The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Durham College Allocation Thread (for 2015 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RebeccaLK
Is it?? I was kind of worried about that, I love singing and drama and wanted to continue it at uni
Anyway I have an offer for Law and applied to Castle, can't wait to find out if I get in!

I'm pretty sure it is, in the prospectus it talks about how some of the colleges are very musical whilst others are more sporty, as a university as well it will have really good musical facilities I expect! It's so exciting, I can't wait for college allocations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Gemma1243
I'm pretty sure it is, in the prospectus it talks about how some of the colleges are very musical whilst others are more sporty, as a university as well it will have really good musical facilities I expect! It's so exciting, I can't wait for college allocations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, which college did you apply to, and for which subject?
Reply 42
Original post by WilJones138
Applied for Engineering at Mary's no offer yet, but the more I've been waiting the more I've begun to think to myself my college doesn't matter nearly as much as it did when I first applied, a place at any college would make me happy :P Mary's is lovely though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your application goes to the department first, regardless of the college! So whatever college you apply to has no effect on your chanced of getting in to the university :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Didn't really care about colleges when I applied (lol that was a mistake) and put down Butler. How far apart are colleges from each other? Are they like next door or miles away or 10 minute walk etc? Can someone link me to a map of all the colleges and all departments? I will be reading chemistry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
Didn't really care about colleges when I applied (lol that was a mistake) and put down Butler. How far apart are colleges from each other? Are they like next door or miles away or 10 minute walk etc? Can someone link me to a map of all the colleges and all departments? I will be reading chemistry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The colleges on the hill are about 5 mins from each other (where Butler is) and the colleges In the Bailey about the same- they're about 15/20 mins from each other though 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've applied for Natural sciences and Biological sciences at Durham too. Got offers for both of them and now waiting for college allocation. I've applied to St Chad's but I know that it's a very popular college so I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, which college did you apply to, and for which subject?

Geography BA to Josephine Butler as I wanted to be self catered :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gemma1243
I think I have finally decided that it will be, for me my choice was between Exeter and Durham but I think Exeter will be my insurance (although I'm not sure I'm comfortable with such high insurance grades) you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's a good idea! :smile: Is your Durham offer AAA? What grades do you have to get for Exeter? I think Durham will probably be my firm. For me it was between Durham and St Andrews so I think St Andrews will be my insurance.
Original post by Sapphire321
Yeah, that's a good idea! :smile: Is your Durham offer AAA? What grades do you have to get for Exeter? I think Durham will probably be my firm. For me it was between Durham and St Andrews so I think St Andrews will be my insurance.

No my offer is A*AA whereas Exeter is AAA 😳 what was your offer for St Andrews? Glad you've chosen Durham :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an offer about 3 weeks ago and I have applied to University College to study maths, I know it is really oversubscribed so it is a bit of a shot in the dark but it looks beautiful! :smile:
Original post by Dylann

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, Butler is a very popular college as long as you want self catered! The hill colleges: Butler, Collingwood, Grey, St Aidan's, St Mary's, Trevelyan and Van Mildert are close to each other and very near (5-10 mins away from) the science site. The bailey colleges: Hatfield, St Chad's, St John's, St Cuthbert's and University are all close to each other in the centre of town. They are about 20 mins walk away from the science site. St Hild & St Bede is on it's own out the other end of town. It is about 30-40 mins away from the science site. Here is a link to the map from the Durham website: https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/choosing/map/
I've applied for Anthropology and Archaeology! Still waiting for the college allocation :biggrin:
Reply 52
Applied for Physics and St Chads, although not too fussed if I don't get in, as long as i'm in a college I like on the open day!
Is it?? I was kind of worried about that, I love singing and drama and wanted to continue it at uni
Anyway I have an offer for Law and applied to Castle, can't wait to find out if I get in!

Snap! I've an offer for law too and I've applied for castle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by victoriatayylor
Snap! I've an offer for law too and I've applied for castle

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome! If we both get in maybe I'll see you at an open day :smile:
Reply 55
Applied to Durham twice. Have an unconditional offer for Combined Honours at Durham :biggrin: still waiting for a reply for History :rolleyes:. Applied to Josephine Butler, but kinda hoping i get allocated to Collingwood :colondollar:.

(I applied to Durham last year and firmed an offer from Collingwood, although my preference was Butler, but backed out at the last minute :redface: and went to Newcastle uni. I've now withdrawn from Newcastle and will be going to Durham in October! :biggrin:)
Reply 56
Original post by XmollyX
Applied to Durham twice. Have an unconditional offer for Combined Honours at Durham :biggrin: still waiting for a reply for History :rolleyes:. Applied to Josephine Butler, but kinda hoping i get allocated to Collingwood :colondollar:.

(I applied to Durham last year and firmed an offer from Collingwood, although my preference was Butler, but backed out at the last minute :redface: and went to Newcastle uni. I've now withdrawn from Newcastle and will be going to Durham in October! :biggrin:)

Maybe email them telling them you'd prefer Collingwood over Butler? Seems like now is best before everyone is allocated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Don't worry, Butler is a very popular college as long as you want self catered! The hill colleges: Butler, Collingwood, Grey, St Aidan's, St Mary's, Trevelyan and Van Mildert are close to each other and very near (5-10 mins away from) the science site. The bailey colleges: Hatfield, St Chad's, St John's, St Cuthbert's and University are all close to each other in the centre of town. They are about 20 mins walk away from the science site. St Hild & St Bede is on it's own out the other end of town. It is about 30-40 mins away from the science site. Here is a link to the map from the Durham website: https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/choosing/map/

Thank you, very helpful!
Reply 58
Oh hi again knope, what have you been up to recently? :smile: I've still not been that well so that's why I decided to apply again for 2015 entry. I'm better than I was now though so hopefully I can actually go this time! I think Durham will probably be my firm (I finally decided between Durham and St Andrews haha). :tongue: Are you going to the post application open day this year?

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what made you pick durham over andrews?

I still roll in bed trying to decide between the two :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Got an offer for anthropology and sociology and applied for university college :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest