The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Why do Imperial College not interview Life Science applicants?

I was looking at the courses offered by Imperial College London and I realised for the Life Sciences courses (Biology, Biochemistry and Biotechnology) say, "Generally, we do not hold interviews." This seemed to me to be rather bizarre particularly for such a selective and high-ranking university. Does anyone know whether there is a reason for this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think they're as competitive for these subjects as compared to say, mechanical engineering.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Azzer11
I was looking at the courses offered by Imperial College London and I realised for the Life Sciences courses (Biology, Biochemistry and Biotechnology) say, "Generally, we do not hold interviews." This seemed to me to be rather bizarre particularly for such a selective and high-ranking university. Does anyone know whether there is a reason for this?

When I was flicking through the prospectus I wondered this as well as it seemed extremely odd to me. I'm not too sure if that is a good or a bad things that they don't interview.
Reply 3
Original post by BIOCH3M
When I was flicking through the prospectus I wondered this as well as it seemed extremely odd to me. I'm not too sure if that is a good or a bad things that they don't interview.

Yeah that's how I noticed to so I went on their website to find out more. Apparently it's not as competitive but I don't really know for sure.
Reply 4
Original post by Azzer11
Yeah that's how I noticed to so I went on their website to find out more. Apparently it's not as competitive but I don't really know for sure.

Are you in year 12 or 13?
I found it very strange too, I heard 75% get offers or something.
Reply 5
Original post by BIOCH3M
Are you in year 12 or 13?
I found it very strange too, I heard 75% get offers or something.

Wow that seems very high for such a competitive university. I'm in year 12.
Reply 6
Original post by Azzer11
Wow that seems very high for such a competitive university. I'm in year 12.

Me too, I'm hoping to study biological sciences - how about you?
Just because they don't hold interviews for a particular course, it doesn't mean the course isn't reputable. I got offers from Imperial and UCL without interview and both courses are reputable. Also to mention, LSE do not hold interviews (from what I heard).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by BIOCH3M
Me too, I'm hoping to study biological sciences - how about you?

I'm considering a few science-based courses at the moment such as Natural Sciences, Biochemistry and biological sciences too.
Reply 9
Original post by Raymat
Just because they don't hold interviews for a particular course, it doesn't mean the courses isn't reputable. I got offers from Imperial and UCL without interview and both courses are reputable. Also to mention, LSE do not hold interviews (from what I heard).

That's true but it seemed unusual to me how they ask for interviews for most of the other courses but not that particular one. May I ask which courses you got an offer for at Imperial and UCL?
Original post by Azzer11

Interviews cost money and staff resources to hold. The university has to look at how much interview performance predicts uni performance and what % of decisions will the interview change compared to if there was no interview. These will vary by course. If there isn't a large benefit of holding an interview, why bother given the cost?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azzer11
That's true but it seemed unusual to me how they ask for interviews for most of the other courses but not that particular one. May I ask which courses you got an offer for at Imperial and UCL?

Imperial-Biotechnology BSc (J700)
UCL-Engineering (Biochemical) BEng (H811)
Reply 12
Original post by Asklepios
Interviews cost money and staff resources to hold. The university has to look at how much interview performance predicts uni performance and what % of decisions will the interview change compared to if there was no interview. These will vary by course. If there isn't a large benefit of holding an interview, why bother given the cost?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that's true I guess
Reply 13
Original post by Raymat
Imperial-Biotechnology BSc (J700)
UCL-Engineering (Biochemical) BEng (H811)

What type of work experience did you get / extra curriculars? As they don't interview I assume they place a lot of importance on predicated grades and personal statement.
Original post by BIOCH3M
What type of work experience did you get / extra curriculars? As they don't interview I assume they place a lot of importance on predicated grades and personal statement.

I just mentioned a 2 week work placement at a Pharmacy. I also mentioned volunteering for a charity. That is all.
Reply 15
Original post by Raymat
I just mentioned a 2 week work placement at a Pharmacy. I also mentioned volunteering for a charity. That is all.

Last question, but did you have impressive grades then? I'm paranoid about my grades and work experience etc... letting me down.
Original post by BIOCH3M
Last question, but did you have impressive grades then? I'm paranoid about my grades and work experience etc... letting me down.

I have very good grades but I don't really want to mention it. I'm very advantaged due to a few reasons; I am the first in my family to go university. I come from a poor borough that performs badly in education. I come from a poor background. I attended an academically poor school which had pass rate of 41% for my year so I can understand how I got these offers.
Hi, I am currently in my final year of Biochemistry at Imperial College London. As far as I know, the students that got admitted usually have at least one A* and 2As for their A-level. Additionally they also have work experience. They particular pay attention to your predicted grades and your references, I think. Hope this helps!
Original post by faezhafez
Hi, I am currently in my final year of Biochemistry at Imperial College London. As far as I know, the students that got admitted usually have at least one A* and 2As for their A-level. Additionally they also have work experience. They particular pay attention to your predicted grades and your references, I think. Hope this helps!

1) How hard is Biochemistry?
2) Do you find the course interesting?
3) How does it compare to Biotechnology?
4) What are the job prospects for a Life Sciences degree from Imperial? Where can it lead me to?
5) Are you guaranteed a job after graduation?
Reply 19
Original post by faezhafez

Ah okay, I guess that's good as it retains a high standard but it also takes off the pressures of interviews. How have you found it at Imperial?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending