The Student Room Group

Intermediate Maths Challenge - UKMT - 5th February 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roisamazin
Thanks so much :biggrin:

No problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I usually get best in year, but I'm worried that i won't get it this year cuz i got a low score. :frown: Does anyone else live in Leeds or just meh?
For some reason, this year was much easier than previous years...
Original post by Shavi4325

I thought this year was harder lol
Original post by Dizgurl
I thought this year was harder lol

Me too.
Imo gcse and A-level maths are for every pupil, so they are not designed to challenge a real mathematical brain. However, real maths is not simply putting values into the given formula. Better mathematician should know how to apply mathematical knowledge to solve difficult problems.
Original post by 9753186420
Imo gcse and A-level maths are for every pupil, so they are not designed to challenge a real mathematical brain. However, real maths is not simply putting values into the given formula. Better mathematician should know how to apply mathematical knowledge to solve difficult problems.

I agree, said this earlier too.
That's clearly, why it's called a maths challenge :wink: which is the reason why people struggle with it.
Original post by Shavi4325

Seconded.
Well for IMC they don't really challenge a real mathematical brain either. For these challenge you need to know basic maths and you need to think outside the box. IMC is more logical than mathematical as I've said previously. Thats why its so hard for some, like me
(edited 9 years ago)
Seconded.

What do you mean by seconded?
When are the Olympiads?
Original post by Dizgurl
What do you mean by seconded?

a. To endorse (a motion or nomination) as a required preliminary to discussion or vote.
b. To support or promote: e.g., Her suggestion was seconded by several colleagues.
Original post by Dizgurl
Well for IMC they don't really challenge a real mathematical brain either. For these challenge you need to know basic maths and you need to think outside the box. IMC is more logical than mathematical as I've said previously. Thats why its so hard for some, like me

I agree that IMC is not really challenging, especially when you only managed to do the first 20 questions. SMC is better but not by much either.
I agree that IMC is not really challenging, especially when you only managed to do the first 20 questions. SMC is better but not by much either.

I haven't done the SMC however I've been told by lots that its a quite a lot easier than IMC mostly because its more maths and less logic.
a. To endorse (a motion or nomination) as a required preliminary to discussion or vote.
b. To support or promote: e.g., Her suggestion was seconded by several colleagues.

Lol lmao
Nice definition xD
Original post by Dizgurl
I haven't done the SMC however I've been told by lots that its a quite a lot easier than IMC mostly because its more maths and less logic.

+1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know the answer?:

Find all integers a, b and c that satisfy the following system of equations:

ab + 5 = c
bc + 1 = a
ca + 1 = b
Original post by theworkkid
Anyone know the answer?:

Find all integers a, b and c that satisfy the following system of equations:

ab + 5 = c
bc + 1 = a
ca + 1 = b

It says integers so a good first step would probably be to try to establish some bounds. Either that or create a factorisable expression, problems like these usually have nice solutions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending