The Student Room Group

I want to change sixth forms for year 13, but exam boards aren't the same!

Okay, so. I went to a new sixth form after year 11, moving away from my old school and all of my friends, in hope of a new start. Big mistake.

I chose my new school because of how amazing it set up the art department to be, because I want to do art at Uni. But it's terrible. I never get help, I've had a project sitting around for months because my teachers are apparently too busy to help me; it's basically all independent work and the teachers just don't care like they did at my old school.

So, next year (year 13) I'd like to change back to my old school, but I'm just not sure where to start. My subjects are on separate exam boards at both schools, so I don't know if it would even be possible for me to move.

One of my four subjects, Philosophy, is not taught at my old school. But I wouldn't mind dropping it. My issue is the remaining three subjects not having the same exam boards.

I'm willing to catch up on the year 12 work during summer if I do get to switch back, but would that be possible?
(edited 9 years ago)
Not an expert but I'm pretty sure you can just carry on and continue as you would since you can convert your UMS scores from one board to another

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I couldn't transfer my ums marks when I changed sixth forms and had to redo the whole of AS in the different exam board

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by roselestrange
Okay, so. I went to a new sixth form after year 11, moving away from my old school and all of my friends, in hope of a new start. Big mistake.

So, next year (year 13) I'd like to change back to my old school, but I'm just not sure where to start. All of my subjects are on separate exam boards at both schools, so I don't know if it would even be possible for me to move.

One of my four subjects, Philosophy, is not taught at my old school. But I wouldn't mind dropping it. My issue is the remaining three subjects not having the same exam boards.

I'm willing to catch up on the year 12 work during summer if I do get to switch back, but would that be possible?

It's a widely held misconception that you can't swap boards (including by some schools and colleges) but most of the time you can swap at the end of AS. You can't move individual units around but you can transfer a whole AS level to another board for most subjects and most boards. It's called a 'Transfer of credit' and the rules are here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit

To do it, the old centre has to cash you in (which they probably do anyway), the new centre has to submit a transfer request by October of Year 13 and you have to indicate on it then any AS units you intend to re-sit (you have to re-sit with your original AS board). It's about 10 minutes work for an exam officer who knows what they're doing.

Which subjects are you taking and with which boards?

p.s. You should also check that the timetable will work at a new centre for the subjects you want to take - it may be that 2 of your subjects are timetabled at the same time.
Original post by Compost
It's a widely held misconception that you can't swap boards (including by some schools and colleges) but most of the time you can swap at the end of AS. You can't move individual units around but you can transfer a whole AS level to another board for most subjects and most boards. It's called a 'Transfer of credit' and the rules are here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit

To do it, the old centre has to cash you in (which they probably do anyway), the new centre has to submit a transfer request by October of Year 13 and you have to indicate on it then any AS units you intend to re-sit (you have to re-sit with your original AS board). It's about 10 minutes work for an exam officer who knows what they're doing.

Which subjects are you taking and with which boards?

p.s. You should also check that the timetable will work at a new centre for the subjects you want to take - it may be that 2 of your subjects are timetabled at the same time.

Thank you! :smile: And wait, I have to re-sit my exams?

I'm currently taking EDEXCEL fine art, which luckily my old school is on the same exam board on.

AQA English Lit, will be switching to OCR.

WJEC Religious studies, will be switching to OCR.
Reply 5
Thank you! :smile: And wait, I have to re-sit my exams?

I'm currently taking EDEXCEL fine art, which luckily my old school is on the same exam board on.

AQA English Lit, will be switching to OCR.

WJEC Religious studies, will be switching to OCR.

You don't have to re-sit, but it is possible (on the AS exam board) if you want.

The rules say:
English Lit - All transfers are acceptable in principle
RE - All transfers are acceptable in principle
Both do talk about the details though (e.g you can't study the same set book at AS and A2) so you do need to make sure that it will work for you.
Original post by Compost
You don't have to re-sit, but it is possible (on the AS exam board) if you want.

The rules say:
English Lit - All transfers are acceptable in principle
RE - All transfers are acceptable in principle
Both do talk about the details though (e.g you can't study the same set book at AS and A2) so you do need to make sure that it will work for you.

Okay, thank you very much! What site are you getting this info? Just so I can save a link. And I'm thinking of going to speak to my old school about moving there before I speak to my current school. Would that be a good approach?
Reply 7
Okay, thank you very much! What site are you getting this info? Just so I can save a link. And I'm thinking of going to speak to my old school about moving there before I speak to my current school. Would that be a good approach?

from the link I posted earlier http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit- you have to read the pdf GCE AS Transfer of Credit Arrangemnts.

Yes, talk to your old school. If they say they don't think it's possible to transfer boards (it's amazing how many schools don't seem to know you can) then ask them to check with the Exams Officer and give them the link.
Original post by Compost
from the link I posted earlier http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit- you have to read the pdf GCE AS Transfer of Credit Arrangemnts.

Yes, talk to your old school. If they say they don't think it's possible to transfer boards (it's amazing how many schools don't seem to know you can) then ask them to check with the Exams Officer and give them the link.

aah thank you. :smile: Just one more thing, on the pdf it says 'An application must be made using the JCQ Transfer of Credit form by no later than 21October 2014 for A-level certification which is being sought in the June 2015 examinationseries'... doesn't this mean that I can't change because it's too late?
Reply 9
aah thank you. :smile: Just one more thing, on the pdf it says 'An application must be made using the JCQ Transfer of Credit form by no later than 21October 2014 for A-level certification which is being sought in the June 2015 examinationseries'... doesn't this mean that I can't change because it's too late?

The instructions currently available are for this academic year - they'll up date the dates for next year. You need to apply in the October after you've completed your AS and before you take your A2.
Original post by Compost
The instructions currently available are for this academic year - they'll up date the dates for next year. You need to apply in the October after you've completed your AS and before you take your A2.

Ah okay. But I start A2 in September...
I had this exact problem...changed sixth forms between Y12/13 but wanted to continue German A-Level. Met with the head of department at the new sixth form prior to starting, who explained what I'd need to do and that it wasn't a problem. I had to decide in September of Y13 whether I wanted to re-sit any of my modules but luckily I felt I didn't need to once it came to results day. That would fit with what somebody else said about an October deadline too? Anyway, it's nothing to worry about and loads of people do it! I guess you might have to start at your new sixth form straight after your exams though, as a lot of places tend to start A2 in those 6 or so weeks after exams and before the summer holidays! :smile:
Ah okay. But I start A2 in September...

I meant before you take the A2 exams.

Quick Reply

Latest