The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

*pulled
They all deserve their place. That's why they're there.
Reply 3
Original post by Gott
I've heard that Bath should be

Bath should replace Cardiff.
Original post by grassntai
Which universities don't deserve their place? :rolleyes:

Well to start off with, although the Russell Group has come to be synonymous with 'prestige' due to the fact that a number of 'prestigious' institutions are part of it, the group at its core is simply a collection of Universities that attract the most research funding.

If a selected few Universities such as Oxbridge and LSE were to leave the group, it wouldn't hold much weight anymore. The lower russells essentially feed of the reputations of the top ones in the group.

Liverpool, Newcastle, Queen Mary, Leeds and Southampton imo, don't really compete with the top russells. Yet they are members due to the funding they attract.

Some smaller institutions like Bath, soas, Andews probably deserve a place.
Reply 5
Original post by Gott
Is that where you go and you seek vindication of your dissatisfaction OP?

Nice try.

I'm just trying to start an interesting debate :smile:
I've always thought it a bit odd LSE being in there given how small its research income is relative to the rest of the group.
Original post by Smack
I've always thought it a bit odd LSE being in there given how small its research income is relative to the rest of the group.

dat prestige doe:colone:
Original post by Edminzodo
They all deserve their place. That's why they're there.

I think what OP means is that, since the russell group has become synonymous with 'prestige', which Universities are essentially feeding off the prestige of the top universities in the group by virtue of having joined due to the funding they attract.
Reply 9
Original post by Smack

It's small because it just researches into economics rather than a broader spectrum of subjects!

Common sense.
Reply 10
Original post by grassntai
Which universities don't deserve their place? :rolleyes:

+ If we had to shrink the numbers down to 8-9 like the Ivy Leagues which universities should remain?

You can't compare the russell group to the ivy league. The russell group is based on research, while the ivy league is an inter-collegate sporting event.

Imo, Cardiff, QUB and Newcastle should go.
Queen Mary, Liverpool, Cardiff, Newcastle, Exeter, QUB, Southampton, Sheffield.

Then group LSE, UCL, KCL together as one entity (partial) UoL, let St Andrews in. This makes 15, a good number.

Make Durham, York, Nottingham, Glasgow, Leeds associate members. This makes 10.

Make Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, London, Edinburgh core members. Termed it the 'Big Five'.
I think both Bath and Lancaster deserve to be Russell Group universities although I don't see how Bristol is one.
a lot of people assume leicester is russel group. i think it kinda deserves it
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
I think what OP means is that, since the russell group has become synonymous with 'prestige', which Universities are essentially feeding off the prestige of the top universities in the group by virtue of having joined due to the funding they attract.

Yeah, obviously not thinking about research. Nowadays schools would have their school-leaving results presented as '78% of our pupils got an offer from an RG university' which is meaningless when they could potentially all have received an offer from Queen Mary or Oxbridge.
Original post by Smack

They have excellent fame and reputation in and out of academia, so that's no reason why they shouldn't be there.

Their research power is also strengthened by being a part of the University of London still.
I think Liverpool should be pulled.
Reply 17
Original post by Raymat
Queen Mary should be out of the Russel Group. They accept BCC grade students sometimes. What a joke!!

lol. I know someone who got offers to study chemistry in UCL and KCL and got rejected from Queen Mary :redface:
Reply 18
Why do people keep saying newcastle? It's a top 20 uni with entry requirements of Aaa (for my course anyway).

and no I don't go to newcastle
(edited 9 years ago)
Loughborough and Bath are both strong enough to easily be in the group based on research output, but the group really shouldn't be seen the way it is in terms of RG > NRG => better uni. Just look at how they are the 94 group are defined.