The Student Room Group

Pharmacy or Nursing????

Hello,
I'm currently at college and thinking of going to Pharmacy uni. But recently I've read some pieces of information about surplus of pharmacists and this concerns me a lot!!!
I dont think becoming a doc is a good idea cos i'm just not good enough. But maybe Nursing is a better idea??? Is nursing in demand right now? Which one is more in demand?
Does anyone know about this? Please give me advice:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Do pharmacy. Even with a Surplus you'll always get work even just as a locum. You'll make Atleast triple what a nurse does too ,
Original post by SnooFnoo
Do pharmacy. Even with a Surplus you'll always get work even just as a locum. You'll make Atleast triple what a nurse does too ,

And i guess if i could get into one of the top 20 universities it would be easier to get a job??
Original post by Scarlett2111
And i guess if i could get into one of the top 20 universities it would be easier to get a job??

Yep!
DO NOT do nursing unless you have a big passion for it and have work experience in the nursing field. It is an extremely demanding job with horrible shift patterns, it's not what a lot of people expect it to be and the drop out rates are crazy high because people go into it and then can't hack it :smile:
Original post by Physflop
DO NOT do nursing unless you have a big passion for it and have work experience in the nursing field. It is an extremely demanding job with horrible shift patterns, it's not what a lot of people expect it to be and the drop out rates are crazy high because people go into it and then can't hack it :smile:

Yes i see your point thats why im thinking of children nursing instead of mental health or learning disability as they're obviously much more demanding
Yes i see your point thats why im thinking of children nursing instead of mental health or learning disability as they're obviously much more demanding

Paeds is just as demanding. And has the same shift patterns, same pay. fewer jobs too.
Paeds is just as demanding. And has the same shift patterns, same pay. fewer jobs too.

ohhhh so nursing seems like a horrible idea :frown: :frown: :frown:
ohhhh so nursing seems like a horrible idea :frown: :frown: :frown:

dont be a nurse both my parents are nurses and i tell u this....... it is not good
psychologist? thats what im aiming for
Original post by scrawlx101
psychologist? thats what im aiming for

No. cant do cos am not taking a levels psychology
No. cant do cos am not taking a levels psychology

you dont need psychology to do it
Original post by scrawlx101
you dont need psychology to do it

ummm okay. am just not very interested in it;( pharmacy and nursing r my only options

They are all equally demanding. (this isn't meant to sound mean) but your lack of knowledge of the profession in that response kinda shows that you shouldn't be going into nursing. If you really are interested then find as job as a healthcare assistant and then see if its definitely your thing :smile:

Wrong.... I have been through it all.....there is few jobs and wages are dropping. Loccuming isnt even an option now for people starting out.

Pharmacy is dying and anyone that goes into it now is off their head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1tartanarmy
Wrong.... I have been through it all.....there is few jobs and wages are dropping. Loccuming isnt even an option now for people starting out.

Pharmacy is dying and anyone that goes into it now is off their head.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what u said is exactly like what i saw on the internet. thats why i really doubt my choice right now :-??
Original post by Physflop
They are all equally demanding. (this isn't meant to sound mean) but your lack of knowledge of the profession in that response kinda shows that you shouldn't be going into nursing. If you really are interested then find as job as a healthcare assistant and then see if its definitely your thing :smile:

dont worry its true cos i've never actually done research abt it and yes like u said im trying to find job like befriender to see how i get on
Reply 17
pharmacy rates are dropping. reports of locums earning £12ph in certain areas. i earn £11 as a pharmacy checking tech. its not worth the 4 years at uni plus your pre reg. at least nursing is capped on intake dependent on predicted jobs. pharmacy is unlimited (despite pressure to change this).

im off to study management, because i cant see why a pharmacy will pay a tech my rate when a pharmacist can cost so little.

nursing isnt limited to a band 5 - you can progress
Hello,
I'm currently at college and thinking of going to Pharmacy uni. But recently I've read some pieces of information about surplus of pharmacists and this concerns me a lot!!!
I dont think becoming a doc is a good idea cos i'm just not good enough. But maybe Nursing is a better idea??? Is nursing in demand right now? Which one is more in demand?

Base your decision on the subject matter of the job, not whether there are nurses/pharmacists in surplus. Why, by the time you qualify, the situation could be very different!

As a pharmacist, you will be solely responsible for your undertakings and you will likely have many people of whom you are in charge. Whereas as a nurse, you are likely to start off with poor jobs and have a big hierarchy to climb. I'd make that a major consideration.

Also, it's absolutely essential that you get work experience in both fields. This will likely help you decide which path you wish to follow. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Hello,

Hi there :smile: I know this is an old post, so not sure if I'll get a reply haha, but what did you pick in the end? I left pharmacy for nursing and I'm not sure if I regret the decision as I HATE ward work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending