The Student Room Group

What will our generation frown upon, that our grandchildren will find acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by jammy4041
"...how can you discount the idea that there is another system we don't yet know of that we would move to?"

Marx had that idea about 150 years ago. Which was my point. But it's not a view that I would agree with.

Things are not linear. It's not a steady progression from 'not frowned upon' to 'frowned upon'...

Some things become taboo, become harmless and taboo again. Some things also shift from not being frowned upon to being frowned upon to not frown upon.

OT, my guess would be something like marijuana or something.

You are aware that more and more research is coming out about the dangers of marijuana? You do also know that the government in Holland are going to add further restrictions to its use because it's become so prevalent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by Wade-
We will never move beyond capitalism.

I find it hard to imagine certain countries ever needing to do that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technology doing everything for us will mean no one will be able to work and so capitalism would fail and we would resort to communism as that is the only way the human race would survive.

As much as I like technology it's moving too fast in ways I don't want it to.
everything besides murder and religion apparently
Reply 83
Original post by Ozzin
Technology doing everything for us will mean no one will be able to work and so capitalism would fail and we would resort to communism as that is the only way the human race would survive.

As much as I like technology it's moving too fast in ways I don't want it to.

So you think in the next 40 years humans will be essentially redundant and robots will do everything? The government would obviously regulate if people were constantly getting laid off

Also what do you mean it's moving too quickly? In what ways?
Original post by orange crush
Something I've been thinking about a lot recently.

LGBT+ rights have been the big thing of the last few years. Most youngsters fully embrace and support this, but our grandparents are far more split on the issues, many preferring more traditional values.

Going back to when they were our age, the suffrage movement and women getting the vote was the movement back then. Again older people (even some women) were less open to the change.

When we're pensioners what do you think will become acceptable that we may frown upon?

Group marriages is one, perhaps.

You'd actually be surprised at how many young people are still quite homophobic - especially "LAD" types.
Reply 85
Original post by Wade-
So you think in the next 40 years humans will be essentially redundant and robots will do everything? The government would obviously regulate if people were constantly getting laid off

Also what do you mean it's moving too quickly? In what ways?

Yes I do and why would they? Robots would make our food, fix our electricity and technical problems, do surgery, do the small amount of accounting left to do, fight wars for us, do our legal work. If it is more economically viable to replace high cost humans with low-cost, high efficiency robots then companies will do it and governments will replace lower ranks and eventually be replaced by un-biased, more efficient robots.

And I mean the automation of things is increasing, there's cool technology like google glass and micro-drug delivery and loads of other things but its the automation that worries me.
Original post by Wade-
You are aware that more and more research is coming out about the dangers of marijuana? You do also know that the government in Holland are going to add further restrictions to its use because it's become so prevalent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, and that would reinforce how things are circular. Less restriction to more restriction in this generation...who knows where it could go?
Reply 87
Original post by Ozzin
Yes I do and why would they? Robots would make our food, fix our electricity and technical problems, do surgery, do the small amount of accounting left to do, fight wars for us, do our legal work. If it is more economically viable to replace high cost humans with low-cost, high efficiency robots then companies will do it and governments will replace lower ranks and eventually be replaced by un-biased, more efficient robots.

And I mean the automation of things is increasing, there's cool technology like google glass and micro-drug delivery and loads of other things but its the automation that worries me.

That would cause an economic collapse and essentially force communism which means that all the rich people who tried to save money by using robots instead of people will lose their money.

How are Google glasses putting people out of a job? Besides Google glasses were so bad they've been scrapped and they're starting all over again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Right, and that would reinforce how things are circular. Less restriction to more restriction in this generation...who knows where it could go?

No it just shows how we're beginning to understand just how harmful cannabis can be so we're less likely to make it legal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by Wade-
That would cause an economic collapse and essentially force communism which means that all the rich people who tried to save money by using robots instead of people will lose their money.

How are Google glasses putting people out of a job? Besides Google glasses were so bad they've been scrapped and they're starting all over again

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said google glass wasn't.
Original post by Wade-
No it just shows how we're beginning to understand just how harmful cannabis can be so we're less likely to make it legal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which is right now, why our generation is more likely to frown upon it. In a way, it's a reverse of the question, since previous generations did not have that view, and were more accepting of marijuana. There's nothing to suggest that in the future, new information can come to light and stuff, and well, would cause future generations to have a new view. things come round in circles.

I don't want to make this a debate about drugs...it's not something that I think is a good thing, but I respect the right of people to take said drugs...as long as they know of the consequences.
Reply 91
manspreading
Original post by jimbo007
The system we have is certainly the most convenient I can think of. What we have is a watered down version of social Darwinism, which is fundamentally what we see in all species, therefore people argue it is the best system. However, why be content with a system that has such huge flaws and crippling inequalities; it is NOT feasibly possible for a kid born in rural Africa where they have no education, water, food etc. to become rich. Therefore it isn't survival of the fittest, but survival of those born in a developed country preferably with rich parents.

I'm not necessarily saying Marxism is the answer, what I'm arguing is don't be content with a system that is unfair because it fits into our convenience and our animal nature. We have an imperfect society, why settle for that? Why not strive for improving society?

What does foreign affairs have to do with the quality of life in your own society? You're thinking too globally; we have no obligation to feed and clothe the unwashed masses of the world. We have an obligation to clothe and wash our own people.

Who says "crippling inequalities" are necessarily a bad thing? Survival of the fittest has many nuances to it, and one of those nuances is resource supply. We're not just lucky that our ancestors learned how to farm, fertilise soil and cultivate the land. The Africans aren't just unlucky that their ancestors failed in doing so. They just failed, we can't help that. The South Africans wouldn't be where they are today without Dutch-Anglo influences.
Definitely polyamorous relationships. It's becoming a 'thing' I don't like the idea of it but I still don't think it's something our generation will discriminate, just not understand.
Reply 94
Which is right now, why our generation is more likely to frown upon it. In a way, it's a reverse of the question, since previous generations did not have that view, and were more accepting of marijuana. There's nothing to suggest that in the future, new information can come to light and stuff, and well, would cause future generations to have a new view. things come round in circles.

I don't want to make this a debate about drugs...it's not something that I think is a good thing, but I respect the right of people to take said drugs...as long as they know of the consequences.

Most of the things that were acceptable then unacceptable and then acceptable again usually don't go back to being acceptable again after scientific research has shown it to be harmful

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read a book once upon a time and it was using paper that the people in the future found disgusting. Cutting down trees for newspapers and the likes. Eventually everything will be on screens.
I have just a bad imagination. What if the population worldwide will increase from 7 billions to, say, 12 billions in our grandchildren's future? What if it comes to a food shortage, lack of space, increase of poverty, an increase number of people who need (fincancial) welfares? would our grandchildren accept a violent reduction of population by executions or by shooting (as in the case of an overpopulation of wild animals in an biocenosis)? would such a vile crime against humanity come to reality? would our grandchildren lost the last spark of humanity completely just to survive?

What a horrible future where killing people is a part of the everyday life of our after next generation and legitimate...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending