The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Still can't get over Seahawks' last play call.
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/2/2/7962125/pete-carroll-postgame-press-conference-quotes

If anyone hasn't seen this about who called the play, and why...

I think Pete's really just protecting Bevell.

If you're new to the NFL, or want to learn more about the tactics behind NFL, check out fieldgulls. It's written about the Seahawks, but the analysis is really good, and you'll learn about different tactics etc
He should protect Bevell because throwing a guy under the bus for one bad call would be a bad move for the organisation, and as head coach he is responsible to do right by the team.

NFL coaches are very cognizant of the fact that they do not make good decisions in the heat of the moment. If you look up how Bill Walsh used to plan, he did it so that pretty much none of his decision making was done on the day of the game. He would have a script of 15-30 plays for normal situations, then scripts for backed up offense, 3rd and 3 offense, 3rd and short, 3rd and long, red zone, 20 yard line first down (a lot of shots to the end zone). You could also add in special 2nd and 1 plays because that is a prime moment for taking big shots. Modern teams probably have a 2 minute script and a 4 minute script too. So most of the play calling was actually done by Thursday in game week and the only decisions he had to make on the fly were minor adjustments. The point I'm making is, that special situation that was impossible to prepare for is not what should define Bevell's career, and certainly not his status with the Hawks.
Also for a late reply to something Malevolent said about Browner, I didn't see him on the play but I agree that he is pretty underrated in general. He frustrates fans because he gets flagged too often, but most corners need to play on the edge of the rules to be successful. Revis always has. Even if he's not your number 1 guy it is really really useful to have a big body like that to use situationally, and I think pretty much any team would be lucky to have him.
Original post by SmashConcept
Also for a late reply to something Malevolent said about Browner, I didn't see him on the play but I agree that he is pretty underrated in general. He frustrates fans because he gets flagged too often, but most corners need to play on the edge of the rules to be successful. Revis always has. Even if he's not your number 1 guy it is really really useful to have a big body like that to use situationally, and I think pretty much any team would be lucky to have him.

The play the Hawks were trying to run a pick route but Browner managed to jam( manhandle) his man at LOS so he couldn't get it off. I agree though Browner was a huge pickup for us and the intensity he brings is absolutely huge.

Gronkowski and Edelman just doing what they do at the parade. Not happy about Blount and Bolden with the shirt, was a very poor move by those two.
Original post by Wattsy
Get yourself GamePass and re-watch/ watch the season highlights? That way you feel like you have football. I watch whatever Sky has on so I've seen about 28 blowouts this season. I'll go back if I've got time and watch some of the closer games. I may not have time though. This post is my 5 minute pomodoro technique break :frown:

I can't watch Gamepass in the States. I might be watching some youtube'd football games, but there's only so much I can take!!!
Original post by Rollin'
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/2/2/7962125/pete-carroll-postgame-press-conference-quotes

If anyone hasn't seen this about who called the play, and why...

I think Pete's really just protecting Bevell.

If you're new to the NFL, or want to learn more about the tactics behind NFL, check out fieldgulls. It's written about the Seahawks, but the analysis is really good, and you'll learn about different tactics etc

There's one for each NFL team on SB Nation. it's pretty good. The ones for College football on SB nation are even better. Saturday Down South (regarding the SEC) is pretty good for SEC College football.

Original post by Kenan and Kel

Original post by Malevolent
The play the Hawks were trying to run a pick route but Browner managed to jam( manhandle) his man at LOS so he couldn't get it off. I agree though Browner was a huge pickup for us and the intensity he brings is absolutely huge.

Gronkowski and Edelman just doing what they do at the parade. Not happy about Blount and Bolden with the shirt, was a very poor move by those two.

Really Blount!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I get talking trash, but have some class...it's not the Pats organization, so my hate isn't directed at the Pats organization, but jeez, he was lucky to have another NFL chance, yet alone a plum job with the Pats, after what happened in Pittsburgh. How does any Pats player want to come out and say that after Lynch got over 5 yards a carry on them, 24 carries for 101 yards, 1 catch for 31 yards and 2 TDs (1 rush TD, 1 receiving TD)? Blount of all people should keep shush....when he was shut down in that game, after the first quarter. And yes, the same Marshawn Lynch who in reflecting the call, came out and said football was a team sport. Yeah...that sounds like a real diva.

Browner's a bit of a loose cannon...and as well as the flags is only another failed drugs test away from a big, big suspension. But he played well and had a big season, as well as an excellent superbowl. Big and physical is the trend with corners now, but there's few better in press coverage than him.
(edited 9 years ago)
Julian edelman was absolutely smashed at the parade aha
Hmm...interesting...http://den.scout.com/story/1510592-report-rahim-moore-on-his-way-out-in-denver

Am I sad??...it depends on whether there's a better free safety available in the draft. Sadly, he's not the player he was before his horrible leg injury.

However, he will be an upgrade for a team such as Jacksonville in Free Agency, if he hits the open market. And I'm glad to call him a Bronco. Resigning at the Veteran minimum would be good for depth, although if Kavon Webster is converted to FS, then well, I could see the Broncos picking up the best FS available in the draft, probably moving up in round two to get their man. I hope Kavon Webster is able to get some game time, so if he converts to FS, and makes it it should be good...however even if he doesn't he's still good depth...

Also, if Kavon Webster is converted...I think it could mean Tony Carter has a higher chance of returning. He's okay...good enough for depth purposes, at near vet minimum rates, and he's flexible...but the draft could be an option...he's not bad in that role, and he's good on Special Teams...
(edited 9 years ago)
[h="1"]Remember the name, Motekiai Langi.[/h]College Football continues to get bigger...http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2015/2/4/7977243/byu-signs-67-410-pound-mean-mugging-lineman

Four hundred and 10 pounds. 6ft 7. Yep, pretty terrifying....he's probably a better NT, but as a RT, he'd should be an impressive run blocker. Move over, LaQuan McGowan, with your pitiful 390lbs!!! :eek::eek:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
NFL Game Pass has gone to £30 offseason pricing for access until July 31 2015.

Hi again, bought the game pass (woo) and I was just wondering how much the renwal will be If I let it keep going? And with the the gamepass in season time can you see every game live?

Thanks
Reply 472
Original post by jakemac
Hi again, bought the game pass (woo) and I was just wondering how much the renwal will be If I let it keep going? And with the the gamepass in season time can you see every game live?

Thanks

I think it's £120 for the year. I'd have it if I didn't have Sky but with Sky I can't justify the expense.
Original post by jakemac

Thanks

Also, the thing to watch out with Gamepass/Audiopass, is that it will automatically renew. I had audiopass through to the end of the wildcard games, and it was alright. Not too much (I think about $15), and I can use it in the US.

The thing is with Gampass, is that the games that are on Sky Sports will be "blacked out" for 48 hours afterwards, which is very annoying (the 6pm and 9.30pm kickoffs, gmt).
Original post by jammy4041
Yeah, I mean looking back, I don't necessarily think it's the wrong play call. My Coach pointed out it made sense, since a complete pass would have been the game, and an incomplete pass would have stopped the clock.

This is one of the reasons why it was the wrong call: Seattle were a) under no time pressure themselves but b) wanted to make sure that when they scored, there was as little time as possible left for New England to try to get a field goal. Stopping the clock unnecessarily is a Bad Thing in that situation - see the situation earlier in the season where someone who should have known better casually left enough time on the clock to lose the game when they could have run it out.

The DB made a clutch play, and got his team the win. .. Seattle were in their hurry up offense, they had 5 lineman, and one TE on the field...and the numbers didn't favor the Seahawks. You don't call a run with that personnel against that personnel.

Yep, you call time out. Or, if you absolutely have to, throw a pass behind the last defender, not in front of several... If the WR had been a couple of inches quicker, it could have ended up with the ball going anywhere as both players went for it. You want a situation where if your player doesn't get it, no-one's getting it - and that's why it was the wrong call.

but at the end of the day, Coach puts his trust in his players to execute...which Seattle didn't.

I've now seen the NFL Films - surely the best coverage of a sport by that sport anywhere - version. It's very interesting to see that Carroll asked Wilson about whether or not to go for a pass at the end of the first half, but not the second. And he couldn't look Lynch in the eye after that play call either. No matter what he says now, he knew he'd done the wrong thing.
Original post by unprinted
This is one of the reasons why it was the wrong call: Seattle were a) under no time pressure themselves but b) wanted to make sure that when they scored, there was as little time as possible left for New England to try to get a field goal. Stopping the clock unnecessarily is a Bad Thing in that situation - see the situation earlier in the season where someone who should have known better casually left enough time on the clock to lose the game when they could have run it out.

Yep, you call time out. Or, if you absolutely have to, throw a pass behind the last defender, not in front of several... If the WR had been a couple of inches quicker, it could have ended up with the ball going anywhere as both players went for it. You want a situation where if your player doesn't get it, no-one's getting it - and that's why it was the wrong call.

I've now seen the NFL Films - surely the best coverage of a sport by that sport anywhere - version. It's very interesting to see that Carroll asked Wilson about whether or not to go for a pass at the end of the first half, but not the second. And he couldn't look Lynch in the eye after that play call either. No matter what he says now, he knew he'd done the wrong thing.

It was the correct playcall considering the personnel on the field. Yes, the Seahawks should have run the football, but they needed their heavies on the field, and that was not the case. Weird substitution cost them, but had they called a run, the patriots would have just stopped the clock, so from a time-management perspective, you could have run or passed, and burnt a similar level of time.
Even if you accept that passing was the right call (which I don't) you throw it to the back of the endzone, where either your player gets it or no-one gets it. Not to somewhere almost on the line of scrimmage, in front of a defensive player. Clearly, he was not expected to get to the ball first, but that he could makes it a bad call.

Having the Patriots lose a timeout is not a bad thing, it's a good one.
The only thing wrong with this is that it proves my memory was wrong - Lynch was in the backfield..

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/2/7/7992745/fire-bevell-part-one-why-all-defenses-of-the-play-call-are-wrong
I'm beyond the point of caring about that last play, to be honest.

Pro football focus did a good job breaking down the play...https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/02/analysis-notebook-super-bowl-xlix-that-play/

They emphasize excellent preparation by the Patriots.

Put it this way, had that come off, the Patriots would have been criticized heavily for keying so hard on the run, and well, Pete Carroll would have been heralded as some sort of super-genius. It happens. Lynch could have fumbled if it was a run...who knows..it's tricky to play that counter-factual game.

It happened. I still think it was the right call -- Wilson would have thrown into Row Z had the matchup not been on, but the WR had plenty of space to get to where the ball should have been, and it was thrown on point. At that point, the WR was expected to get to the ball first. Butler made a great play. Heck, Browner was the most crucial to that play, with his dominating press coverage.

Check the personnel. 11 personnel (1 TE, 1 RB, 3 WR) vs. a goal line package (4 DT, 2 DE, 2LB, 3CB) is not a favorable matchup. Even if you have Adrian Peterson, or Marshawn Lynch and only have to get 1 yard to win a superbowl.

Anyway...onwards and upwards....TO THE COMBINE!!
Agree Browner absolutely manhandled his man at the line of scrimmage. If that doesn't happen most likely Butler wouldn't be able to get there in time.

Quick Reply