The Student Room Group

St. George's UoL GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wilfred87
Hey, i'm one of those with b's and c's at GCSE level! Pretty good for my 16 seconds of revision....:tongue:

Haha, sorry! No offense intended, I was just trying to illustrate that there are people who haven't actually prepared for medicine at all, who have just woken up and gone 'Ooh, I think I'll be a doctor!' and applied last minute, who just get knocked back, but put the 'application' numbers up. Obviously you are not one of these people!

They really need to divide that number up - 'Applications/Serious applicants/Interviews/places'.
Original post by Don'tMessThisUp
Haha, sorry! No offense intended, I was just trying to illustrate that there are people who haven't actually prepared for medicine at all, who have just woken up and gone 'Ooh, I think I'll be a doctor!' and applied last minute, who just get knocked back, but put the 'application' numbers up. Obviously you are not one of these people!

They really need to divide that number up - 'Applications/Serious applicants/Interviews/places'.

Don't worry, none taken!
Reply 322
Swansea offer! Will be declining SGUL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 323
Original post by M150
Swansea offer! Will be declining SGUL

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I'm trying to decide between SGUL and Swansea and I'm a bit stuck. If you don't mind me asking, why Swansea?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 324
Original post by JosieD
Hi, I'm trying to decide between SGUL and Swansea and I'm a bit stuck. If you don't mind me asking, why Swansea?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it's not London :tongue:
Original post by JosieD

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a completely unbiased view, Swansea is a faaaaaaaaaar superior university.

;p

I guess you need to weigh up what you want and where you're going to be. Where are you from before, are you moving away from family and friends either way?
Reply 326
In a completely unbiased view, Swansea is a faaaaaaaaaar superior university.

;p

I guess you need to weigh up what you want and where you're going to be. Where are you from before, are you moving away from family and friends either way?

I'm based in London but I don't really care about the location I'm more interested in the quality of the course and and the day to day experience of the university. I suppose I'm interested to hear what other people have been impressed by on both courses in case there is anything that I didn't think of!
Original post by JosieD
I'm based in London but I don't really care about the location I'm more interested in the quality of the course and and the day to day experience of the university. I suppose I'm interested to hear what other people have been impressed by on both courses in case there is anything that I didn't think of!

Okay, well the reason I was attracted to SGUL was because of the immersive nature of it. There's no distraction there, there's only medicine and the whole place is built around it being about medicine. You're learning in the hospital as opposed to learning in the uni campus; you're more in contact with the professionals. The reason that is why I liked it, is because I've been working in medicine for 10 years now, so I'm really to continue to feel that 'work' atmosphere. It just makes me for more comfortable about going back to uni.

I didn't go for Swansea, simply because I didn't really like Swansea. (I'm a Londoner and there's no getting out of that. I may as well have it printed on my ass)
Reply 328
Original post by JosieD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because if I go to SGUL I have to move back to my parents house. And I really, really loved Swansea at the open day. They just seem so incredible friendly.
Reply 329
Okay, well the reason I was attracted to SGUL was because of the immersive nature of it. There's no distraction there, there's only medicine and the whole place is built around it being about medicine. You're learning in the hospital as opposed to learning in the uni campus; you're more in contact with the professionals. The reason that is why I liked it, is because I've been working in medicine for 10 years now, so I'm really to continue to feel that 'work' atmosphere. It just makes me for more comfortable about going back to uni.

I didn't go for Swansea, simply because I didn't really like Swansea. (I'm a Londoner and there's no getting out of that. I may as well have it printed on my ass)

Lol, thanks! I'm leaning towards SGUL but Swansea seemed really friendly and it is probably a bit cheaper living out of London. I also liked the sports facilities at Swansea. Having said that all my friends and work contacts are in London and I would want to work in London after uni so SGUL is winning at the moment.

Swansea were just so nice!
Reply 330
Original post by M150
Because if I go to SGUL I have to move back to my parents house. And I really, really loved Swansea at the open day. They just seem so incredible friendly.

If going to SGUL meant living with my parents then I would most definitely be going to Swansea!
Original post by JosieD
Lol, thanks! I'm leaning towards SGUL but Swansea seemed really friendly and it is probably a bit cheaper living out of London. I also liked the sports facilities at Swansea. Having said that all my friends and work contacts are in London and I would want to work in London after uni so SGUL is winning at the moment.

You were in my swansea interview, congrats! Well I'd say both have positives and negatives of course, and obviously medicine is medicine wherever you do it.
Swansea is specifically for grads only whereas SGUL you integrate with the undergrads after your first year - I also got the impression swansea is more supportive and better at flagging up when someone is struggling. They're both small cohorts which is good. Wales will be much cheaper to live in than london though it depends on your personal circumstances.

With regards to living in London for your foundation years+ the uni you go to will have no impact on this, it's all based on your performance at your uni and your ranking (obviously particular areas of london are the most competitive to get into) and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that SGUL ranks you alongside undergrads so there are a lot more students in the ranking.

These are just points I've thought about really, I think you said something about wanting to carry on your dance teaching? I guess it would depend on whether you could do that anywhere or you'd need to be in London too.
Reply 332
Original post by JosieD

Swansea

Pros:
- CBL and heavy clinical integration.
- Really friendly and transparent staff. Makes a nice atmosphere
- Grads only
- Decent city, enough for shopping and nightlife.
- Mumbles just around the corner, beach etc. Could be fun
- On the cheaper side of living. Avg. rent £250pcm to £300pcm gets you a decent property.

Cons:
- It's at the other end of Wales. Nothing wrong with Wales, but it is difficult to get to and from. Given the time consuming work load for GEM that might become quite a nuisance for the weekend jaunts to a friends etc.

SGUL

Pros:
- PBL, much prefer the self directed type of learning.
- Integrated with a hospital, so even outside of clinical attachments there is a clinical environment.
- London is quite fun.

Cons:
- Typical rent for SGUL is £600pcm-£800pcm
- It didn't feel as welcoming. The interview process seemed to be designed to put as much pressure on as possible and I feel this is likely going to be reflected in their teaching.
- London, although great fun and great to work in, is not where I see myself living. Given my chosen career and other life commitments put enough pressure on, I don't want to be sat on the tube in silence for an hour every day.
- Personally, Tooting isn't my scene either.
- 18 year olds.

These are of course my own opinions and you're welcome to yours. But the main points are money and general atmosphere for me. Swansea sold me on those points very well.
Reply 333
Original post by ceciafb
You were in my swansea interview, congrats! Well I'd say both have positives and negatives of course, and obviously medicine is medicine wherever you do it.
Swansea is specifically for grads only whereas SGUL you integrate with the undergrads after your first year - I also got the impression swansea is more supportive and better at flagging up when someone is struggling. They're both small cohorts which is good. Wales will be much cheaper to live in than london though it depends on your personal circumstances.

With regards to living in London for your foundation years+ the uni you go to will have no impact on this, it's all based on your performance at your uni and your ranking (obviously particular areas of london are the most competitive to get into) and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that SGUL ranks you alongside undergrads so there are a lot more students in the ranking.

These are just points I've thought about really, I think you said something about wanting to carry on your dance teaching? I guess it would depend on whether you could do that anywhere or you'd need to be in London too.

It will be much easier for me to pick up teaching work in London but then again London is also more expensive so the two may cancel each other out.

I'm going to the SGUL taster day on the 18th so I'm hoping that will give me more of an idea of the course and the realities of PBL. I liked Swansea's case of the week idea but I don't think you really know which approach is the best for you until you try it. I also felt that Swansea would be really supportive....... Oh god I'm going to have to think about this carefully! I honestly didn't think I'd have choice. :confused:
Hi I got an offer from SGUL. Who's going to the open day and is there a Facebook page? Looking forward to meeting the cohort
I'm going to the Taster day as well :smile:
Unfortunately SGUL is being ridiculous and saying they can only offer me a 2016 place because my master ends after 1st august!
This will push me over the fence to accepting an offer from another university if i get it!!
Reply 336
Leave the MSc early and with a PGDip?
will consider that if haven't got any other offers!
I think being on the waiting list is worse than a 'no'. I'm going to be refreshing my inbox/UCAS/TSR every 20 minutes for the next two months...
I think being on the waiting list is worse than a 'no'. I'm going to be refreshing my inbox/UCAS/TSR every 20 minutes for the next two months...

Do you think they contact you as soon as a place becomes available or do you think they contact the amount of people there are spaces for around the deadline? The second would be nicer I think, takes the stress off!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending