The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The UCL PPE thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dprince
The time that I rang UCL to talk to them they said that they would need my UCAS PID Number so it definitely wouldn't hurt to put it in! :smile:

Thank you so much for your help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by economicsrocks
Thank you so much for your help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries :smile:!
Reply 502
I have had enough of UCL wasting my time.
Original post by r3dh4

You have offers from other places then?
Got rejected from LSE PPE yesterday..... but accepted into philosophy and economics at LSE.
Original post by jinglewingle
Got rejected from LSE PPE yesterday..... but accepted into philosophy and economics at LSE.

Did you apply for both courses or did they happen to consider you for philosophy and econ? Also what are your stats like if you don't mind me asking? ☺️☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ooftar
Did you apply for both courses or did they happen to consider you for philosophy and econ? Also what are your stats like if you don't mind me asking? ☺️☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

I potentially misguidedly applied for both. I reflection it seems ironic that PPE was my preference though, because my personal statement actually didn't mention politics once (excluding naming the course of course).

I am from Australia so I'm not sure if my stats will be 100% useful.

Australia essentially has a percentile ranking system from 0 to 99.95. LSE quotes 98 as the minimum, and I got 98.8.
I potentially misguidedly applied for both. I reflection it seems ironic that PPE was my preference though, because my personal statement actually didn't mention politics once (excluding naming the course of course).

I am from Australia so I'm not sure if my stats will be 100% useful.

Australia essentially has a percentile ranking system from 0 to 99.95. LSE quotes 98 as the minimum, and I got 98.8.

Well done! I have a friend from Melbourne who had applied to Oxford with me, he got 99.85 which I understand is spectacular, though he went to Melbourne Grammar.
Original post by r3dh4

And the pool decreases:colone:
Original post by Dprince
And the pool decreases:colone:

probs me as well. I would favour LSE P and E over UCL PPE.
probs me as well. I would favour LSE P and E over UCL PPE.

From the way things are going, I think I'm favoring LSE at this point.
But I want to keep my options open.
How many people have offers? I just got Lse, but UCL has not answered yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 512
Original post by kurofune
You have offers from other places then?

Yeah, so I am not too fussed about it. But UCL should really get admissions sorted out. My friend got an offer and I decided that enough was enough. It is a shame that universities the calibre of UCL are so inconsistent with admissions.
Original post by r3dh4
Yeah, so I am not too fussed about it. But UCL should really get admissions sorted out. My friend got an offer and I decided that enough was enough. It is a shame that universities the calibre of UCL are so inconsistent with admissions.

Your friend's offer was for PPE, right?
People need to really just calm down, the PPE Course is likely to be almost if not just as popular as Economics and UCL is scrupulous in their assessment, I think it's just a bit arrogant to withdraw your choice (unless you have an offer from LSE, or Oxford) when you were probably going to get an offer anyway.

Not to diss but I just think, the unis are very much within their rights to take a while to fully assess the merits of each candidate in detail, from what I've gathered (from emails with admissions tutors,) they have several stages of an application being considered

Just chill guys
Original post by Ashaheen17
People need to really just calm down, the PPE Course is likely to be almost if not just as popular as Economics and UCL is scrupulous in their assessment, I think it's just a bit arrogant to withdraw your choice (unless you have an offer from LSE, or Oxford) when you were probably going to get an offer anyway.

Not to diss but I just think, the unis are very much within their rights to take a while to fully assess the merits of each candidate in detail, from what I've gathered (from emails with admissions tutors,) they have several stages of an application being considered

Just chill guys

This is ridiculous. One person expressing their discontent does NOT mean we are all panicking. Most students are going to be nervous about the status of their application, no matter how competitive a course is or isn't.

Maybe it's because from a different country, but when people truly panic about their state of their application, they do a LOT more than just email admissions office and/or vent their frustrations online.

If you want some perspective, here you go: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1syhp1/people_working_in_college_admissions_what_are_the/

NO ONE on this thread is THAT desperate.
Reply 516
Original post by kurofune
This is ridiculous. One person expressing their discontent does NOT mean we are all panicking. Most students are going to be nervous about the status of their application, no matter how competitive a course is or isn't.

Maybe it's because from a different country, but when people truly panic about their state of their application, they do a LOT more than just email admissions office and/or vent their frustrations online.

If you want some perspective, here you go: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1syhp1/people_working_in_college_admissions_what_are_the/

NO ONE on this thread is THAT desperate.

This is in fact very true. The only reason that I was at all comfortable with withdrawing was due to the fact that I had other offers. The withdrawal was simply a symbolic gesture to show disapproval at a system that I consider to be substandard. I wouldnt advise anyone else to do the same thing unless they have other offers with the same grades that they prefer.
Reply 517
Original post by zuzannag
Your friend's offer was for PPE, right?

Yeah it was. That was the most irritating thing about it all.
imma froot
Original post by r3dh4
This is in fact very true. The only reason that I was at all comfortable with withdrawing was due to the fact that I had other offers. The withdrawal was simply a symbolic gesture to show disapproval at a system that I consider to be substandard. I wouldnt advise anyone else to do the same thing unless they have other offers with the same grades that they prefer.

To be fair I was directing it at the one guy just was trying to reassure everyone that is normal sometimes to wait a while

I did have a disclaimer saying if you have other offers you prefer then I understand why you would reject, it wasnf supposed to be a personal dig just an attempt to placate folk

I had an offer from Durham PPE last year in late Feb and i unnecessarily stressed waiting for it and it didn't help !

Just trying to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending