The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jammy4041
Also, the thing to watch out with Gamepass/Audiopass, is that it will automatically renew. I had audiopass through to the end of the wildcard games, and it was alright. Not too much (I think about $15), and I can use it in the US.

The thing is with Gampass, is that the games that are on Sky Sports will be "blacked out" for 48 hours afterwards, which is very annoying (the 6pm and 9.30pm kickoffs, gmt).

Yeah I saw that it auto renewed and that you need to email or call them to cancel it which is pretty annoying.

Original post by Wattsy
I think it's £120 for the year. I'd have it if I didn't have Sky but with Sky I can't justify the expense.

I've got sky sports too, how much coverage do you get?

Thanks

PS, I watched the Giants vs Jaguars game as per your suggestion, you were right it was exciting :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm beyond the point of caring about that last play, to be honest.

I hope to be over it one day too, but I have been a Seahawks fan for a very long time..

Put it this way, had that come off, the Patriots would have been criticized heavily for keying so hard on the run, and well, Pete Carroll would have been heralded as some sort of super-genius. It happens. Lynch could have fumbled if it was a run...who knows..

The problem with the first bit is that it was 'obvious' it wasn't going to be a run - from Wilson being at the shotgun position, to Lynch peeling off as soon as the ball was snapped - it wasn't even a play action pass.

If Lynch had fumbled, everyone would have said that the Seahawks were unlucky. That's better than being stupid...
You'll get over the game, it'll sting like mad for a long time but if the Seahawks win another it'll feel better :lol:
Original post by unprinted
I hope to be over it one day too, but I have been a Seahawks fan for a very long time..

The problem with the first bit is that it was 'obvious' it wasn't going to be a run - from Wilson being at the shotgun position, to Lynch peeling off as soon as the ball was snapped - it wasn't even a play action pass.

If Lynch had fumbled, everyone would have said that the Seahawks were unlucky. That's better than being stupid...

They probably would have won the SuperBowl if Lynch had just faked a draw play haha!

New here, 49er fan if the OP wants to add me to the OP :smile:
Reply 484
Original post by jakemac
Yeah I saw that it auto renewed and that you need to email or call them to cancel it which is pretty annoying.

I've got sky sports too, how much coverage do you get?

Thanks

PS, I watched the Giants vs Jaguars game as per your suggestion, you were right it was exciting :biggrin:

You get 2 games on a Sunday and Thursday Night Football. They pick the fixtures on a week by week basis.
Original post by Wattsy
You get 2 games on a Sunday and Thursday Night Football. They pick the fixtures on a week by week basis.

Yoo I'm a Niner and new poster on the thread so you can add me to the OP. About time the Gold Rush got a voice on TSR :wink:
Reply 486
Original post by Dprince
Yoo I'm a Niner and new poster on the thread so you can add me to the OP. About time the Gold Rush got a voice on TSR :wink:

You are IN! Welcome to TSR's home of the NFL.
Original post by Wattsy

Cool, thanks for all your help :biggrin: Now to absorb as much football as possible before the 31st of July... I will emerge in 5 and a half months
Original post by Wattsy

...and other American Football stuff!!! BUCS football, FBS, FCS, Euroball, BAFA, anything...:biggrin:

On that note, shout out to the Plymouth Blitz!! Down 12-0 to win 15-12, away, at Gloucester, is big for the team, after the crushing loss in the Devon Bowl. Next week will be an emotional affair, but I try to follow it, even though it's too early in the morning to be reasonable enough to follow. 5AM MST are hard to follow...:frown:

So...Does anyone else like College football?

Bama finish with another top-ranked recruiting class, closely followed by UCLA and Florida State. They will be there or thereabouts. Look out for Arkansas to make waves in the SEC west.

Also, in SEC East news, nice to see that 5* DE, CeCe Jefferson has finally signed. Auburn have been poaching a lot of recruits which would have gone to Florida, because of Will Muschamp. Auburn will be a threat this year, for sure.

Here's a "What if Tim Tebow signed with Alabama?" hypothetical, courtesy of SB Nation.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/1/30/2752634/national-signing-day-alabama-florida-recruiting-tim-tebow
Also...Vernon Adams Jr. leaving Eastern Washington to replace Marcus Mariota is big.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

He's doing his Masters, so it's not quite a usual transfer, but he was amazing. As a fan of the Idaho State Bengals...I am so happy that he's left the Big Sky Conferance. The only reason he didn't have a good season was that he had a broken leg or something against ISU. (I just can't believe that they kept him in so long!!)

He beat out Jimmy Garropolo for the best FCS offensive player last year. And beat Justin Arias ( :frown: ) into second place this year. And got joint-first team Big Sky honors, despite missing most of this season due to said injury.

Vernon Adams Jr. is the truth. With him, Oregon will not miss a beat. At all. He was a men amongst boys in the FCS.

But hey, it's nice that FCS gets some love...they are still D1, so you know, the quality is there. Just not the depth that even the worst FBS teams. Idaho State would tonk Idaho on a neutral field, I'm sure. We'll have to see the score in the Boise State game, however...that...doesn't look too promising.

And yes...I'm biased, but check out the highlights of Justin Arias' season. I'm sad that he's finished his masters and stuff...because it was a pleasure to watch him in the Holt Arena lighting up defenses in the FCS.

Still annoyed that ISU's offensive coordinator of the year (and QB coach), Don Bailey has gone to Hawaii, but hey, can't blame him trading Idaho weather for Hawaii weather, as well as FCS to FBS.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25063705/eastern-washington-qb-vernon-adams-transferring-to-oregon
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy

Recruiting, recruiting recruiting....it's why 'Bama will be there or thereabouts. again. And again. And again.

Worth a read, seriously.

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2015/2/9/7994677/alabama-recruiting-and-its-evolution-over-the-years

rollbamaroll.com

Without further ado, let the listing begin!

The highest ranked player to sign with Alabama is not actually Julio Jones... Cyrus Kouandjio holds that record coming in at #2 overall in his class.

Alternatively, (aside from the players assigned "no rating"), former tight end Brad Smelley was the lowest rated player in the Saban-era. He was the 943rd overall player, and the 46th best QUARTERBACK.

Excluding the 2014 and 2015 classes, 5 five-star players have never actually started a game for the Crimson Tide: Phillip Sims, B.J. Scott, Robert Foster, Eddie Williams, and Tyler Love.

Auburn has signed at least 34 new cows in that span of time.

The most common name for an Alabama signee is Brandon. The Brandon Posse consists of Moore, Kennedy, Lewis, Greene, Ivory, and Hill. All of the Brandons are offensive or defensive lineman.

More 5-star offensive tackles (4) have signed with the Tide than 4-stars (3)

The fastest recorded 40-yard dash was Tony Brown, who ran a 4.35.

Conversely, Alphonse Taylor has the slowest recorded 40 time with a blazing 5.84 second dash.

Alabama has signed the top player in the nation at every position except for safety and defensive tackle.

2011 Safety Jabriel Washington is the lightest player to ever sign, checking in at a whopping 165 pounds.

As you'd expect, Terrence Cody was the heaviest, at 395 pounds.

For all of its accomplishments, the 2008 class had TWO five star players to never contribute to the team, B.J. Scott and Tyler Love.

Recruits tend to find the smell of corndogs turns them away from LSU

The 2014 class had the highest average ranking of players, while the 2009 class was the lowest.

The average Alabama football player is 6' 2½".

Alabama's 2013 and 2015 classes hold the tie for the most five star players in a single class with 6 each.

The fastest non-skill position player to sign with Alabama is 2015 linebacker Adonis Thomas, who ran a 4.47 forty yard-dash

The only cornerback from the 2011 class, Bradley Sylve, was recruited to be a receiver. Oddly enough, that was widely considered to be the main position of weakness on the 2014 Alabama team.

At 6'7", Cyrus Kouandjio and Brian Vogler were the two tallest Alabama players.

23% of all the 5-stars signed by Nick Saban have been cornerbacks.

The average Alabama player is really good at football.

In his tenure, Nick Saban has signed the number one kicker, number one punter, and number one long snapper in the nation. The punter, Jay Williams, was beat out by a walk-on Cody Mandell.

The average Alabama football player weighs 239 pounds.

Only 35% of Nick Saban's recruits have come from the state of Alabama. However, 39% of his five star players are from AL.

The 2013, 2014, and 2015 classes are the three highest raked classes of Saban's tenure. And none of these players are currently older than a true junior.

Nick Saban has signed the top offensive tackle in the nation three times in 8 years.

Eddie Lacy ran a faster forty yard dash in high school than Julio Jones did.

At 226 pounds per athlete, the 2011 and 2013 classes were the two lightest classes, while the 2014 class was the heaviest at 251.

The 2014 class holds the record for the hardest-to-spell pair of names in J.C. Hassenauer and Ross Pierschbacher.

Ha Ha. Clinton-Dix (I'm really funny, guys)

The 2015 class has more five star players than three star players.

Phillip Ely is actually the fastest quarterback to have signed with Alabama. He ran a 4.57 forty time.

D.J. Fluker was a five star defensive lineman before switching to offense, and A'Shawn Robinson was a five star offensive lineman before switching to defense.

Players from 29 of the 50 States have come to play for Alabama. The states represented are AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, NJ, NY, OH, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, and WV.

Roll tide :lol:
Original post by Malevolent
Roll tide :lol:

I was merely pointing out the absurd riches of the recruiting. And then, Julio Jones wasn't even the best recruit that they had in the Saban era.

[Even considering the recruiting advantage...it will be a transition year for the Tide. As well as for the 'Noles. Returning just 2 and 3 starters on offense; 7 and 7 on defense; 2 and 2 on Special teams (kicker and punter?) respectively will hurt them. tOSU return 7,7 and 2 respectively. Sure, recruitment gives depth, but even with the 5*, there's so much development from their sophomore to senior year.]

The Ohio State do a good job in recruitment in the Big 10. Consistently leading the conference.Their last recruiting ranks? 7, 5. 3 and 2. This year's class is #6. It's easy to think why tOSU fans thought that next year would be "their year". Now they have a year of seasoning under their belt and a national championship to show for it.

A number one recruiting class is nice...and national champions are crowned in January, not in the prior February, but having a top 5 recruiting class helps.

The SEC has an obvious leg up on the other conferences when it comes to recruits. In terms of geography. Obviously the ACC has access to the Florida market with FSU and Miami, and the Big 12 with Texas and TCU...but it's difficult.

Then again, with the SEC, since all the other teams have the same access to the south-eastern football belt, it's harder to stand out...

Recruiting makes it easier to win college championships; while not the be all and end all, it's why USC haven't been quite at their usual standards, since they had no depth, and with a no.2 ranked class...they'll be there or there abouts this year.

Notice where Oregon is though in the rankings...they're nowhere. They don't have that advantage and have to look further afield, for their recruiting or make up the short fall with coaching, and through schemes.

Boise State, at #56 nationally have a nice class coming in, with 1 4* and 21 3* coming in...it should help secure their position at the top of the Mountain West Conference.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was merely pointing out the absurd riches of the recruiting. And then, Julio Jones wasn't even the best recruit that they had in the Saban era.

[Even considering the recruiting advantage...it will be a transition year for the Tide. As well as for the 'Noles. Returning just 2 and 3 starters on offense; 7 and 7 on defense; 2 and 2 on Special teams (kicker and punter?) respectively will hurt them. tOSU return 7,7 and 2 respectively. Sure, recruitment gives depth, but even with the 5*, there's so much development from their sophomore to senior year.]

The Ohio State do a good job in recruitment in the Big 10. Consistently leading the conference.Their last recruiting ranks? 7, 5. 3 and 2. This year's class is #6. It's easy to think why tOSU fans thought that next year would be "their year". Now they have a year of seasoning under their belt and a national championship to show for it.

A number one recruiting class is nice...and national champions are crowned in January, not in the prior February, but having a top 5 recruiting class helps.

The SEC has an obvious leg up on the other conferences when it comes to recruits. In terms of geography. Obviously the ACC has access to the Florida market with FSU and Miami, and the Big 12 with Texas and TCU...but it's difficult.

Then again, with the SEC, since all the other teams have the same access to the south-eastern football belt, it's harder to stand out...

Recruiting makes it easier to win college championships; while not the be all and end all, it's why USC haven't been quite at their usual standards, since they had no depth, and with a no.2 ranked class...they'll be there or there abouts this year.

Notice where Oregon is though in the rankings...they're nowhere. They don't have that advantage and have to look further afield, for their recruiting or make up the short fall with coaching, and through schemes.

Boise State, at #56 nationally have a nice class coming in, with 1 4* and 21 3* coming in...it should help secure their position at the top of the Mountain West Conference.

Oh no I wasn't like criticizing you haha I actually found that very interesting read. I just thought Id be like the Bama fans who love shouting roll tide :tongue:
Reply 496
I say this every year but I feel like I need a team to follow at college level so I actually watch some. The craziest team I watched last year were Arkansas State Red Wolves and my mate is currently assistant coaching the North Carolina Tar Heels women's hockey team so I might try and track both of those.
Original post by Wattsy

We've got enough knowledge on here that we can recommend particularly good games for any teams that you're interested in

Hi Sorry to bother you again :smile:
Could you recommend any good Packers games? They seem pretty interesting; the way they're owned by their fans and stuff and I think they're quite good, right?

Thanks again
Reply 498
Original post by jakemac
Hi Sorry to bother you again :smile:
Could you recommend any good Packers games? They seem pretty interesting; the way they're owned by their fans and stuff and I think they're quite good, right?

Thanks again

I'm no expert on the Pack so someone else might be better at recommending their seasons games but their playoff loss to the Seahawks was one of the most remarkable things I've ever witnessed in the NFL. In the regular season I can't tell by just looking at the scores. They do a lot of winning. With Aaron Rodgers under centre it's kind of inevitable.
Original post by Wattsy
I'm no expert on the Pack so someone else might be better at recommending their seasons games but their playoff loss to the Seahawks was one of the most remarkable things I've ever witnessed in the NFL. In the regular season I can't tell by just looking at the scores. They do a lot of winning. With Aaron Rodgers under centre it's kind of inevitable.

Do they do so much winning that it could be considered glory-huntery to start following them? Not that I've decided to follow the Packers until I die and buy a season ticket and a cheese hat thing or anything, just wondering.

Happy 500th post by the way...

Quick Reply

Latest