The Student Room Group

Nicola Sturgeon says the SNP will vote on English laws

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 1tartanarmy
Lol no....the snp can and will do whatever they can for scotland. Voting in english only matters can indirectly help scotland...westminster wanted us united....they will have to suck it up

Evidently not: there are solid proposals now for English votes for English laws.
Wd be great news...divide and conquer

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just happy they'll keep labour out of power.
Lol no....the snp can and will do whatever they can for scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does that include lieing to the electorate?
If the UK parliament chooses to cut funding to the NHS in England (for example) then the Scottish budget will also be proportionately cut, through the Barnett consequentials.

This stuff isn't difficult.
Original post by Rakas21
We are one United Kingdom so i don't have a problem with this... provided English MP's can also vote on Scottish business in Westminster.

"Do unto others as you would do unto yourself".

The Conservatives are just trying to point out the Scottish Nationalist hypocrisy. If Scotland see themselves as part of the UK and there's a knock-on effect from what we do, they should NOT then be in favour of maximum devolution. They can't have their cake and eat it.
Original post by L i b
Evidently not: there are solid proposals now for English votes for English laws.

Suits my agenda perfectly...the greater the divide in any aspect of Scotland and England the better. I'm all for english devolution, english votes for english laws etc...but for as long as the SNP can vote on matters then they should do just that. It will speed up english votes for english laws if anything.

Independence by the back door. For both countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Suits my agenda perfectly...the greater the divide in any aspect of Scotland and England the better. I'm all for english devolution, english votes for english laws etc...but for as long as the SNP can vote on matters then they should do just that. It will speed up english votes for english laws if anything.

Independence by the back door. For both countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for highlighting the snp and its supporters are rather narrow minded individuals.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Thanks for highlighting the snp and its supporters are rather narrow minded individuals.

If being narrow minded is when someone will use any method available to get independence for their own country because they believe its the right thing to do for everyones sake then yes ...I'm narrow minded.

Funny thing is....the more we moan and whine, the more we get offered...we have been offered so much that now even the unionists (labour etc) believe scotland should get more. The appetite for less powers will never happen...therfore each power transfer is a baby step towards the ultimate goal.

English votes for english laws will be a god send if it happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If being narrow minded is when someone will use any method available to get independence for their own country because they believe its the right thing to do for everyones sake then yes ...I'm narrow minded.

Funny thing is....the more we moan and whine, the more we get offered...we have been offered so much that now even the unionists (labour etc) believe scotland should get more. The appetite for less powers will never happen...therfore each power transfer is a baby step towards the ultimate goal.

English votes for english laws will be a god send if it happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pity the majority of the electorate didn't share you're myopic outlook on life
Pity the majority of the electorate didn't share you're myopic outlook on life

If you keeping looking back you wont see the next obstacles that lie ahead. Your precious union is far from "safe".

relax, put your feet up, keep looking back to the 10% gap...

We will be working

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you keeping looking back you wont see the next obstacles that lie ahead. Your precious union is far from "safe".

We will be working

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the obvious obstacle is the SNPs belief in oil funding everything.
Reply 31

We will be working

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might I get a redundancy payout after all then?
I think the obvious obstacle is the SNPs belief in oil funding everything.

Yeah well pretty sure they have a damn strong point as oil is currently a stable $100 a barrel and so all economic plans can be carried out without issue and...

....oh....oh wait....oh my, $52 a barrel...was under $45 a barrel a few weeks back....oh my indeed.
Reply 33
Original post by joey11223
Yeah well pretty sure they have a damn strong point as oil is currently a stable $100 a barrel and so all economic plans can be carried out without issue and...

....oh....oh wait....oh my, $52 a barrel...was under $45 a barrel a few weeks back....oh my indeed.

What was it in £...?

It was the $113 a barrel, automatic currency union with the UK and automatic entry to the EU which salmond spent about £56k of taxpayers money hiding the fact he didn't have the legal advice he said he had in the first place.
Original post by Quady
What was it in £...?

google offers currency conversion for free good sir, but oil is generally discussed in dollar value and was during the period of the Scottish independence discussion. But its a little above $1.5 to the £ atm.

And whats happening.....job losses galore....exactly what the pro union parties said wouldnt happen as we could "pool and share resources"....an independent scotland would have built up an oil fund that would be used in times such as these.

But nothing...people lose jobs and the union will be the death of the city of aberdeen in the future...ironic that seeing as they voted no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HigherMinion
The Conservatives are just trying to point out the Scottish Nationalist hypocrisy. If Scotland see themselves as part of the UK and there's a knock-on effect from what we do, they should NOT then be in favour of maximum devolution. They can't have their cake and eat it.

What?

The SNP want the maximum possible powers transferred. But while decisions in Westminster affect Scotland, the SNP absolutely should vote on them.

Are you sure you know what hypocrisy means?
google offers currency conversion for free good sir, but oil is generally discussed in dollar value and was during the period of the Scottish independence discussion. But its a little above $1.5 to the £ atm.

Salmond was rather quiet about the exodus of money leaving edinburghs financial centre.
Reply 39

Sure, but there hasn't been intent to move to the dollar.

When it was $100 the pound was £1.65+ to the dollar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending