The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kriterz
Nottingham or Bristol for straight economics? Like them both equally and can't decide which to firm :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bristols course is a lot more mathematical (Notts is a BA right?) and business focused. Depends on if those factors appeal to you.

I'd go for Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Bristols course is a lot more mathematical (Notts is a BA right?) and business focused. Depends on if those factors appeal to you.

I'd go for Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm looking for as much maths as possible so I'm leaning towards Bristol, is there any difference in the strength of the departments or are they very similar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kriterz
Yeah I'm looking for as much maths as possible so I'm leaning towards Bristol, is there any difference in the strength of the departments or are they very similar?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very similar, both Top 10 unis. Employment prospects would be identical at both, although Bristol's course would arguably prepare you better for PostGrad.
(edited 9 years ago)
Very similar, both Top 10 unis. Employment prospects would be identical at both, although Bristol's course would arguably prepare you better for PostGrad.

Oh ok cool thanks for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd go for Bristol.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for BSC Economics at Nottingham!

Original post by Kriterz
Oh cool, sorry to hear about the rejection from bristol, would you have preferred Bristol over Notts?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really.According to the CUG rankings,Notts is ranked 6th in the UK for Economics!But I would have preferred Bristol because the university is spread across the city!
Original post by Skill Twix

Not really.According to the CUG rankings,Notts is ranked 6th in the UK for Economics!But I would have preferred Bristol because the university is spread across the city!

Ah fair enough, I'm going to go to the post offer days and decide then. I don't know whether I trust the league tables either as Bristol is 35th or something in the guardian league table and I think they put middlesex above them which is nonsense!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I've gone for Economics and Finance at Bristol after an unsuccessful application for the straight Economics course!
I applied for BSC Economics at Nottingham!

My point still stands. The fact that you only need an A in GCSE Maths means the starting level must be pretty basic.

According to the CUG rankings, Notts is ranked 6th in the UK for Economics!

And Bristol is ranked 7th so the difference is negligible. It is irrational to pick a uni based on something trivial like rankings which fluctuate year on year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kriterz
Ah fair enough, I'm going to go to the post offer days and decide then. I don't know whether I trust the league tables either as Bristol is 35th or something in the guardian league table and I think they put middlesex above them which is nonsense!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we can all safely ignore the Guardian's tables - I have literally no idea how they've come up with their list!

Putting East Anglia, Strathclyde, Lancaster, Aston and Leeds above the likes of St Andrews, Bath, Nottingham and Bristol? What a load of utter trollop.

On another note, who else is still waiting for Warwick? I'm seriously considering withdrawing my application and just firming Bath...really cbf with this waiting any more.
Original post by SMR1997
I think we can all safely ignore the Guardian's tables - I have literally no idea how they've come up with their list!

Putting East Anglia, Strathclyde, Lancaster, Aston and Leeds above the likes of St Andrews, Bath, Nottingham and Bristol? What a load of utter trollop.

On another note, who else is still waiting for Warwick? I'm seriously considering withdrawing my application and just firming Bath...really cbf with this waiting any more.

Yeah I agree their league table seems to be very inaccurate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kriterz
Nottingham or Bristol for straight economics? Like them both equally and can't decide which to firm :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have offers from both, I'm firming notts if I don't get my other offers. They're almost identical, I slightly prefer notts campus. Job prospects and the quality of the courses are basically the same at both. Notts isn't just a BA, its either BA/Bsc depending on your module choices I think so u can make it mathsy
Original post by pat.bateman
I have offers from both, I'm firming notts if I don't get my other offers. They're almost identical, I slightly prefer notts campus. Job prospects and the quality of the courses are basically the same at both. Notts isn't just a BA, its either BA/Bsc depending on your module choices I think so u can make it mathsy

Oh right cool, I haven't seen the Notts campus yet but I heard it's great but the City itself isn't as good? I also like the accounting modules that Bristol have to offer, do you know whether the accounting and finance modules involve a lot of maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2832
Well done!Who's your firm and insurance?

Not sure atm, but I'll probably firm Leicester or Reading, if I get an offer from Reading that is.
Original post by Username13
I withdrew my Warwick application too and firmed one of my other choices. Feel a lot more motivated for my a levels now and depending on the uni could get you better accommodation maybe ?

But I can understand if you want to wait it out as well.

That must be a relief.. Where did you decide on eventually?
people withdrawing their applications are just impatient unless they are an offer holder of a uni they deem to be on a par/same desire to go to. it's irrational
Original post by jchap9776
people withdrawing their applications are just impatient unless they are an offer holder of a uni they deem to be on a par/same desire to go to. it's irrational

Even then I'd still wait as it's a solid insurance
Even then I'd still wait as it's a solid insurance

exactly, I don't see why people aren't just waiting for the outcome of their application - otherwise they needn't have bothered applying, also seems lots of people are doing this with their 1st choice, bonkers
Original post by Kriterz
Oh right cool, I haven't seen the Notts campus yet but I heard it's great but the City itself isn't as good? I also like the accounting modules that Bristol have to offer, do you know whether the accounting and finance modules involve a lot of maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nottingham isnt THAT bad a city and has plenty of shops /facilities etc but I havent been to bristol so i couldnt really compare. Also, I have no idea about the module specifics at either uni :tongue:
Original post by pat.bateman
Nottingham isnt THAT bad a city and has plenty of shops /facilities etc but I havent been to bristol so i couldnt really compare. Also, I have no idea about the module specifics at either uni :tongue:

Hmm I guess I will have to go see it myself anyway, either way both are good unis!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you guys think Economics, or Business Economics is or would be like at Queens University in Belfast?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest