The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
HI. I am applying for slade for september 2015. i am doing a foundation now. it says on the slade it is not needed though. where else are you planning to apply? For my portfolio, if i get invited to an interview, i am going to take everything i have done, including all my as and alevel, not big exam pieces though because they will be too heavy and inconvenient.
Hi, do you have a link to your flikr account I could possibly take a sneaky peek at? :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by jammyart
HI. I am applying for slade for september 2015. i am doing a foundation now. it says on the slade it is not needed though. where else are you planning to apply? For my portfolio, if i get invited to an interview, i am going to take everything i have done, including all my as and alevel, not big exam pieces though because they will be too heavy and inconvenient.

Hi, I'm applying to Slade for September 2015 too! :smile: Have you booked in for a portfolio submission yet? I'm a little unsure of what size portfolio to take, as I have an A1 folder with the same sized presentation sheets, but I'm not sure whether to take this or get a smaller portfolio with plastic sheets instead... :confused: Which are you planning on showing?
What kind of works do the slade like to see in portfolios? I know that this is hard to determine but I am having a hard time knowing what kind of stuff to put in. I have experimented a lot with painting, portraiture but also quite a lot of heavily based textiles work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone going to break the ice (it's practically a glacier atm) and post a link to their portfolio? (fyi I haven't done one yet)

The best way to find out what kind of stuff the Slade is looking for is to go onto one of the Slade Facebook Year groups and google their art etc. Theory is heavy at the Slade btw so articulating your thoughts is key. Also I can sense that realism/landscapes are really frowned upon....

Can you feel the heat ?>
If we send by post do we book a portfolio time slot?

Also, does anyone have any idea how many are shortlisted for the interview ok thanks goodluck
I think it's roughly less than 200 people of perhaps 1600 that apply.
That means about 8 people per slot get an interview, but in each slot theoretically there are 65 people. Which means you've got an 1/8th of a shot :smile:
Original post by Notwinter
I think it's roughly less than 200 people of perhaps 1600 that apply.
That means about 8 people per slot get an interview, but in each slot theoretically there are 65 people. Which means you've got an 1/8th of a shot :smile:

Thanks for the insight! Are you applying?
yes! My slot is at 9:15 tomorrow :smile:
yes! My slot is at 9:15 tomorrow :smile:

how did it go?! what happened haha?

I sent mine after school today via post. I will go insane if it doesn't make it/gets lost on the way!

What kind of application have you got? Are you applying from Foundation/Alevels etc? :biggrin:

Any work online?
Hey again!

It went okay, my friend and I went at 9 and we picked it up at 4. There were loads and loads of portfolios. I sent mine in a box. I think i was the only one.
Where did you send yours from? I'm sure it won't get lost :-)
Umm my application talks a lot about galleries i've visited abroad and curation as I assist in galleries and have done talks in some places. It's not very interesting. I'm applied from BTEC. What about you?
Yes, Here is some of it

I sent 3 books too, sculpture, abstract expressionist practice and illustration. all this is independent work.

Here is some of my work:
I sent a mix from these 3 flickr albums.. sorry it's not organised just have a flick through
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/sets/72157647642397154/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/sets/72157649564438670/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/sets/72157649565845488/

Sorry it's soo rubbish. it's just bits and bobs I've made.

Do you have work online too?
Hey again!

It went okay, my friend and I went at 9 and we picked it up at 4. There were loads and loads of portfolios. I sent mine in a box. I think i was the only one.
Umm my application talks a lot about galleries i've visited abroad and curation as I assist in galleries and have done talks in some places. It's not very interesting. I'm applied from BTEC. What about you?
Yes, Here is some of it

I sent 3 books too, sculpture, abstract expressionist practice and illustration. all this is independent work.

Here is some of my work:
I sent a mix from these 3 flickr albums.. sorry it's not organised just have a flick through

Sorry to butt in but ur one of the first to share (and care). Ur work is good!The Squash painting is great. Hate to say it but they don't like illustration at the Slade.( I rather regret talking about it in my statement ) but they do like sculpture and abstraction so you're in on that regard. Best of luck !
Hey, thanks! I didn't put the Squash painting in, I didn't like it that much :frown:

My illustration book is a mix of textile pieces too. It's sort of a focus of texture. It's also notes from curations meetings which I've drawn around. It's a lot of annotation and it talks about how i inspire my work through drawing. But thanks for telling me! I'm glad I didn't print any off and stick it in.

Good luck to you!
Hey again!

Yes, Here is some of it

Here is some of my work:

I am sure you have a very interesting personal statement! I imagine anything you do will be off value and it does so all so good! I hope your viewings went ok!

Oooh I have actually viewed some of your work before as it was on the Oxford pages (I applied but didn't get in). I really love the "Forest" pieces! It reminds me of Cy Twombly! You have a very diverse but confident style so I am sure that will come through as a really strong point!

I don't actually have any work online just merely because I like to withhold my ideas at the moment I guess! So have you done A-Levels or is the BTEC equivalent?

Out of you and your friend who do you think is more likely to get an interview haha? Goodluck to both anyway its all so exciting!

I have applied from A-Levels so it's all been stressful juggling it about. A lot of my work is a mix of digital manipulation, portraiture and instillation but it all revolves around the human form/condition I guess. I had about 15 pages with multiple pieces on each sheet. I also put in two films and 3 sketchbooks so its all a bit of a mess if I am honest but who knows what they like? (They are so secretive with their opinions)

Where else have you applied/offered a place at?
Original post by bertiewallace123
Sorry to butt in but ur one of the first to share (and care). Ur work is good!The Squash painting is great. Hate to say it but they don't like illustration at the Slade.( I rather regret talking about it in my statement ) but they do like sculpture and abstraction so you're in on that regard. Best of luck !

Did you also apply to Slade? I seen you were on the Oxford pages too but I remember you were also unsuccessful :frown: ?

What type of things do you think the Slade hate and love? I really didn't want to second guess them so I just included the things I liked! Also, what would you consider was recent work as at the end I included two pieces from November 2013 just because they kind of showed a few things I wanted to tell but now I am not sure D:
Original post by Artfanatic
Did you also apply to Slade? I seen you were on the Oxford pages too but I remember you were also unsuccessful :frown: ?

What type of things do you think the Slade hate and love? I really didn't want to second guess them so I just included the things I liked! Also, what would you consider was recent work as at the end I included two pieces from November 2013 just because they kind of showed a few things I wanted to tell but now I am not sure D:

I have also applied to the Slade (portfolio in on thursday) Looking round on the open day and talking to current students The Slade love theory and work relevant to contemporary thought. That said they seem to always have a certain number of people whose work is principally aesthetic in every year. Obviously there is a tutor still holding the fort for the old guard.

Bizarrely enough my best work came to me in the last 3 months.However
2013 pieces are not a problem, I'm submitting one or two from that same year because they link in well with my current work. If you are confident with your work then the tutors will see it, it'll also go down very well in interviews.

Do you have Any work online?
Original post by bertiewallace123
I have also applied to the Slade (portfolio in on thursday) Looking round on the open day and talking to current students The Slade love theory and work relevant to contemporary thought. That said they seem to always have a certain number of people whose work is principally aesthetic in every year. Obviously there is a tutor still holding the fort for the old guard.

Bizarrely enough my best work came to me in the last 3 months.However
2013 pieces are not a problem, I'm submitting one or two from that same year because they link in well with my current work. If you are confident with your work then the tutors will see it, it'll also go down very well in interviews.

Do you have Any work online?

Ah well goodluck for Thursday! I unfortunately didn't get to the open day but bizarrely was in London for the Architecture Degree show and I was astonished how artistic it was!

Hmm I wouldn't know if I had contemporary thought or not... I would say I had some thoughts but whether they are what the slade are looking for... guess that's part of finding out haha!

Are you coming straight from A-level out of interest? Most of my work has came from the last 3 months too oddly enough. Think the whole process of putting together a portfolio kick started me into a passion to truly express myself as my Oxford portfolio was certainly lackluster.
Thanks. that work was very recent. I did it the other day. I love Twombly!
BTEC is like the same as an Alevel but it's very coursework based.
I have an interview at Chelsea for fine art
and I have a place as leeds for Fine art and Museum and gallery studies.

What about you guys?

"What type of things do you think the Slade hate and love? " I've just heard they love concept and finished pieces. Some guy in my class, his mum is a tutor there. When I went it all seems like very abstract Painting and a bit of sculpture. Nothing else.
Who knows!

2 pieces of my work were from 2013, photography. The rest was 2014 onwards. Some from a few weeks ago.
Thanks. that work was very recent. I did it the other day. I love Twombly!
BTEC is like the same as an Alevel but it's very coursework based.
I have an interview at Chelsea for fine art
and I have a place as leeds for Fine art and Museum and gallery studies.

What about you guys?

"What type of things do you think the Slade hate and love? " I've just heard they love concept and finished pieces. Some guy in my class, his mum is a tutor there. When I went it all seems like very abstract Painting and a bit of sculpture. Nothing else.
Who knows!

2 pieces of my work were from 2013, photography. The rest was 2014 onwards. Some from a few weeks ago.

Ah welldone! Where do you think you will be going to then?

"Finished pieces"... well guess what my front page is! An unfinished installation haha... ah well let's hope they turn the page.

Ah so you must have some insider knowledge from him then? :wink: You do have a lot of work! What does your BTEC work look like or is that also included?
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks! I'll probably go to leeds as I'm very interested in curation. I have knew a boy that got accepted to slade and was told he was the first person to reject it in 20 years... But if I got it I would accept!! I'm not terribly fussed about Chelsea, but I want my options!

Oh cool! I love installation. I know they look thoroughly through each portfolio, mine was all different when I opened it back up so they must have had a good look.

He doesn't say much haha, but his mum id very nice!

All that work on my Flickr is independent work, my BTEC work is very irrelevant to what I do outside. But I'd say I make just as much for school than I do for myself.
When I went to the talk at Slade I was told they don't want to see any ALEVEL work, mostly independent maybe some foundation if you did some. That scared me!

Quick Reply

Latest