The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Top Gear is still one of my favourite shows
Original post by K1NG93
People who commit suicide are weak.

I think you'll find that it is rather much the opposite...
New controversial view of the day: I think the government should encourage people who have gotten pregnant to get an abortion IF they cannot look after the child after it has been born. It is a burden on society to expect the state to pay for your child and I think you should only have children if AT THE TIME you are socially and economically stable.
Men deserve to get paid more than women
Original post by Zander01

Why do they "deserve" to? What if women are better at the same job?
Original post by Zander01

Why?
Original post by binarythoughts
Why?

He won't have a logical answer. He just thinks men are superior.
I like ike.

Nahhh

I have more pain inside my brain than in the eyes of a little girl in a plane aimed at the world trade.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Hey guys,

As the title says, what is the view you hold deemed most "controversial" in this society we live in today in Britain?

Religion shouldn't be taught in schools apart from in history as it's no longer relevant to society. School is for fact learning, not fairy tales.
*prepares for backlash*
Original post by Andy98
I like ike.

Nahhh

I have more pain inside my brain than in the eyes of a little girl in a plane aimed at the world trade.

David Ike?
David Ike?

I dunno - seemed to piss off some Russians on Indiana Jones lol
Original post by Andy98
I dunno - seemed to piss off some Russians on Indiana Jones lol

I'm confused what are you on about? LOL
I'm confused what are you on about? LOL

The I like ike was just a bad attempt at humor
Original post by Andy98
The I like ike was just a bad attempt at humor

I'm so lost, what even is IKE? i dont geddittt
I'm so lost, what even is IKE? i dont geddittt

I don't even know

Posted from TSR Mobile
New controversial view of the day: I think the government should encourage people who have gotten pregnant to get an abortion IF they cannot look after the child after it has been born. It is a burden on society to expect the state to pay for your child and I think you should only have children if AT THE TIME you are socially and economically stable.

Pregnancy and the creation of human life isn't an economical situation. It requires human compassion, and it is an intensely personal thing. Nobody should ever be encouraged to have or not to have an abortion, and it should be the mother's choice and the mother's alone.
Original post by katinthehat
Pregnancy and the creation of human life isn't an economical situation. It requires human compassion, and it is an intensely personal thing. Nobody should ever be encouraged to have or not to have an abortion, and it should be the mother's choice and the mother's alone.

Isn't an economical situation? Ofcourse it is, there are many people who intentionally have children in order to gain more benefits or to exploit the welfare system. Why should the tax payer be obliged to pay for someone's child because their parents could not do in the first place and thus decreased their quality of life? Human compassion is definatley an important part in raising a child- but there's little use for it if the child does not have food on the table is there...
You make a fair point. I just don't think the state should have the right to interfere in your pregnancy. There are social welfare programmes for disadvantaged kids, so it's not as if they're a guaranteed nunce. Sometimes, though, you make mistakes, and if you're anti-abortion you shouldn't have the prospect of it shoved in your face. I myself am not, but I respect other potential mothers might be. I should hope in this country that there are options for you if you a struggling to financially raise a child. I don't think you should discount a life because you're not sure it'll be worthwhile, you never know what the child has to give.

Hang on now, does raising a child not cost money anymore? When did that happen... Last I checked raising a child is actually one of the most costly things a couple can decide to do. Google "average cost raising a child UK" and tell me the figures you see aren't staggering.

Please. Tell me how you plan to raise your child solely on "human compassion", on the streets in a cardboard box?
You make a fair point. I just don't think the state should have the right to interfere in your pregnancy. There are social welfare programmes for disadvantaged kids, so it's not as if they're a guaranteed nunce. Sometimes, though, you make mistakes, and if you're anti-abortion you shouldn't have the prospect of it shoved in your face. I myself am not, but I respect other potential mothers might be. I should hope in this country that there are options for you if you a struggling to financially raise a child. I don't think you should discount a life because you're not sure it'll be worthwhile, you never know what the child has to give.

In my view if the state is paying to essentially help raise your child, then it kind of does have a "right" to have a say as the tax payer is like a third parent in some situations. I disagree with the last part of your argument. It's not "dicounting" life. I'll put it to you this way. Lets say a woman is pregant during a drought in a country with a low quality of life. Would you advise her to abort the child, for it to not be bought up into a world of suffering due to its unfortuante circumstances that it could not control or would you let it be born as all life is "holy" and deserves equality? I know the first option is the most ostensible.

Latest