The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Central Saint Martins Foundation Portfolio Review?!!

Hey!
So recently I received an email from CSM inviting me to a portfolio review on Feb 13.
I really have no idea how to set it out since this is my first time creating a portfolio for show.
What I'm really confused about is how to set it out. I see a lot of portfolio examples (looking at YouTube and online) with large sheets of paper with work on it and I really like the way that it is set out but what about the sketchbooks relating to the work on the big sheets? What if I have the same work in the books already? I'm really confused as to what to include and how to set it out. Final question, would there be an interview after the portfolio review for successful applicants or is it just the review and then they decide?
I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm really panicky since I feel unprepared.
If anyone could give me an example portfolio and tell me about their experiences I would be most grateful! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chanal05
Hey!
So recently I received an email from CSM inviting me to a portfolio review on Feb 13.
I really have no idea how to set it out since this is my first time creating a portfolio for show.
What I'm really confused about is how to set it out. I see a lot of portfolio examples (looking at YouTube and online) with large sheets of paper with work on it and I really like the way that it is set out but what about the sketchbooks relating to the work on the big sheets? What if I have the same work in the books already? I'm really confused as to what to include and how to set it out. Final question, would there be an interview after the portfolio review for successful applicants or is it just the review and then they decide?
I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm really panicky since I feel unprepared.
If anyone could give me an example portfolio and tell me about their experiences I would be most grateful! :biggrin:

Hey, I've applied for the same and got my Interview soon this month too. I'm just as scared and clueless as you are haha. I think you should take your skechbook alon and mount only the final outcomes on a large white sheet. And I don't there is any interview other then the portfolio review, but I'm not entirely sure. Wasn't that helpful ik, but tried lol xx
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by rakshandagowda
Hey, I've applied for the same and got my Interview soon this month too. I'm just as scared and clueless as you are haha. I think you should take your skechbook alon and mount only the final outcomes on a large white sheet. And I don't there is any interview other then the portfolio review, but I'm not entirely sure. Wasn't that helpful ik, but tried lol xx

Haha it's fine :smile:
I had a few interviews after posting this and I found out showing a development of work is wanted along with books and final pieces, so I stuck down some work on A1 sheets showing a progression onto one of my final pieces.

Hope this is useful
Haha it's fine :smile:
I had a few interviews after posting this and I found out showing a development of work is wanted along with books and final pieces, so I stuck down some work on A1 sheets showing a progression onto one of my final pieces.

Hope this is useful

Thanks, how much work did you have like in general how many final piece and projects did you have? And hope the Interview went well. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks, how much work did you have like in general how many final piece and projects did you have? And hope the Interview went well. :smile:

It went well thanks!
I took 3-4 sketchbooks along with their final pieces. I suggest putting your best and strongest piece first. With my strongest one I set it out on a few A1 pieces of paper to show its progression. (although if some of your work is too large or heavy they recommend you photograph it and mount it on white cartridge paper). I also took an A3 folder with a few other pieces of work inside just to show different skills such as a couple of photographs and observational drawings. I also included some pastel work. If you chose a specific pathway to go it would be good to also include some work specific to that pathway. :smile:
It went well thanks!
I took 3-4 sketchbooks along with their final pieces. I suggest putting your best and strongest piece first. With my strongest one I set it out on a few A1 pieces of paper to show its progression. (although if some of your work is too large or heavy they recommend you photograph it and mount it on white cartridge paper). I also took an A3 folder with a few other pieces of work inside just to show different skills such as a couple of photographs and observational drawings. I also included some pastel work. If you chose a specific pathway to go it would be good to also include some work specific to that pathway. :smile:

That's really helpful. Thank you so so much. :smile:
Reply 6
That's really helpful. Thank you so so much. :smile:

No problem!
No problem!

Hey, again...
Could I just ask how many final pieces did you have in total? I don't really have many that are good .. and I'm arranging my portfolio tomorrow so just asking in general... Sorry, last question.. promise :3
Reply 8
Hey, again...
Could I just ask how many final pieces did you have in total? I don't really have many that are good .. and I'm arranging my portfolio tomorrow so just asking in general... Sorry, last question.. promise :3

It's fine! In total I probably have 4 final pieces but I took 3 final pieces with me along with their books. (in general 4 projects would be a decent amount). If you feel as though your work isn't good enough, think of presenting in a way that it will look good. Also doing a little bit of extra work can help a lot if you feel as though you haven't done enough or improving what you already have. My first interview I was really unprepared because of my sucky presenting skills. So I done some improvements and layed it out better and managed to get there in the end. I suggest talking to your art teacher at some point to double check everything is good to go. (I had to ask 2 teachers for help). Apologies if I repeat myself and overwhelm you with too much info, it's a habit of mine. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey everyone!
How are you going to transport your stuff?
I've got a big A1 folder which I will have to stuff my sketchbooks in.
Its gonna be so heavy, since my most important sketchbooks are A3...
:s-smilie:
It's fine! In total I probably have 4 final pieces but I took 3 final pieces with me along with their books. (in general 4 projects would be a decent amount). If you feel as though your work isn't good enough, think of presenting in a way that it will look good. Also doing a little bit of extra work can help a lot if you feel as though you haven't done enough or improving what you already have. My first interview I was really unprepared because of my sucky presenting skills. So I done some improvements and layed it out better and managed to get there in the end. I suggest talking to your art teacher at some point to double check everything is good to go. (I had to ask 2 teachers for help). Apologies if I repeat myself and overwhelm you with too much info, it's a habit of mine. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. :smile:

I have four projects in total anyway, so I hope I'll be fine. First Interview? So did you have more than just one Interview or something? And thank you ever so much for your help, I'm a little less panicky now haha... Thank to you (:
Original post by Anna_Art
Hey everyone!
How are you going to transport your stuff?
I've got a big A1 folder which I will have to stuff my sketchbooks in.
Its gonna be so heavy, since my most important sketchbooks are A3...
:s-smilie:

I don't know myself. I'm just going to have stuff everything in my A1 folder I think. Have you applied for the foundation? If yes, when's your Portfolio review?
I don't know myself. I'm just going to have stuff everything in my A1 folder I think. Have you applied for the foundation? If yes, when's your Portfolio review?

yep, foundation, this Friday,
I'm not looking forward to the tube journey!
yep, foundation, this Friday,
I'm not looking forward to the tube journey!

I have two weeks until mine. Aw haha, I hate tubes. Gonna have to get used to it tho. :/ Anyways, All the best. :smile:
Important Question!
What are people going to do in the 4 hours between dropping of the portfolio then collecting it?
I have no idea what to do...
Is there any good places reasonably nearby to eat/relax/see art/shop?
Also is there a quiet indoor place nearby (quiet café/library/indoor seating area etc) ?? I have an essay to write lol

I guess I'm the only one who has her review tomorrow and I don't have any portfolio sheets, only sketchbooks. Do you guys think they will deduct points for that?
Reply 16
Important Question!
What are people going to do in the 4 hours between dropping of the portfolio then collecting it?
I have no idea what to do...
Is there any good places reasonably nearby to eat/relax/see art/shop?
Also is there a quiet indoor place nearby (quiet café/library/indoor seating area etc) ?? I have an essay to write lol

Hi I was wondering that too! I guess because they say portfolio review you present your work to them and then leave it with them to adjudicate, then pick it up later...
Reply 17
I have four projects in total anyway, so I hope I'll be fine. First Interview? So did you have more than just one Interview or something? And thank you ever so much for your help, I'm a little less panicky now haha... Thank to you (:

Glad to be of help :P
Yeah I ended up having 2 interviews after posting this thread. I was pretty panicky about not getting in somewhere so I applied to a few places. I ended up bugging my teachers a lot for help
Reply 18
Original post by Stone_rain
I guess I'm the only one who has her review tomorrow and I don't have any portfolio sheets, only sketchbooks. Do you guys think they will deduct points for that?

Good luck!
It's okay my portfolio didn't have any sheets in my first interview somewhere else. I just stuffed books and final pieces into an A2 folder. 2 of my friends also didn't have any sheets with theirs and did pretty well. Its generally just a way of presenting if you have any loose pieces of work which isn't in your books. But I don't know how their marking system works I can't really say what they generally look for in presentation :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
I was at this portfolio review on the 13th feb too!
I was so nervous! Do you think we'll really have to wait till the 27th March? 😱

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending