The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

What's Salford University generally like?

I'm holding an unconditional from them for BA (Hons) Drama and Creative Writing. It's a door that opened totally unexpectedly; I only put it as a placeholder but then I got this unconditional, and I talked to my dad about the course; since I want to be a writer in future he thought it would be a brilliant choice for me. I haven't actually had a chance to look at the university yet so if anyone's visited it, currently attends there now or has done in the past could they tell me a little bit about what it's like? Cheersies, much appreciated! :biggrin:
I spent a few days in the chemistry department and it's a bit grim tbh :tongue: Not sure what the drama and creative writing departments are like though, might be completely different.
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
I been to visit the Uni quite a few times as I live in Manchester & I really like it. I think it's got a nice 'feel'... helpful I know. I like the campus as a whole (especially the big park right next to it!). I can't speak on the lit/drama department but over all my experience has been a positive one (also the student support services seem to be good which is a plus). Don't forget about it's proximity to Manchester and all of the cities arts scene - might be useful for future writing etc.
Reply 3
Original post by CazTails
I'm holding an unconditional from them for BA (Hons) Drama and Creative Writing. It's a door that opened totally unexpectedly; I only put it as a placeholder but then I got this unconditional, and I talked to my dad about the course; since I want to be a writer in future he thought it would be a brilliant choice for me. I haven't actually had a chance to look at the university yet so if anyone's visited it, currently attends there now or has done in the past could they tell me a little bit about what it's like? Cheersies, much appreciated! :biggrin:

I really like the campus (there are lots of green spaces and a huge park next to it), and the buildings have been redone quite recently. There's currently a new block of accommodation and a large university building being built on the main campus so if you go to see you'll have to look beyond the building work a bit, but it's nice that they're always improving. The building on Salford Quays is really impressive.

The SU is decent, bit expensive, and there's a grassy area outside where students tend to congregate after exams in May.

I'm not sure what else to say... I've been at Salford for 3 years and I'm in my final year now. If you have any questions feel free to ask (quote me or I won't notice). :smile:
Original post by k3ro
I really like the campus (there are lots of green spaces and a huge park next to it), and the buildings have been redone quite recently. There's currently a new block of accommodation and a large university building being built on the main campus so if you go to see you'll have to look beyond the building work a bit, but it's nice that they're always improving. The building on Salford Quays is really impressive.

The SU is decent, bit expensive, and there's a grassy area outside where students tend to congregate after exams in May.

I'm not sure what else to say... I've been at Salford for 3 years and I'm in my final year now. If you have any questions feel free to ask (quote me or I won't notice). :smile:

What do you study?
Reply 5
Original post by MrBiology
What do you study?

Physics (with studies in North America). MPhys, which is why I'm doing 4 years.
The biology people also have the America option I believe.
Original post by k3ro
Physics (with studies in North America). MPhys, which is why I'm doing 4 years.
The biology people also have the America option I believe.

Haha did my username give it away?
Reply 7
Haha did my username give it away?

Just a bit. :tongue: I'm friends with quite a lot of people from the biology/biochem course (met them during the exchange year in the USA). They seem to like their course.
Original post by k3ro
Just a bit. :tongue: I'm friends with quite a lot of people from the biology/biochem course (met them during the exchange year in the USA). They seem to like their course.

Hmm, got any details on the facilities available for us?
Reply 9
Hmm, got any details on the facilities available for us?

I'll ask my friends and drop you a message when they get back to me. Kinda hijacked OP's thread. :tongue:
Original post by k3ro
I'll ask my friends and drop you a message when they get back to me. Kinda hijacked OP's thread. :tongue:

Haha sure, would appreciate it
I got an unconditional for Media & Performance and it'll be my firm, I've been there twice and I REALLY love the Adelphi Building (place where most of drama and music stuff going on). Its and old building ( I think it was a factory or something before?) but its a building with a real soul, plus all the staff I met were SUPER friendly. Plus Bramall court is super close to the Adelphi building, its a bit old but it looks alright as far as student accommodation goes and its fairly cheap. Plus like half of the BBC moved to Salford (stuff like the Voice?). MediaCity is HEAVEN though I dont know how much you'd use that, but they are opening a brand new Arts building in 15/16, while still keeping Adelphi open so I think its really good. Plus unconditional offers mean like 90% of exam stress is gona haha
Reply 12
Congrats on the unconditional offer! I've got a conditional one, my firm choice for sure! I went to the open day and everything was fantastic, I couldn't fault it. I'm wanting to do Counselling and Psychotherapy which obviously is way different to your course but the staff and the 'feel' of the uni seem great. Good luck!
I visited the campus in July, I literally turned up after coming over from Ireland and they bent over backwards to give me a tour of the podiatry department. i can't speak for all courses but i fell in love with the uni. I've gotten offers from unit that would be higher up than salford but i love salford too much to even consider any others. i got a great feel for the place and it seems like a genuinely fun place to go to uni. hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending