The Student Room Group

Psychology and Language Sciences at UCL vs Psychology at Bristol / UCL

The Psychology and Language Sciences course at UCL seems interesting. Wondering if anyone can provide some insight on it vs straight Psychology courses at equivalent universities like Bristol or UCL.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Looks like this is too niche, lol.
I study straight psych at UCL if you have any questions.
Reply 3
Original post by Noodlzzz

I applied for it as well! May I ask for the requirements you got? Thx a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lynneee
I applied for it as well! May I ask for the requirements you got? Thx a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

A* in psychology, AA in the other A-level's
I study Psychology and have loads of friends on the Psych and Language Sciences course. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. I would suggest unless you have a particular interest in language (or are very good at learning things you're not overly interested) that a straight Psych course might be better, as the language component is pretty strong; they do modules in Grammar and other such things that you'd expect to come more from a Linguistics/English Language degree. But then in 2nd year they do get to do a lang development module where they spend one day a week in a nursery or school - so it does have it's perks :P
Reply 6
Original post by aylawilde
I study Psychology and have loads of friends on the Psych and Language Sciences course. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. I would suggest unless you have a particular interest in language (or are very good at learning things you're not overly interested) that a straight Psych course might be better, as the language component is pretty strong; they do modules in Grammar and other such things that you'd expect to come more from a Linguistics/English Language degree. But then in 2nd year they do get to do a lang development module where they spend one day a week in a nursery or school - so it does have it's perks :P

Hey there this is Lynne. Are you studying in UCL? How do you like the course structure there? Is it more experimental and practical? Thx a lot!
Original post by Lynneee
Hey there this is Lynne. Are you studying in UCL? How do you like the course structure there? Is it more experimental and practical? Thx a lot!

I am yeah! :smile: It's good. I find it quite heavy content-wise; the amount they expect you to remember for exams verges on ridiculous, but it's to be expected as it is UCL, and we don't have any coursework (aside from lab reports) all year.
I wouldn't say it's practical; there's no hands-on people element to the course (which may be a bit disappointing if you want to actually work with people!) but it is very experimental. It's all based on research. You also have a laboratory module. In year 1, lecturers basically do an experiment on your year group (usually a simple computer task) and then you have to write it up into a report. In year 2, you split into groups of about 4, get given a vague area of research by a lecturer, and then have to devise an experiment, collect the data, analyse it and write it up. At the end of year 2 you do a mini-project, which is kind of like a small dissertation. The head lab guy for year two constantly says how this lab aspect of the course is looked upon really highly by external examiners.
If you want any more info feel free to pm me :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by aylawilde
I am yeah! :smile: It's good. I find it quite heavy content-wise; the amount they expect you to remember for exams verges on ridiculous, but it's to be expected as it is UCL, and we don't have any coursework (aside from lab reports) all year.
I wouldn't say it's practical; there's no hands-on people element to the course (which may be a bit disappointing if you want to actually work with people!) but it is very experimental. It's all based on research. You also have a laboratory module. In year 1, lecturers basically do an experiment on your year group (usually a simple computer task) and then you have to write it up into a report. In year 2, you split into groups of about 4, get given a vague area of research by a lecturer, and then have to devise an experiment, collect the data, analyse it and write it up. At the end of year 2 you do a mini-project, which is kind of like a small dissertation. The head lab guy for year two constantly says how this lab aspect of the course is looked upon really highly by external examiners.
If you want any more info feel free to pm me :smile:

Thank you so much for your explanation! I'm an international student so this is really helpful!! Ahhh the revision work before test must be very heavy!!TAT Do you know Bristol very well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lynneee
Thank you so much for your explanation! I'm an international student so this is really helpful!! Ahhh the revision work before test must be very heavy!!TAT Do you know Bristol very well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries :smile: I'm not familiar with the course at Bristol, but I come from there so I can vouch for the area! It's a really great city. x
Just to add 3rd year project can be very hands on if you like that :smile:
I am doing psychology at Bristol, it's a great course and dept but UCL has a better reputation :dontknow: Ask me any questions about Bristol though :smile: It's better for certain areas and reasons e.g. Bristol as a city is less hectic than London, the department is relatively small so you can get to know the staff better, etc.

prepare for your inbox to be attacked by me if I get a goddam offer

Spoiler

Reply 13
Original post by punctuation
I am doing psychology at Bristol, it's a great course and dept but UCL has a better reputation :dontknow: Ask me any questions about Bristol though :smile: It's better for certain areas and reasons e.g. Bristol as a city is less hectic than London, the department is relatively small so you can get to know the staff better, etc.

Hi I am planning to go there a well! XDD is it the course is more experimental? I think the structure is pretty much the same with the one of UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SiminaM
prepare for your inbox to be attacked by me if I get a goddam offer

Spoiler

applied october 15th, offer mid march.
applied october 15th, offer mid march.

OMG I applied on the same day. A friend emailed them and they said in two weeks they should have all their decisions sent so hopefully I won't wait another month.
Just asking, overall is it better or worse than you expected?
Original post by SiminaM
OMG I applied on the same day. A friend emailed them and they said in two weeks they should have all their decisions sent so hopefully I won't wait another month.
Just asking, overall is it better or worse than you expected?

Far exceeds every expectation I had :smile:
Original post by Lynneee
Hi I am planning to go there a well! XDD is it the course is more experimental? I think the structure is pretty much the same with the one of UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Than UCL? I'm not sure. Certainly I'd say all or nearly all of the research in Bristol psychology is experimental, so that just means you're doing experiments to test your hypotheses.
Far exceeds every expectation I had :smile:

Great. And I'm trying not to be nervous and lower my expectations. :frown:

Spoiler

Hopefully I will pm you in two weeks :colondollar:
Original post by SiminaM
Great. And I'm trying not to be nervous and lower my expectations. :frown:

Spoiler

Hopefully I will pm you in two weeks :colondollar:

good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest