The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
I should be doing work :tongue:

:spank:
Nope your "reasoning" only confirmed you didn't have a logical answer. As you believe women should be pain less on the assumption that all women don't pay their fair share (or more) for dates or relationships. That's ridiculous. Your silly policy would treat many women unfairly, myself including as I paid for everything in my last relationship. Also how on earth can society move on and stop expecting men to pay for things if you are giving them more money? Again not logical.

Edit: And that isn't even including same sex relationships.

So it turns out you're delusional as well? Funny how you're sounding a lot like the MRA's with the 'Not all of us are like that' defense.

Meanwhile, in the real world you have surveys which show most people expect men to not only pay for dates but a whole array of additional expenses. http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/featured-articles/who-pays-first-date-gender-roles-couples/

Then you have idiots like this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emmajohnson/2014/10/02/men-should-pay-on-first-dates-and-that-does-not-undermine-feminism/

http://www.bustle.com/articles/22935-can-you-be-a-feminist-and-still-expect-guys-to-pay

And your last point is complete nonsense too considering there has been progress in the way of income disparities within the past few decades but expectations for men to pay are still the same. You're going to have to try a lot harder than this to convince me.

As for your same sex question, from what I've heard many gay couples either split bills or take alternated turns. Maybe due to the expectations we discussed earlier not being present to the same degree?
Original post by Zander01
So it turns out you're delusional as well? Funny how you're sounding a lot like the MRA's with the 'Not all of us are like that' defense.

Meanwhile, in the real world you have surveys which show most people expect men to not only pay for dates but a whole array of additional expenses. http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/featured-articles/who-pays-first-date-gender-roles-couples/

Then you have idiots like this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emmajohnson/2014/10/02/men-should-pay-on-first-dates-and-that-does-not-undermine-feminism/

http://www.bustle.com/articles/22935-can-you-be-a-feminist-and-still-expect-guys-to-pay

And your last point is complete nonsense too considering there has been progress in the way of income disparities within the past few decades but expectations for men to pay are still the same. You're going to have to try a lot harder than this to convince me.

As for your same sex question, from what I've heard many gay couples either split bills or take alternated turns. Maybe due to the expectations we discussed earlier not being present to the same degree?

You seem to have completely ignored the fact it would punish people completely innocent of this assumption of yours.

You also completely ignored the fact it would impact of females in same sex relationships, who would both be paid less than their male counterparts purely because they are women.

If you don't want to pay for everything in a relationship I suggest you stop doing so instead of punishing all women because you're bitter that your ex was a bit of a princess, okay? Great.
You seem to have completely ignored the fact it would punish people completely innocent of this assumption of yours.

You also completely ignored the fact it would impact of females in same sex relationships, who would both be paid less than their male counterparts purely because they are women.

If you don't want to pay for everything in a relationship I suggest you stop doing so instead of punishing all women because you're bitter that your ex was a bit of a princess, okay? Great.

Not really considering my 'assumption' actually has nothing to do with the real reasons why salary gaps exist. I wasn't expressing a desire for change that would punish or reward anyone, but simply making a point that as things stand now it is theoretically fair that men are being paid slightly more if they have to spend more?

Again, it wouldn't impact on anyone because It's an excuse, not an idea to actually be implemented. However it's interesting you bring up lesbian couples because they actually get paid more than straight women too: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/11300056/Gay-men-earn-less-than-straight-men-but-lesbians-are-paid-more.html
Reply 1004
Child benefit should be scrapped. If you can't afford them; don't have them.

If you have them when you can't afford to support them then you are committing a form of child abuse and authorities should intervene.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
In my view if the state is paying to essentially help raise your child, then it kind of does have a "right" to have a say as the tax payer is like a third parent in some situations. I disagree with the last part of your argument. It's not "dicounting" life. I'll put it to you this way. Lets say a woman is pregant during a drought in a country with a low quality of life. Would you advise her to abort the child, for it to not be bought up into a world of suffering due to its unfortuante circumstances that it could not control or would you let it be born as all life is "holy" and deserves equality? I know the first option is the most ostensible.

The state doesn't love and nurture children though, does it? State benefits rely on the parent first claiming them and then spending them on the children. Some proud parents don't even claim benefits they're eligible for. The state is in no way your 'parent', it is a body of government. If you advise someone to get an abortion, you are discounting the life of the child. Even if, like you say, it's for the "greater good". That's not an argument. I understand your point that sometimes children are born into unfortunate circumstances, and there's high infant mortality and poor quality of life, but it is ultimately the parent's decision. I think it's important to educate a population about abortion and the use of birth control, but I don't think that you should try to influence people's decisions on these things. Let people be individuals and make up their own minds.
Original post by desdemonata
Hang on now, does raising a child not cost money anymore? When did that happen... Last I checked raising a child is actually one of the most costly things a couple can decide to do. Google "average cost raising a child UK" and tell me the figures you see aren't staggering.

Please. Tell me how you plan to raise your child solely on "human compassion", on the streets in a cardboard box?

I'm not saying it doesn't cost money. But have you googled "average cost of raising a child in India"? Some great people come from impoverished and disadvantaged backgrounds. You can't look at someone's salary and decide whether or not you think it's appropriate that they should bear children. What sort of human does that make you? Caring and loving your child is miles more important than feeding it caviar, I mean, look at these rich kids who can't cope with the real world once they have to live life outside of daddy's wallet. Sometimes, coming from a bad background can propel you forwards in life.
Original post by katinthehat
I'm not saying it doesn't cost money. But have you googled "average cost of raising a child in India"? Some great people come from impoverished and disadvantaged backgrounds. You can't look at someone's salary and decide whether or not you think it's appropriate that they should bear children. What sort of human does that make you? Caring and loving your child is miles more important than feeding it caviar, I mean, look at these rich kids who can't cope with the real world once they have to live life outside of daddy's wallet. Sometimes, coming from a bad background can propel you forwards in life.

But on the flip side, a lot of people only have one or two children because that's all they can afford. Meanwhile, there are people who have children after children because they know the state will pay for them. And then whinge when they have to find work.:rolleyes:
I don't believe that we should treat the armed service personnel as some holy grail over other professions.
Original post by _morsey_
i don't believe that we should treat the armed service personnel as some holy grail over other professions.

finally

someone else
Original post by Reue

If you have them when you can't afford to support them then you are committing a form of child abuse and authorities should intervene.

So true!
Original post by _Morsey_
I don't believe that we should treat the armed service personnel as some holy grail over other professions.

Agreed. Of course, if you (and your profession doesn't matter one bit) go out your way and do something worthy of being recognised as a hero, then yes. But just because of the job you do? No.
Original post by Reue

But what happens if you lose your job, become a widow, become disabled, etc?
Reply 1013
Original post by OU Student
But what happens if you lose your job, become disabled, etc?

Other benefits should be boosted to cover the children in these circumstances. I was referring to when people specifically have children to begin with.

become a widow,

Not the state's responsibility. Get life insurance/Spouse pension.
Original post by Reue
Not the state's responsibility. Get life insurance/Spouse pension.

How harsh. :frown: Not everyone can get life insurance.
Reply 1015
How harsh. :frown: Not everyone can get life insurance.

I'm aware; but those who are unable to do so will inevitably qualify for disability benefit instead.
I believe that all foetuses should be screened for genetic diseases and aborted if a positive result is found.
Reply 1017
Original post by liammckkk
I believe that all foetuses should be screened for genetic diseases and aborted if a positive result is found.

To be quite honest I find that idea disgusting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Travellers/gypsies shouldn't have discrimination protections.
Original post by liammckkk

Those tests aren't always accurate

Latest