The Student Room Group

edexcel biology as coursework

i'm currently doing my coursework for biology, most of my sources are web-based, can i use some information from my psychology book? (topic is kinda psychology-related too) and count it as a non-web source? or do i have to use something else. Also I'm doing insomnia, do I have to state what the problem is specifically or can it just be insomnia?
Reply 1
Original post by bubblegumcat
i'm currently doing my coursework for biology, most of my sources are web-based, can i use some information from my psychology book? (topic is kinda psychology-related too) and count it as a non-web source? or do i have to use something else. Also I'm doing insomnia, do I have to state what the problem is specifically or can it just be insomnia?

That book should be fine. I just found a random molecular biology book in my school library and used that.

I think you would have to go into detail about the specific problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

I got 100% for this and I used a couple of books in my reference list. To really bump up your mark, use google scholar and have some journal articles as references.
Insomnia as a title is very broad, what specifically will you be talking about?
Original post by georgem93
I got 100% for this and I used a couple of books in my reference list. To really bump up your mark, use google scholar and have some journal articles as references.
Insomnia as a title is very broad, what specifically will you be talking about?

I've been writing about insomnia, how it's caused, what the symptoms are, and the different types of insomnia there are, then i wrote about a solution and alternative solutions. is this ok? or should i come up with a specific question? i've seen coursework example where people just talk about infertility, but not really a specific question, just infertility :s-smilie: so are you saying that using my psychology book would be ok? it's a book given by my school, it's not a revision guide but just an AS book, my friend said it would be ok but i'm not too sure, and thanks for the suggestions
Original post by mliela
That book should be fine. I just found a random molecular biology book in my school library and used that.

I think you would have to go into detail about the specific problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 5
I've been writing about insomnia, how it's caused, what the symptoms are, and the different types of insomnia there are, then i wrote about a solution and alternative solutions. is this ok? or should i come up with a specific question? i've seen coursework example where people just talk about infertility, but not really a specific question, just infertility :s-smilie: so are you saying that using my psychology book would be ok? it's a book given by my school, it's not a revision guide but just an AS book, my friend said it would be ok but i'm not too sure, and thanks for the suggestions

the Psychology book would be ok, is it OCR psychology?
To be on the safe side, I would recommend you use google books and find a similar bit of information in a different psychology book.

Mine had a specific title 'the effectiveness of Riluzole in treating amyotrophic lateral sclerosis'
Specific questions mean that your essay will end up with more structure and flow better.
I'm assuming you're going to or have already spoke about sleeping tablets like Zopiclone and promethazine hcl?
the Psychology book would be ok, is it OCR psychology?
To be on the safe side, I would recommend you use google books and find a similar bit of information in a different psychology book.

Mine had a specific title 'the effectiveness of Riluzole in treating amyotrophic lateral sclerosis'
Specific questions mean that your essay will end up with more structure and flow better.
I'm assuming you're going to or have already spoke about sleeping tablets like Zopiclone and promethazine hcl?

thanks, I need to hand the first draft of my report this week to get feedback, so i'll see what the teacher says about using the psychology book, and no, it's an AQA book. I've spoken about benzodiazepines and how they help with insomnia, could i still keep all of what i wrote so far but change the title to something specific?
Reply 7
Thats the beauty of a level coursework, your first draft isnt your final draft!
You can only keep whats relevant to the specific title.
In the benzo section did you use specific examples like diazepam, lorazepam, oxazempam, midazolam and mention that they have a lot of side effects and one benzo, temazepam, is actually a controlled drug in the UK?
Thats the beauty of a level coursework, your first draft isnt your final draft!
You can only keep whats relevant to the specific title.
In the benzo section did you use specific examples like diazepam, lorazepam, oxazempam, midazolam and mention that they have a lot of side effects and one benzo, temazepam, is actually a controlled drug in the UK?

I used a few examples, but I haven't gone into too much detail about them, I wrote a small amount on the half-life of some of them and what effect it will have on the body, however mostly I've been talking how they were created, what effect they have on body that helps to treat insomnia, benzo dependency, damn..i don't think i've been very specific :/
Reply 9
I used a few examples, but I haven't gone into too much detail about them, I wrote a small amount on the half-life of some of them and what effect it will have on the body, however mostly I've been talking how they were created, what effect they have on body that helps to treat insomnia, benzo dependency, damn..i don't think i've been very specific :/

Maybe speak to your teacher about changing your title to something like 'a review of medication used to treat insomnia' ?
theres plenty of medication and plenty of information out there to use as sources.
Maybe speak to your teacher about changing your title to something like 'a review of medication used to treat insomnia' ?
theres plenty of medication and plenty of information out there to use as sources.

oh yeah maybe...could it also be something like 'a review of treatment used to treat insomnia'? I've also written about therapy treatment which doesn't involve medication. Also, wouldn't insomnia just be a problem on it's own? do I really need to be specific with the problem?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
oh yeah maybe...could it also be something like 'a review of treatment used to treat insomnia'? I've also written about therapy treatment which doesn't involve medication

yeah I dont see why not :smile:
ahh i miss these days, my dissertation topic is 'Does TFG beta1 induce myeloma migration in a process involving beta 7 integrin’s' I have to do the research in the lab and then a 12,000-15,000 word write up! :frown:
yeah I dont see why not :smile:
ahh i miss these days, my dissertation topic is 'Does TFG beta1 induce myeloma migration in a process involving beta 7 integrin’s' I have to do the research in the lab and then a 12,000-15,000 word write up! :frown:

thanks! is there anything i would need to take out thats not relevant to my title? i've gone into detail about insomnia, then i've spoken about benzos, how they were created, implications of them, effectiveness ...then i spoke about alt solutions such as cognitive behavioural therapy and melatonin, or does all this information fit in with the title? and wow, that's look so confusing:s-smilie: what do you study?:eek:
Reply 13
thanks! is there anything i would need to take out thats not relevant to my title? i've gone into detail about insomnia, then i've spoken about benzos, how they were created, implications of them, effectiveness ...then i spoke about alt solutions such as cognitive behavioural therapy and melatonin, or does all this information fit in with the title? and wow, that's look so confusing:s-smilie: what do you study?:eek:

Umm you need to introduce what insomnia is haha.
melatonin is drug therapy, but it has to be used with strict compliance otherwise it can cause horrible side effects!

I study biomedicine
Umm you need to introduce what insomnia is haha.
melatonin is drug therapy, but it has to be used with strict compliance otherwise it can cause horrible side effects!

I study biomedicine

oh yeah haha, i've done that...i guess i should also mention the strict compliance that comes with melatonin...thanks for your help!
Reply 15
oh yeah haha, i've done that...i guess i should also mention the strict compliance that comes with melatonin...thanks for your help!

no worries!
maybe mention the advantages of modified release medicines too.

Quick Reply

Latest