The Student Room Group

Grow your Grades --> Chittesh's Journey!

Hello guys, here is my blog on my progress of my GCSE Grades.
First of all, I took part in this competition of 'Grow your grades' to actually share my progress, techniques, skills with others and also to collaborate with others!

I am aiming for mostly all A*'s in my GCSEs, obviously aim for the highest. I don't know why I think i'll never get it, just usually am lazy and pessimistic.

Here are a list of the GCSEs I've taken:

GCSE Maths (Completed - A*)

GCSE English Language

GCSE English Literature

GCSE Physics --> Triple Science

GCSE Chemistry --> Triple Science

GCSE Biology --> Triple Science

GCSE RE

GCSE Computer Science

GCSE Graphics

GCSE Geography

Target Grades (Calculated from KS3 Sats Results) and Projected Grades:

GCSE Maths (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - got Grade A*

GCSE English (Target) - Grade C (Projected) - Grade C1

GCSE Chemistry (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - Grade A

GCSE Physics (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - Grade A

GCSE Biology (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - Grade B

GCSE RE (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - Grade B

GCSE Computer Science (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - Grade C1

GCSE Graphics (Target) - Grade C (Projected) - Grade D3

GCSE Geography (Target) - Grade B (Projected) - Grade C

Exam Boards for Each GCSE:

GCSE Maths - Edexcel A (Linear)

GCSE English Language - AQA

GCSE English Literature - AQA

GCSE Physics --> Triple Science - OCR B

GCSE Chemistry --> Triple Science - OCR B

GCSE Biology --> Triple Science - OCR B

GCSE RE - Edexcel Unit 1 & Unit 8

GCSE Computer Science - OCR

GCSE Graphics - Edexcel

GCSE Geography - Edexcel B

The GCSE's that were compulsory for me to take were: GCSE Maths, GCSE English Language & Literature, GCSE Physics, GCSE Chemistry, GCSE Biology. I chose Triple Science as I wanted to challenge myself and I think I can achieve good grades, if I work hard which I don't and am now going to! This is also why I've made this thread, to get more motivation and achieve my grades! My current grade for Maths is meant to be A/A* but they gave me a B as a mistake apparently ^_^.

Some information about me is, I love maths - it is my favourite subject. I'm going to take GCSE Maths in Year 10. Therefore, I might take GCSE Additional Maths in Year 11, but it depends if I can handle all of the stress together as it is really tough. I used to hate GCSE Chemistry until my parents told me I have to get high grades and forced me into revision, well they told me I wouldn't succeed in life if I kept getting U's and E's in Chemistry. Also, the extra motivation was given to me by my Chemistry teacher who was supportive to me all the time, regardless of the grades I got in Chemistry. Therefore, now I love it! I revise for it, sometimes I get lazy and revise last minute for tests, however my grades are improving! Biology is still a subject I dislike, however from now I'm going to improve in it, as well as Graphics. Geography is alright, I enjoy it and find it cool. Physics is also a great subject, love it, just we barely get tests on it and it's quite tough. My brother got A* in GCSE Physics and Maths, so it'll be an advantage for me. Furthermore, the rest of the subjects I like aswell, English I find quite tough, I'm lazy, I never revise for it. However, from now on I will. GCSE Geography, I've got good/bad results, 2 tests 1 good 1 bad, revised for 1, didn't revise at all for the other.

I've done nearly every single past paper for Maths, even before finishing the syllabus, my brother told me not to and it was quite stupid of me too. Now, I've finished most of it and I'm repeating most of the past papers and improving so I'm delighted. My average mark on a non-calculator paper is usually 70-80 marks and sometimes higher, not sure on a calculator paper. I mostly mark papers by myself therefore the marks might not be accurate, which is why I've made such a high range between my average marks.

In Chemistry, I just done a test on the module C3, I got 21/25 marks and got an A*. The mark for A* was 21, so it was a borderline A*. However, since the last papers I've been getting A*-B's and maybe a Grade C. Therefore, I'm getting high grades and I am happy + impressed. I just done a test like 2 days ago, I finished with 19 minutes to spare and we had 1 hour instead of 1 hour and 1 minutes. However, I forgot some stuff and topics which is why I struggled slightly. Also, I didn't revise enough -_-.

In Physics, I've had a controlled assessment which I'm still in the progress of completing. I'll finish it by Monday.

In Biology, I've had a few exams and I've got 60% on them, we never got the grade boundaries. However, in another test, I got 33/67 but the test was really hard and therefore I got an A for it. I never or barely revise for Biology tests, like 30 minutes which is why I get bad grades, which I find really ashaming.

Furthermore, I've got mocks in April for every subject. I've done a maths mock non-calculator and got 81% in the mock. I was really happy.

I haven't made a revision timetable yet, but I'm going to soon.
I've made a spreadsheet for GCSE Maths Tracking. I've made a C1 and I think C2 Summary. Also, a B1 and B2 Summary. I've made this so I can use that in case I lose my revision guide as a revision source, it's basically the writing from the book copied onto a word document. I've bought the Edexcel A (Linear) book which covers my whole GCSE Syllabus, a summarised revision guide for Biology / Physics / Chemistry which covers my GCSE Syllabus. Planning to buy a CGP book for each too, as that revision guide is just a summary. I've bought a CGP Geography Book and I'm going to buy the English Language/Literature Books. I've bought 'OMAM - Of Mice And Men' as I had a controlled assessment on it and am going to need it in year 11. I'm going to make this soon for all subjects. It's still incomplete. However, I'm going to take this onto another level! :smile:.

Thanks for reading my thread, I assure you that I will update this thread everyday with something new and that includes: What subjects I revised (& how long for), if I developed a revision spreadsheet, done a past paper/marked it (& percentage/grade) etc.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sunday, 1st February, 2015:

14:30 PM

Cleared my table:
All papers / books in order:
1 pile of school books - All school subject books
1 pile of school tests including maths mock - Chemistry tests, Biology tests, computer science test, maths test, maths mock test
1 pile of past papers - all maths past papers, senior maths challenge past papers, intermediate maths challenge past papers
1 pile of folders, certificates - Mathswatchs worksheets, certificates from primary school - highschool
1 pile of revision books - GCSE (OCR) Biology, Chemistry, Physics Revision Guides, CGP Geography, GCSE Additional Science (OCR) - Biology, Chemistry, Phyics, Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Linear Higher Student Book, Geography (Internet) Revision Resources, Mathswatch Questions2Success, etc.

15:35 PM

Finished by Maths Progress Tracker
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Sunday, 1st February, 2015:

18:17 PM

Finished making my Chemistry Progress Tracker

20:05 PM

1 hour of Geography Revision. Unit 1 - SubTopic 3: - Battle Of The Biosphere
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Come on guys, reply on my thread, make me more motivated! I've got no one commenting on my thread, apart from myself, tracking my progress!

Monday, 2nd February, 2015:

19:30 PM

Finished making my Physics Progress Tracker.

21:00 - 22:10 PM

Revising for a Maths Exam, topics for the Exam:

Decimal Calculations
Transformations
Equations (Simple + Double Sided)
Surface Area
Scatter Graph
Scatter Diagrams
Probability
Dividing Given Ratio

Since some of the topics are far too easy and I've learnt them already, I've moved on and took them onto a tougher grade to learn. Instead of decimal calculations, I'm going to be learning go over recurring decimals again and learn how to identify from a fraction if when converted into a decimal, it is recurring or terminating.
I revised transformations as I'm not that good at shapes, especially when it comes to rotating them 90 degrees or 270 degrees in any direction, whether it's anticlockwise or clockwise.
Instead of revising, simple and double-sided equations, I went on further and revised 'Simultaneous Linear Equations' and Solving Complex Equations.
For the surface area, I just revised it again, just incase and then went onto memorising the formulas of how to work out the volume of certain shapes, such as: prisms, cubes, spheres, cylinders etc.
For the rest of the topics, I just went zoomed through them and read the important parts and answered a few questions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Tuesday, 3rd February 2015:

Done my Maths Test today, think I got around 85%. As, I forgot formulaes in the test, but we weren't told to revise this stuff, so it's alright. It went good overall, so I'm happy, :smile:.

Finished my Biology Progress Tracker, finished all Science Trackers & Maths, Geography/RE left to do, which I might not do today, possibly tomorrow as they're not too important yet as I barely get exams for RE. Graphics there is nothing to track really, English we are not told our exam syllabus until we finish one, we get to know the next one.

After having a bath, I'm going to finish my English story, furthermore if I have time do 1 Intermediate Challenge Past Paper.
Finished the English story, murder mystery. Didn't have time to do an intermediate challenge paper, done my geography homework instead. Sorted out my USB files made it more neat.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Wednesday, 4th Februrary, 2015:

Today, I completed 2 intermediate challenge past papers, I didn't really look at their solutions, but I slightly checked some of them. Got most questions right anyway, so it's all going good! :smile:. Furthermore, I made solutions for the intermediate maths challenge 2013, to practice in the future when I need to revise, as the UKMT challenges solutions are far too advanced.
If you time to spend writing this all up you should use it for revising more, Im doing similar thing but i have a small little notepad in which i record my activities in.
Reply 7
Original post by AsianStandard
If you time to spend writing this all up you should use it for revising more, Im doing similar thing but i have a small little notepad in which i record my activities in.

I do lol, other than the grow your grades thread which took me a while.
The rest, I write whilst doing work or alone, it takes like 2-5 minutes to write a paragraph, I doubt time is that crucial now, nearly done all my exams -_-.
But, yeah I do note this stuff down, but to show that I'm updating and to show the people who view this thread, what I actually do during the day, I have to update everyday.
Reply 8
Thursday, 5th February 2015:

Didn't do much revision today, none at all to be honest, very tired and upset today:/.
Done the intermediate challenge, started well, ended badly. Ended up with 56 marks, a high bronze :/.
Getting chemistry test results tomorrow (Y) hoping for a grade A or higher :wink:.
Going to revise a lot tomorrow (Maths, English and Biology).
What do you think the best revision techniques are ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Husseina2468
What do you think the best revision techniques are ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my opinion, everyone has different ways of revising. For me, I just read what I'm trying to remember, and memorise it. For some people, they don't remember it until they write it by answering questions to do with what they're attempted to memorise. One of the best way to revise maths is to answer questions on what you've just learnt, as memorising won't help, Maths is a bit of changing too. Sometimes, the formula might be basic and you have to use your brain to make it advanced, and change it.

Creating a revision timetable helps a lot. It is a great way to organise your study time and boosts your motivation towards each subject. Practicing hard, by revising past papers also helps as you get used to the style of questions which come in a GCSE Exam Paper.

The best way would be to collaborate and share your ideas, helping others will always help you in some way. As no one is flawless, everyone has flaws that other people have as their strengths. Usually, I help people in Maths and they help me back with another subject, for example. English!
Also, taking study breaks helps as constant revision makes you forget what you just revised as your brain can't take all that information.
Saturday, 6th February, 2015:

Sorry for not posting yestarday, I didn't want to really post as I didn't do a lot. Neither did I today, but still felt like posting.

I created my revision timetable, using the study planner tool on the student room. Furthermore, I tried to make flashcards on the student room, but it was tough, so I'll just make them by hand. I've decided to make 4 GCSE Maths papers, with 4 different difficulties: Easy, Medium, Hard and Intermediate. I'll write them onto a word document and turn them into a pdf file. These are to help my friends who are less-capable of answering questions and also for myself & people taking GCSE Maths early. I've finished making the Easy paper, it took me 2 hours still getting used to everything. Tomorrow I will make the rest and follow my revisison timetable.
@Particles, thanks for watching my 'grow your grades' thread and as you've requested to have a look at my revision guides. Here you go:
If anyone wants to use them too, feel free to! :biggrin:.

Science - OCR B
Maths - Edexcel A
Do universities look at GCSE results now, when deciding on whether or not accepting someone ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do universities look at GCSE results now, when deciding on whether or not accepting someone ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Every university looks at your GcSE grade and takes them into count, but A-Levels weigh more than them. However, most C's and a few Bs will not get you into Oxford or Cambridge, unless you get 3 A*s in your A-Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh okay so it's the A levels and the extra curricular stuff that we do during post 16 that count the most when applying for universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh okay so it's the A levels and the extra curricular stuff that we do during post 16 that count the most when applying for universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's right. However, GCSEs are stepping stones to success in A-Levels. If you get A* in GCSE Chemistry, for example, it means that you know most of the GcSE content and therefore you will find some of AS Level easy, as you will understand when and how to apply the stuff you learnt from gcse chemistry into a certain part of as chemistry. However, if you got a U, you have no knowledge, and they won't even let you take it for as level. You need a B in the subjects you want to take at AS Level. Also, if you're really clever, and you do additional maths, it also adds onto ucas points :P and all this can be added into your personal statement (cv) also challenges like senior maths challenge include too. Some 6th forms might not accept you, if your gcse grades are bad too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you or can you revise for computer science because right now computer science is one of the subjects I am doing and I find it almost impossible to revise for the subject. (Are there any really good revision books for computer science, exam board Ocr gateway)
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you or can you revise for computer science because right now computer science is one of the subjects I am doing and I find it almost impossible to revise for the subject. (Are there any really good revision books for computer science, exam board Ocr gateway)
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, as I said, I'm unsure about my exam board for Computer Science. However, I'm going to find it out. Computer Science involves coding mostly, I've got a controlled assessment that I'm currently doing at school which involves coding using the programme Python, and I cannot tell you the name of the Controlled Assessment, however it's alright and contributes to 30% towards my final grade. As far as I know, from my research, we will have another task which is for 'Practical Investigation' which also weighs 30% of our final grade, making the remaining 40% our final exam paper which is about computer systems and programming.

To revise for the controlled assessment, you have to spend your own time at school working on it, knowing the rules, commands etc. Another way is to download it at home, play around with it, and improve your programming knowledge at home, and develop it at school.

To revise for the final exam, revise everything to do with computers, including programming. This includes, the body of the computer; like input/output devices, binary/denary numbers, advantages and disadvantages of the components of a computer, knowledge related to coding; such as variables, datatypes, strings etc. Also, revise algorithms as they might ask you to do write one about a certain topic, and you have to write it step-by-step.
Ah, okay thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending