The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, anyone doing UNIT6 ISA? And if so any idea what it's on?? I'm a external student resitting mine so I have MINIMUM idea what it is on :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 121
Original post by susanjan123
Hey guys, anyone doing UNIT6 ISA? And if so any idea what it's on?? I'm a external student resitting mine so I have MINIMUM idea what it is on :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same question but for the EMPA hahha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing my first practical on 26th Feb, but dunno what's it on. What date r u doin it on?
I haven't been told a date yet, mine is on capacitors :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
I haven't been told a date yet, mine is on capacitors :|

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a mock EMPA on that the other week aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 126
Original post by KeithHayward

Jeez. I'm going to go with D.
Reply 127

Isn't it A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128

What's your reasoning?
Original post by JaySP
Jeez. I'm going to go with D.

The answer is B (june 2009). What's the reasoning behind both of your answers? Im stumped?
Reply 130
The answer is B (june 2009). What's the reasoning behind both of your answers? Im stumped?

My reasoning:
If l, length, is smaller, the time period T will as a result be smaller. If T is smaller, the acceleration will be larger. Since acceleration is proportional to displacement from equilibrium, if acceleration is larger, the amplitude will be larger.

Are you sure its June 09? just tried to find the examiners report but no Unit 4 paper was released that cycle?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JaySP
My reasoning:
If l, length, is smaller, the time period T will as a result be smaller. If T is smaller, the acceleration will be larger. Since acceleration is proportional to displacement from equilibrium, if acceleration is larger, the amplitude will be larger.

Are you sure its June 09? just tried to find the examiners report but no Unit 4 paper was released that cycle?

I'm sure (https://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=13924&ResourceId=2727216). That was my reasoning too. If you know how to, do you mind @ing 'stonebridge'?
Reply 132
I'm sure (https://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=13924&ResourceId=2727216). That was my reasoning too. If you know how to, do you mind @ing 'stonebridge'?

Can't find the examiner's report anywhere.:confused::confused: and I don't know how to @ someone on TSR, sorry :confused::confused::confused:
Is it to do with resonance and the natural frequency being similar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 134
Original post by dannywaughman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doons

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by JaySP
Doons

Is this right? If so how do you know that the nat freqs are similar?
Reply 136
Is this right? If so how do you know that the nat freqs are similar?

I think Danny and I concluded:
Something about the length of strings being related to the frequency of oscillation
Something about the frequency of P being the Natural Frequency
Something about the closer the string length to P, the more vigorous the oscillations of the other mass (ie resonance).

It does make a little sense. if two lengths of a string are the same, they are going to have the same time period, and thus similiar amplitudes. (Or I'm just BS'ing).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 137

I don't know tbh. I thought as it was longest it had the largest amplitude, but then I realised I got mixed up between the relationship between length and amplitude and length and time period aha. Sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by JaySP
I think Danny and I concluded:
Something about the length of strings being related to the frequency of oscillation
Something about the frequency of P being the Natural Frequency
Something about the closer the string length to P, the more vigorous the oscillations of the other mass (ie resonance).

It does make a little sense. if two lengths of a string are the same, they are going to have the same time period, and thus similiar amplitudes. (Or I'm just BS'ing).

Original post by CD223
I don't know tbh. I thought as it was longest it had the largest amplitude, but then I realised I got mixed up between the relationship between length and amplitude and length and time period aha. Sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It makes quite a bit of sense, but I don't know if we're missing something. To save us teaching ourselves the wrong thing i'll ask my teacher tomorrow and see what he says...

CD223 I did the same earlier :frown:

Will keep you all updated if nothing else emerges in the meantime
Reply 139
It makes quite a bit of sense, but I don't know if we're missing something. To save us teaching ourselves the wrong thing i'll ask my teacher tomorrow and see what he says...

CD223 I did the same earlier :frown:

Will keep you all updated if nothing else emerges in the meantime

If you can, let us know the reason behind why it's B!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending