The Student Room Group

Have you started revising for May/june exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by majdalemon
LOL... 3 months is nothing? That's not true, come on! And how in the world do you start "revising" in the beginning of the year when we are still studying the syllabus? Doesn't make any sense at all.:confused:

What syllabus ? as soon as you get the ****ing text book u should revise. Its not like you doing the subject's for the first time. Teachers dont even teach everything... it would be understandable if you're doing a new subject that u dont know anything about then its necessary to finnish the sy4 before revise. Otherwise...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bobbricks
Last year, I started revising in like February (mostly AS + some A2 maths modules) but that's because I was inspired to do well since I was aiming for Cambridge (so needed to get as high UMS as possible). Since I didn't get in, I've kind of lost that enthusiasm which has lead to procrastination. :redface:

I did this. I have since realised that I need to work hard to get into nearly any university. Cambridge's entry requirements are actually very low so it's easy to get in if you get an offer. For other universities you have to work extremely hard to get in after the offer.
If this is applicable, just remember that you need to put in a huge amount of work in to get into university this year or at all.
Original post by morgan8002
I did this. I have since realised that I need to work hard to get into nearly any university. Cambridge's entry requirements are actually very low so it's easy to get in if you get an offer. For other universities you have to work extremely hard to get in after the offer.
If this is applicable, just remember that you need to put in a huge amount of work in to get into university this year or at all.

"Cambridge's entry requirements are actually very low so it's easy to get in if you get an offer."
Any A-level offer is reasonably straight forward to achieve... STEP paper offers on the other hand... You might want to reword your argument :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsandaLFC
What syllabus ? as soon as you get the ****ing text book u should revise. Its not like you doing the subject's for the first time. Teachers dont even teach everything... it would be understandable if you're doing a new subject that u dont know anything about then its necessary to finnish the sy4 before revise. Otherwise...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoa....talk about being hot-headed. For AS, you DO start the subjects and the syllabus for the first time. Of course EVERYONE revises by doing homework or doing class projects, and plus teachers have tests so we have to study for those as well - that's common sense. But HARDCORE review comes before the test date otherwise you won't remember anything. But whatever, everyone has their own effective way of studying...:wink:
hey does anyone have em notes for igcse??
Original post by Alex_Aits
"Cambridge's entry requirements are actually very low so it's easy to get in if you get an offer."
Any A-level offer is reasonably straight forward to achieve... STEP paper offers on the other hand... You might want to reword your argument :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was including STEP. Obviously STEP is the hardest part of the offer.
Original post by AsandaLFC

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woah chill out mate.
Original post by Jalal Uddin
Woah chill out mate.

They're right. If you don't have unconditional offers, you should study at least 12 hours every day from mid August to the end of June in year 12 and year 13. The earlier you realise this the easier it will be. I didn't realise this until recently. I was lulled into a false sense of security by all the easy standard A-level offers.
(edited 9 years ago)
They're right. If you don't have unconditional offers, you should study at least 12 hours every day from mid August to the end of June in year 12 and year 13. The earlier you realise this the easier it will be. I didn't realise this until recently. I was lulled into a false sense of security by all the easy standard A-level offers.

Agreed. 12 hours tho? I feel like this number could be increased.
Agreed. 12 hours tho? I feel like this number could be increased.

I said at least. Obviously you should work a bit less in the Autumn, but increase it to ~16 hours by May.
I said at least. Obviously you should work a bit less in the Autumn, but increase it to ~16 hours by May.

Yes, yes. 16 hours seems much more appropriate.

Although, if you didn't get at least 8 A*s (90% UMS+) at GCSE level, this number should again be increased.
I was including STEP. Obviously STEP is the hardest part of the offer.

That makes no sense... tell me one university which gives an offer above and beyond (in difficulty) Cambridge maths haha
Yes, yes. 16 hours seems much more appropriate.

Although, if you didn't get at least 8 A*s (90% UMS+) at GCSE level, this number should again be increased.

You're all going way over the top - studying that amount is neither optimal nor healthy. At AS, from Easter onward, I worked around 4 hours (but at an intense level) which was more than satisfactory.
Currently doing 8 hrs a day. On weekends 10 minimum
You're all going way over the top - studying that amount is neither optimal nor healthy. At AS, from Easter onward, I worked around 4 hours (but at an intense level) which was more than satisfactory.

Sarcasm, my friend :redface:.

4 hours seems like a decent amount actually :yep:. Hoping to do around that much soon.
Hours don't matter unless you use them productively. Doing an hour or so now but hope to do 3/4 in the half term holidays. I need to build it up but once I've done that hopefully I can do 7ish hours before an exam with breaks hopefully and hitting my targets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

4 hours seems like a decent amount actually :yep:. Hoping to do around that much soon.

I see :P I didn't bother reading anything but the single comment so sorry for my lack of thoroughness! Yep 4 hours is a decent amount - I just find moderate amounts of very intense work more beneficial than long slogs of unproductive work. Will probably have to step the work rate up (no pun intended... :wink: ) this year though as I have a reasonable amount to self-teach
That makes no sense... tell me one university which gives an offer above and beyond (in difficulty) Cambridge maths haha

Warwick. For Cambridge you just have to be very good at maths. For other universities you need to be well rounded as well.

I see :P I didn't bother reading anything but the single comment so sorry for my lack of thoroughness! Yep 4 hours is a decent amount - I just find moderate amounts of very intense work more beneficial than long slogs of unproductive work. Will probably have to step the work rate up (no pun intended... :wink: ) this year though as I have a reasonable amount to self-teach

I guess you both have unconditional or very easy offers then.

Haha. Yeah, honestly when I hear people saying they've been doing about 5 hours a day since September I just face palm real bad. Like surely if you've used those hours properly you should be well prepared to take the exams rn :colonhash:

I guess you both have unconditional or very easy offers then.

Yes. I've received unconditional offers from both Cambridge and Oxford university.

Quick Reply

Latest