The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

I just received offers from LSE and Imperial and I am pretty confused with the choice between these two institutions.

LSE
Program: MSc in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics
Tuition fees: £24456
Number of courses: 6 (dissertation included)
Size: approximate 20 students

Imperial College Business School
Program: MSc in Economics and Strategy for Business
Tuition fees: £24000
Number of courses: 18
Size: approximate 180 students

Here is some basic information about these two programs. Could anyone give me some advice? Such as the reputation, teaching quality and graduate prospect. Many thanks!
Original post by hty492383640
I just received offers from LSE and Imperial and I am pretty confused with the choice between these two institutions.

LSE
Program: MSc in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics
Tuition fees: £24456
Number of courses: 6 (dissertation included)
Size: approximate 20 students

Imperial College Business School
Program: MSc in Economics and Strategy for Business
Tuition fees: £24000
Number of courses: 18
Size: approximate 180 students

Here is some basic information about these two programs. Could anyone give me some advice? Such as the reputation, teaching quality and graduate prospect. Many thanks!

LSE hands down. For Economics, with regards to the reputation, teaching quality and graduate prospects, LSE is unchallenged - for a Msc even more so.
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone heard from Warwick recently?
Finally heard back from all UNIs:

4 offers from bristol, nottingham, sussex and leeds.

Rejection from durham today for Econ and management with study abroad

Posted from TSR Mobile
What does everyone think is the top 5/10 hardest unis to get into for economics in the UK
I think it'd be:
Cambridge
LSE
Oxford
Warwick
UCL

What does everyone else think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by galadriel11
Anyone heard from Warwick recently?

A lot of people - myself included - are still waiting for Warwick :frown:. Have you heard back from all your other unis?
Reply 2846
Anybody know when the next UCL Economics Open Day(s) are?
Original post by SMR1997
A lot of people - myself included - are still waiting for Warwick :frown:. Have you heard back from all your other unis?

Yes, just Warwick now! Really want an offer!!
Which uni do you think is better for econ? Bath or Nottingham?

Which has better career prospects with top firms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
My point still stands. The fact that you only need an A in GCSE Maths means the starting level must be pretty basic.

And Bristol is ranked 7th so the difference is negligible. It is irrational to pick a uni based on something trivial like rankings which fluctuate year on year.

I'd agree.I'd say Manchester's course is pretty good too(according to the QS rankings)Bath/Bristol/Notts are pretty similar
Economics:
Bristol VS UCL VS Bath VS Warwick
(Considering each 'VS' for every combination)
What are the cons and pros for each?
Thanks!
Original post by RuairiJH
What does everyone think is the top 5/10 hardest unis to get into for economics in the UK
I think it'd be:
Cambridge
LSE
Oxford
Warwick
UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I agree with this although Warwick/UCL are kind of interchangeable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rkai01
Economics:
Bristol VS UCL VS Bath VS Warwick
(Considering each 'VS' for every combination)
What are the cons and pros for each?
Thanks!

UCL>Warwick>Bristol>Bath
Original post by RuairiJH
I think it'd be:
Cambridge
LSE
Oxford
Warwick
UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile

Statistically, LSE is the most difficult, then Cambridge, oxford, UCL and Warwick
Original post by MrBowcat
UCL>Warwick>Bristol>Bath

How was that conclusion developed, what do you base on? Please don't just say completeuniguide website
Reply 2855
Bristol better by quite a way for pure econ
Original post by ndhala
Bristol better by quite a way for pure econ

Really?
Isn't queenmry a top one though?
Reply 2857
Original post by JPD96
Anybody know when the next UCL Economics Open Day(s) are?

There's one tomorrow
Original post by MrBowcat
Statistically, LSE is the most difficult, then Cambridge, oxford, UCL and Warwick

Actually Oxford has the lowest offer rate (8% vs 14% for LSE and 15% for Camb). But in terms of actual difficulty in getting an offer it's Camb/Ox, then LSE, then Warwick then UCL. Hard to compare Camb vs Ox as you can't apply to both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You cant actually apply for straight economics at oxford so i dont think you can compare a joint degree like ppe or econ management to straight econ in terms of admission difficulty as if the course is different, different things are looked for in an applicant. For example an econ and history applicant in oxford would be favoured if they were very good at history while at say cambridge doing well in history is not as favourable as success in maths for example. Hence we cannot compare difficultly of entrance for economics between oxford and straight econ unis. Also the argument of which is harder to get in is a stupid one, each uni has entirely diffrent requirments and selecting methods. Each year people get into some and not others for example get cam but not lse etc. Lets move on from this and just be happy that we have offers and are going to study such a great subject :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending