The Student Room Group

Have you started revising for May/june exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jalal Uddin
Haha. Yeah, honestly when I hear people saying they've been doing about 5 hours a day since September I just face palm real bad. Like surely if you've used those hours properly you should be well prepared to take the exams rn :colonhash:

Yes. I've received unconditional offers from both Cambridge and Oxford university.

This post was on point :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by morgan8002
Warwick. For Cambridge you just have to be very good at maths. For other universities you need to be well rounded as well.

You are literally chatting out of your backside. If only you had even the smallest awareness... For maths, Warwick gives EVERY APPLICANT with AAB prediction (or it may have been ABB even) an offer - but make the offer 'hard' (still nothing on Cambridge's offer) so as to cut down the numbers.

[Before you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, Warwick is my insurance and Cambridge my firm.]
(edited 9 years ago)
I guess you both have unconditional or very easy offers then.

A*A*A and 1,1 in STEP II and STEP III?
Yeah the A-level bit's easy but...
Haha. Yeah, honestly when I hear people saying they've been doing about 5 hours a day since September I just face palm real bad. Like surely if you've used those hours properly you should be well prepared to take the exams rn :colonhash:

Yes. I've received unconditional offers from both Cambridge and Oxford university.

I haven't been working like that all year, but if someone did, that's only around 750 hours so far. Do you think that's enough to guarantee straight A*s and Ss?
Who the hell starts revising in February? You people are crazy.
Original post by Alex_Aits
You are literally chatting out of your backside. If only you had even the smallest awareness... For maths, Warwick gives EVERY APPLICANT with AAB prediction (or it may have been ABB even) an offer - but make the offer 'hard' (still nothing on Cambridge's offer) so as to cut down the numbers.

[Before you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, Warwick is my insurance and Cambridge my firm.]

A*A*A and 1,1 in STEP II and STEP III?
Yeah the A-level bit's easy but...

I didn't say getting an offer was easy. I said achieving the offer was easy. The difficult part of getting into Cambridge is getting an offer in the first place.

I think it's AAB, but you get interviewed with ABB or something.

I still maintain that the offer is harder. Warwick won't even tell me my offer until August.
I didn't say getting an offer was easy. I said achieving the offer was easy. The difficult part of getting into Cambridge is getting an offer in the first place.

I still maintain that the offer is harder. Warwick won't even tell me my offer until August.

I still don't understand how you're claiming that getting into Warwick is harder than Cambridge?
1) Getting an offer from Cambridge is more difficult (this is indisputable, I got my Warwick offer within 3 hours haha)
2) The Cambridge offer, objectively (i.e. there is no debate), is more difficult. Cambridge ask for A*A*A and 1,1 in STEP II,III whereas Warwick ask for A*A*A and a 2 in any STEP paper [or a lesser alternative]...
Finally the premise of "the difficult part of getting into Cambridge is getting an offer in the first place" is entirely flawed. Look at the number of acceptances relative to the number of offers on the Cambridge application statistics page.

Upon reflection I'd even go as far to say as getting an offer from Cambridge for maths is easy relative to other subjects at the university and, for example, Oxford (and probably Imperial too). Cambridge give out a much higher percentage of applicants offers compared to Oxford statistically.
omg.... the top universities dont think A* in maths is good enough and make you do this "STEP" thing? geez this is depressing to read

You boss.

Original post by hippoposthumous

Ikr :biggrin:

I haven't been working like that all year, but if someone did, that's only around 750 hours so far. Do you think that's enough to guarantee straight A*s and Ss?

Shouldn't you be revising now?
I still don't understand how you're claiming that getting into Warwick is harder than Cambridge?
1) Getting an offer from Cambridge is more difficult (this is indisputable, I got my Warwick offer within 3 hours haha)
2) The Cambridge offer, objectively (i.e. there is no debate), is more difficult. Cambridge ask for A*A*A and 1,1 in STEP II,III whereas Warwick ask for A*A*A and a 2 in any STEP paper [or a lesser alternative]...
Finally the premise of "the difficult part of getting into Cambridge is getting an offer in the first place" is entirely flawed. Look at the number of acceptances relative to the number of offers on the Cambridge application statistics page.

1. I agree with completely.
2. I disagree with. For anyone good at maths, getting those STEP grades is easier than achieving the language requirement. All it takes to get those STEP grades is mathematical ability and some hard work. Any alternate offer from Warwick will be much higher than Cambridge's standard offer. At the very least, they will ask for A*A*A*, 1, 1, 1.

A larger number of applicants fail to get offers than fail to achieve offers. From what I remember it is around 55% rejection, 30% fail to achieve offers, 15% accepted.
Original post by Patrick2810
omg.... the top universities dont think A* in maths is good enough and make you do this "STEP" thing? geez this is depressing to read

Don't worry, later you'll find that several A*s in maths are worth next to nothing.

Shouldn't you be revising now?

Yes, I should be.
1. I agree with completely.
2. I disagree with. For anyone good at maths, getting those STEP grades is easier than achieving the language requirement. All it takes to get those STEP grades is mathematical ability and some hard work. Any alternate offer from Warwick will be much higher than Cambridge's standard offer. At the very least, they will ask for A*A*A*, 1, 1, 1.

A larger number of applicants fail to get offers than fail to achieve offers. From what I remember it is around 55% rejection, 30% fail to achieve offers, 15% accepted.

What the **** are you actually on?
My Warwick offer: A*A*A and a 2 in any STEP paper or A*AA and a 1 in any STEP paper.
Don't worry, later you'll find that several A*s in maths are worth next to nothing.

Yes, I should be.

Off with you then.

Gotta do your 25-hour a day revision, no?

Come on, don't let me down.

:frown::frown::frown: Why ? What unis can you get into w.o STEP and A* in maths?

Not sure if trolling... :s-smilie:
Original post by hippoposthumous

Why? You think its too late?
No I'm to smart, I won't even bring a pen to the exam I'll just kick the door and walk in. Then click my fingers and tell my teacher to get Edexcel on the phone and hand me a copy of the exam paper. Then I will just spit out the answers to them over the phone and walkout.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZeroName
Currently doing 8 hrs a day. On weekends 10 minimum

How do u do that omg when did u start revising
Original post by Patrick2810
:frown::frown::frown: Why ? What unis can you get into w.o STEP and A* in maths?

Most universities will let you in without A* in maths or STEP. Admittedly you will cut the best from your choices.
Consider it the other way around, which universities could you get into with only A*A* in maths and SSS in STEP? The answer is none.

Original post by Ice Dragon
Not sure if trolling... :s-smilie:

No I genuinely believe that it is pretty much impossible to get straight A*s and Ss with only a few hundred hours of work.

Quick Reply

Latest