The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrBowcat
LSE hands down. For Economics, with regards to the reputation, teaching quality and graduate prospects, LSE is unchallenged - for a Msc even more so.

Many thanks for your advice!

Actually I do prefer LSE for economics, however I suppose courses like econometrics are so theoretical that I have to pursue a PhD if I want to find a decent job. The Imperial College Business School one is very practical which may significantly improve my employment potential.

So I am confused with these two programs, also I worry that if IBs recognise economics and business strategy one-year-master students from the Imperial? Just my personal opinion.....
Original post by Rkai01
Economics:
Bristol VS UCL VS Bath VS Warwick
(Considering each 'VS' for every combination)
What are the cons and pros for each?
Thanks!

UCL = Warwick > Bath = Bristol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abccba120
UCL = Warwick > Bath = Bristol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where does your conclusion come from? Not just website rankings plz
Original post by Rkai01
Where does your conclusion come from? Not just website rankings plz

Its my personal opinion from researching the universities and various other data including rankings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hty492383640
Many thanks for your advice!

Actually I do prefer LSE for economics, however I suppose courses like econometrics are so theoretical that I have to pursue a PhD if I want to find a decent job. The Imperial College Business School one is very practical which may significantly improve my employment potential.

So I am confused with these two programs, also I worry that if IBs recognise economics and business strategy one-year-master students from the Imperial? Just my personal opinion.....

The Degree is honestly not as important as the institution, as long as the degree is relevant, which it is. IBs will lap you up if they've that seen you've a masters from LSE. Don't get me wrong Imperial is an excellent institution as well, but for reputation employability in the finance world, especially IB, LSE is the top.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Actually Oxford has the lowest offer rate (8% vs 14% for LSE and 15% for Camb). But in terms of actual difficulty in getting an offer it's Camb/Ox, then LSE, then Warwick then UCL. Hard to compare Camb vs Ox as you can't apply to both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The figures for the Oxford E&M course are extremely inflated by a large number of uncompetitive international applications who see E&M as "Oxford's business degree", and who have no clue what an ideal Oxford student resembles. Thus, taking to account the calibre of applicants, LSE BSc Econ is more competitive.
What would my chances be for bath politics with economics if I applied with below;
Applied Business Studies (A-Level), Grade A(achieved),

ifs Level 3 Diploma in Financial Studies (A-LevelEquivalent), Grade B(achieved),
Chemistry (A-Level predicted, AS obtained), Grade Aobtained, Grade A predicted,
Psychology (A-Level predicted, AS obtained), Grade Aobtained, Grade A predicted,
Sociology (A2 predicted(AS not taken due to one year a level)), Grade A predicted,
Economics (A2 predicted(AS not taken due to one year a level), Grade A predicted,
Photography (AS), Grade D (achieved).

Total = AAAAABd

This would be after 3 years of study, however I would nothave spent more than 2 years studying an A-Level and no more than a yearstudying an AS-Level.
Original post by MrBowcat
The figures for the Oxford E&M course are extremely inflated by a large number of uncompetitive international applications who see E&M as "Oxford's business degree", and who have no clue what an ideal Oxford student resembles. Thus, taking to account the calibre of applicants, LSE BSc Econ is more competitive.

I agree what you say about the inflated application figures for oxford, but I would still defo say that it's harder to get into ox than LSE.
Having to do both a (hard) TSA and interview where u can fall at 3 different hurdles is much harder than just writing a stellar PS. All 3 E and M ox applicants in my year (including me) got ox rejections but we all got LSE offers..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rkai01
Economics:
Bristol VS UCL VS Bath VS Warwick
(Considering each 'VS' for every combination)
What are the cons and pros for each?
Thanks!

From my point of view, those of us taking economics care more about future career prospects than those applying for more vocational courses (English, Classics etc). I would say that the order for career prospects (based heavily on rankings but also employers at a career fair I attended) is Warwick>UCL>Bath>Bristol. Bristol might edge Bath overall but Bath has a real focus on placements and really preparing you for the labour market.
Original post by groovyd97
I agree what you say about the inflated application figures for oxford, but I would still defo say that it's harder to get into ox than LSE.
Having to do both a (hard) TSA and interview where u can fall at 3 different hurdles is much harder than just writing a stellar PS. All 3 E and M ox applicants in my year (including me) got ox rejections but we all got LSE offers..

Posted from TSR Mobile

The application process is different, I agree, but at least we know what Oxford look for in a candidate. LSE on the other hand, are very enigmatic, we don't really know what exactly they're looking for. In my year, 8 students applied to both Oxford and LSE for Econ L101, 4 are offer holders for E&M yet only 2 of us received offers from LSE. 3 of the people that got offers for E&M were rejected by LSE, and they all had incredible personal statements. So I would still argue that LSE is slightly more difficult, because of not only the admission statistics but the ambiguity of what LSE actually perceive as an ideal candidate.
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble at the moment, and I was wondering what you guys thought on the matter. I applied for Cambridge this year and sadly was rejected, it really hit me hard since I know a lot of people when go there. My second choice was Warwick, however I still haven't heard back from them. However I have a bit of an issue. One of the main reasons I wanted to go to Cambridge was the entire college system, I abseloutely love the concept of a collegiate system and I am sure I would enjoy it tremendously. I have an offer to study economics at Durham, however I now have to decide whether I want to go to Warwick (considering I get an offer, which is never guaranteed) or go to Durham and enjoy the old buildings and collegiate system, but sacrifice the amazing course at Warwick.... Any thoughts
Original post by Paddy444
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble at the moment, and I was wondering what you guys thought on the matter. I applied for Cambridge this year and sadly was rejected, it really hit me hard since I know a lot of people when go there. My second choice was Warwick, however I still haven't heard back from them. However I have a bit of an issue. One of the main reasons I wanted to go to Cambridge was the entire college system, I abseloutely love the concept of a collegiate system and I am sure I would enjoy it tremendously. I have an offer to study economics at Durham, however I now have to decide whether I want to go to Warwick (considering I get an offer, which is never guaranteed) or go to Durham and enjoy the old buildings and collegiate system, but sacrifice the amazing course at Warwick.... Any thoughts

Personally I'd say go for Warwick, the course seems excellent and the campus is lovely and everyone there did seem really friendly. Both places are quite quiet but Warwick obviously seemed more student-y because it is a campus uni, it also has an excellent reputation for economics
Either way wherever you go you'll have a great time :smile:

Just out of curiosity which other 2 unis did you apply to, because I also applied to warwick, durham and Cambridge? :biggrin:
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Personally I'd say go for Warwick, the course seems excellent and the campus is lovely and everyone there did seem really friendly. Both places are quite quiet but Warwick obviously seemed more student-y because it is a campus uni, it also has an excellent reputation for economics
Either way wherever you go you'll have a great time :smile:

Just out of curiosity which other 2 unis did you apply to, because I also applied to warwick, durham and Cambridge? :biggrin:

I applied to Bath and Bristol also :smile:
Original post by Paddy444
I applied to Bath and Bristol also :smile:

Ooh all A* unis, I wasn't confident enough to go for that haha
Which durham college is it you've gone for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Ooh all A* unis, I wasn't confident enough to go for that haha
Which durham college is it you've gone for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

St Hild and St Bede. I did my A levels last year so I'm on a gap year at the moment, one of my mates goes to that college so that's the main reason I applied there
Is there much difference in the economics courses at nottingham and birmingham? In terms of career prospects and respectability?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm having a really tough time deciding which to firm out of KCL and Bristol. I went to the Bristol open day yesterday and really liked it but not as much as I like London. The only thing is that I like the Bristol course a bit more because it's pure economics and I feel Bristol might be slightly better in terms of employment prospects/ getting into a good postgraduate course. Does anyone know if this is true? I want to go to London but if Bristol is significantly better I would be willing to compromise...
Original post by spyrogyra
Is there much difference in the economics courses at nottingham and birmingham? In terms of career prospects and respectability?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nottingham is far superior in the eyes of potential employers :smile:
Original post by islander97
I'm having a really tough time deciding which to firm out of KCL and Bristol. I went to the Bristol open day yesterday and really liked it but not as much as I like London. The only thing is that I like the Bristol course a bit more because it's pure economics and I feel Bristol might be slightly better in terms of employment prospects/ getting into a good postgraduate course. Does anyone know if this is true? I want to go to London but if Bristol is significantly better I would be willing to compromise...

had the same problem except with queen mary's. then realised that bristol is way better than those london unis, i'd love to go to london but unless you go to UCL or LSE then for economics bristol is better, especially if you do a level math cos it's a Bsc degree :redface:
Anyone going to the bristol open day on the 11th of March?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending