The Student Room Group

Three young Muslims gunned down in North Carolina family home

'The Independent'
A family of three young Muslims have been shot dead in their home in a quiet neighbourhood of North Carolina in the US.

Police have named the victims as 23-year-old Deah Shaddy Barakat, his wife Yusor Mohammad, 21, and her sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19.

Officers were called to reports of gunshots at 5.11pm at an apartment block largely housing academics and young professionals on Summerwalk Circle in Chapel Hill.

The victims were found shot dead at the scene, while some residents described not even being aware there was an incident until police arrived.

A 46-year-old man, named by police as Craig Stephen Hicks, has been arrested on suspicion of three counts of first-degree murder.

The shooting has been met with an outpouring of anger on social media, where people posting new pictures of the victims studying and playing basketball claimed they had been “murdered execution style”.

Rest of article can be found here.

Very sad news obviously. Interesting to see people comparing this to the Charlie Hebdo shootings though. What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

No comparison with Charlie Hebdo, that was an attack on freedom of speech, this is just human-on-human murder.
Nasty. Hopefully the perp will get the appropriate sentence.
I bet some right wingers will be largely unsympathetic though. You can imagine how Fox News might spin it. And if Obama dares to condemn it, you just know the righties will find some fault regardless.
Reply 3
Saddening.

I apologize on behalf of all white people.
Original post by Baby Milo
Were you this outraged over Lee Rigby or those killed in France? I doubt it. Once again the politically correct of this country have outdone themselves with mock outrage. You choose to be outraged or offended because it suits your agenda. It is a fact that when the Muslim community do not speak out against atrocities caused by extremist Muslims in the name of Islam that there will be reactionaries who will do the same back. Only a minority of Muslims speak out. They're the brave ones I respect. The rest I couldn't care less about. Sorry, but that's just how it is. Also, ridiculous how people on a forum suddenly feel sorry for strangers they've never met. Spare me the false tears.

Lol, what's my agenda?

It's actually ironic, the male victim in this shooting (yes the Muslim one) was recently quoted on twitter for condemning Muslim extremism) The more you know :biggrin:
Reply 5
7 posts in, and just look at the disparity in reaction between this event vs. any event involving the murder of people by rogue extremists unaffiliated with terrorist groups.

The media has drummed up so much hatred of Islam that it has become ingrained in the psyche of people. 3 young persons have been murdered for their religious beliefs. Isn't freedom of expression as vital a human right as freedom of speech? Or are people being disgustingly hypocritical because the victims here are 'terrible/terrifying/clearly extremist muslims'?

This is worse than the Lee Rigby murder. Rather than one person being murdered for being representative of an entity, three people have lost their lives here.

If anyone's bothered to find out more about the victims:

23-year-old Deah Shaddy Barakat, his wife Yusor Mohammad, 21, and her sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19.

Deah's last FB post:

(Also worth pointing out that only ONE newspaper has been reporting this. No US papers appear to have touched it so far. Only the independent.)
Were you this outraged over Lee Rigby or those killed in France? I doubt it. Once again the politically correct of this country have outdone themselves with mock outrage. You choose to be outraged or offended because it suits your agenda. It is a fact that when the Muslim community do not speak out against atrocities caused by extremist Muslims in the name of Islam that there will be reactionaries who will do the same back. Only a minority of Muslims speak out. They're the brave ones I respect. The rest I couldn't care less about. Sorry, but that's just how it is. Also, ridiculous how people on a forum suddenly feel sorry for strangers they've never met. Spare me the false tears.

LOL. Asks a Muslim to feel outraged over Lee Rigby or the French whilst not feeling outraged over the death of three Muslim.

LOL at last part too. Surely Lee Rigby and the french are pretty much strangers to Muslims too. Yet you ask them to feel something for them.
Reply 7
Actually majority of muslims of all backgrounds were outraged at the killings in France and Lee Rigby's murder. Also all mosques speak out against extremism and encourage people to come forward and report individuals that are involved in terrorist activities.

What false tears? It's called caring for humanity. Just because you have a cold heart doesn't mean the rest of the world does.
Couldn't care less. When westerners are being slaughtered on our own streets then this sort of thing is bound to happen. An action will have a reaction. The Muslim community only have themselves to blame for not speaking out more loudly and strongly against the extremists that kill in the name of Islam. After seeing what the likes of ISIS have done, the likes of Al Qaeda and extremists in our own countries, I am pretty much indifferent and apathetic to it all.

Let me enlighten you with a gif.

I'm sure you'll be able to find ones for against Al Qaeda too.:fyi:
(edited 9 years ago)
Um, I think waiting for some further information might be a good idea, this may have nothing whatsoever to do with the religion of any party. The only counter evidence is that the alleged gunman is said to be an atheist. But that still doesn't mean that there is a religious or cultural motivation.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
No comparison with Charlie Hebdo, that was an attack on freedom of speech, this is just human-on-human murder.

I think the comparison comes from the fact that many Muslims choose to dress in a certain way which they feel is in line with their religion. And this way of dresses is an expression of their opinions and views, namely the Islamic narrative. So, if this attack was motivated by hatred of Muslims or Islam, it was done (most likely) because they openly expressed their beliefs.

So, like the Charlie Hebdo artists expressed their opinions and beliefs through their art, one could argue that Muslims express their allegiance/alliance to their Islamic beliefs through the way they dress. In that sense, both could be argued to be matter of getting killed for expressing their beliefs.

If someone has a problem with Islam, or even with Muslims as individuals, by all means they can criticise them, but in no way is it justifiable to kill people for expressing their beliefs.

That said, I don't know what the motivation for this killing is and so am not going to say that this was or wasn't the motivation behind the attack.
Still not enough. There are far less rallies condemning such than there are promoting it. I'm not even going to entertain a debate with you as the bias you hold is obvious. You're a member of the Islamic and Pakistani society. You're of course going to defend your God. I'm out.

Good riddance :u:
who is Muslim and why is he important
Stuff like this just gets me really worried, i'm half asian half english and Christian and just worried some day somebody may attack me because they'll confuse me for a muslim because i have quite tan skin.

Some people say i don't look asian and look latino or something but i'm still worried.

Actually a lot of muslims condemn the Charlie Hebdo shooting, although what CH did what wrong, muslims around the world are against religious extremists, but you probably watch fox news or something, and believe in whatever bs they want to put in your mind.
not enough details to make a judgment

but obviously and without qualification the killing of these is simply wrong.
spoiler alert: The medias gonna say that the guy is mentally ill rather than a terrorist
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/chapel-hill-shooting-three-young-muslims-gunned-down-in-north-carolina-at-their-family-home-10037734.html

A 46-year-old man, named by police as Craig Stephen Hicks, has been arrested on suspicion of three counts of first-degree murder.

Hicks described himself as an atheist on Facebook and posted regular images and text condemning all religions. Police said he handed himself in last night.

The shooting has been met with an outpouring of anger on social media, where people posting new pictures of the victims studying and playing basketball claimed they had been “murdered execution style”.

Original post by Reluire
Interesting to see people comparing this to the Charlie Hebdo shootings though. What do you guys think?

It's bollox
Original post by _hayan10
spoiler alert: The medias gonna say that the guy is mentally ill rather than a terrorist

and if that's the case then isn't it important?

Quick Reply