The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Well I am because I'll use it as an account for all my student loans and grants etc to go into

Idk if you'll get that stuff as an eu applicant

Yeah I get the tuition fee loan from the government and a bursary from the uni. Isn't it ok if you just have a card for your parent's account so that you can access their money too or do you have to have your own?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Yeah I get the tuition fee loan from the government and a bursary from the uni. Isn't it ok if you just have a card for your parent's account so that you can access their money too or do you have to have your own?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it has to be in your own name tbh

But you can still use your parents card round and about
Hello,
I'm a year 13 student but I recently dropped out of the college i was attending due to personal reasons i don't want to specify. I'm aware that the deadline for exam entries is this month, but I really need to enter myself for the exams in June 2015. I'm doing OCR biology and chemistry and Edexcel maths. I also need to retake some units from my AS's aswell.
Could anybody please tell me where I can apply to sit these exams for this June for cheap prices? I live in west London and I don't mind travelling far if it's cheap. I know I'm late already, but I really really need to sit these exams in June. I'm really desperate and stressing our here. I would really appreciate anybody who helps me in pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you forever!!
Original post by Blackorgreen
Hello,
I'm a year 13 student but I recently dropped out of the college i was attending due to personal reasons i don't want to specify. I'm aware that the deadline for exam entries is this month, but I really need to enter myself for the exams in June 2015. I'm doing OCR biology and chemistry and Edexcel maths. I also need to retake some units from my AS's aswell.
Could anybody please tell me where I can apply to sit these exams for this June for cheap prices? I live in west London and I don't mind travelling far if it's cheap. I know I'm late already, but I really really need to sit these exams in June. I'm really desperate and stressing our here. I would really appreciate anybody who helps me in pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you forever!!

Have a look at the 'resitting A2 modules' thread, I think it's in the gap years section- I'll add the link in a second if I can find it. There are lots of people there who've looked for centres around the country, I'm sure there'll be one near you if you're in London! Or could you ask to still be entered at your old college even if you don't attend the lessons? It depends what your reasons were for leaving I suppose, but usually somewhere you've attended will be a lot cheaper than somewhere they don't know you.

Edit: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2804561

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I think it has to be in your own name tbh

But you can still use your parents card round and about

Ok thanks! Do you know whether we can open one in autumn or do you do it beforehand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Ok thanks! Do you know whether we can open one in autumn or do you do it beforehand?

Posted from TSR Mobile

do it beforehand, just so that you can put it on your application for a student loan, which you do in June, I think.

It'd be better to do it beforehand anyway; there's no harm in doing that.
Original post by Guills on wheels
do it beforehand, just so that you can put it on your application for a student loan, which you do in June, I think.

It'd be better to do it beforehand anyway; there's no harm in doing that.

I know, I just live abroad :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
I know, I just live abroad :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you an EU Student? If you are, then I think you can apply for student finance normally, into your foreign account, and then transfer the money across once you arrive in the UK.

If you're not an EU student then contact the university and see what possibilities there are of securing loans in your home country.

Hope this helps...

If not, have a quick look on the uni websites; I found this on soas: http://www.soas.ac.uk/registry/funding/
Are you an EU Student? If you are, then I think you can apply for student finance normally, into your foreign account, and then transfer the money across once you arrive in the UK.

If you're not an EU student then contact the university and see what possibilities there are of securing loans in your home country.

Hope this helps...

If not, have a quick look on the uni websites; I found this on soas: http://www.soas.ac.uk/registry/funding/

Yeah I am :smile: thanks for your help! Do you know by any chance whether I can use my parent's account?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Yeah I am :smile: thanks for your help! Do you know by any chance whether I can use my parent's account?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not, unless you can get that sort of power of attorney from their bank. It might be bank specific but I'd check to make sure.

It might be best not to use your parents account anyway just in case you lose the card or something happens and they lose something as well, but ultimately it's up to you :smile:
Probably not, unless you can get that sort of power of attorney from their bank. It might be bank specific but I'd check to make sure.

It might be best not to use your parents account anyway just in case you lose the card or something happens and they lose something as well, but ultimately it's up to you :smile:

I see, I'd rather get my own account too but my parents are kind of certain I'll be using there's - I guess I'll have to talk to them, maybe they just don't know! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
I see, I'd rather get my own account too but my parents are kind of certain I'll be using there's - I guess I'll have to talk to them, maybe they just don't know! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is definitely definitely definitely worth trying to get your own.
Have you already started looking for uni accommodation i.e halls/houses?
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Have you already started looking for uni accommodation i.e halls/houses?

yeah... for the one uni I want to go to :')
Original post by furryface12
Have a look at the 'resitting A2 modules' thread, I think it's in the gap years section- I'll add the link in a second if I can find it. There are lots of people there who've looked for centres around the country, I'm sure there'll be one near you if you're in London! Or could you ask to still be entered at your old college even if you don't attend the lessons? It depends what your reasons were for leaving I suppose, but usually somewhere you've attended will be a lot cheaper than somewhere they don't know you.

Edit: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2804561

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would my chances be for bath politics with economics if I applied with below;
Applied Business Studies (A-Level), Grade A(achieved),

ifs Level 3 Diploma in Financial Studies (A-LevelEquivalent), Grade B(achieved),
Chemistry (A-Level predicted, AS obtained), Grade Aobtained, Grade A predicted,
Psychology (A-Level predicted, AS obtained), Grade Aobtained, Grade A predicted,
Sociology (A2 predicted(AS not taken due to one year a level)), Grade A predicted,
Economics (A2 predicted(AS not taken due to one year a level), Grade A predicted,
Photography (AS), Grade D (achieved).

Total = AAAAABd

This would be after 3 years of study, however I would nothave spent more than 2 years studying an A-Level and no more than a yearstudying an AS-Level.
Original post by jsheehan08
What would my chances be for bath politics with economics if I applied with below;
Applied Business Studies (A-Level), Grade A(achieved),

ifs Level 3 Diploma in Financial Studies (A-LevelEquivalent), Grade B(achieved),
Chemistry (A-Level predicted, AS obtained), Grade Aobtained, Grade A predicted,
Psychology (A-Level predicted, AS obtained), Grade Aobtained, Grade A predicted,
Sociology (A2 predicted(AS not taken due to one year a level)), Grade A predicted,
Economics (A2 predicted(AS not taken due to one year a level), Grade A predicted,
Photography (AS), Grade D (achieved).

Total = AAAAABd

This would be after 3 years of study, however I would nothave spent more than 2 years studying an A-Level and no more than a yearstudying an AS-Level.

Grades wise should be fine
Grades wise should be fine

do you not think it will matter that I've spent 3 years at A-Level?
I think I'm getting some mild form of RSI. I've always had a weaker right hand wrist and it easily sprains but recently I've had to have it in a support because it hurts to write. I got it about a month ago and then it went away but its coming back again. :frown:
Really not ideal as we approach exam season.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Caz_
I think I'm getting some mild form of RSI. I've always had a weaker right hand wrist and it easily sprains but recently I've had to have it in a support because it hurts to write. I got it about a month ago and then it went away but its coming back again. :frown:
Really not ideal as we approach exam season.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually watched a video about RSI today. I think it was by TechQuickie on YouTube. Might be worth checking out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest