The Student Room Group

Nicola Sturgeon says the SNP will vote on English laws

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by 1tartanarmy
And whats happening.....job losses galore....exactly what the pro union parties said wouldnt happen as we could "pool and share resources"....an independent scotland would have built up an oil fund that would be used in times such as these.

But nothing...people lose jobs and the union will be the death of the city of aberdeen in the future...ironic that seeing as they voted no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't lost my job though. Which I would had the yes people won :frown:
Original post by Gordon1985
What?

The SNP want the maximum possible powers transferred. But while decisions in Westminster affect Scotland, the SNP absolutely should vote on them.

Are you sure you know what hypocrisy means?

The hypocrisy is the SNP wanting to not be part of the United Kingdom whilst desiring to vote on England's legislative matters. They can't have it both ways.
Original post by HigherMinion
The hypocrisy is the SNP wanting to not be part of the United Kingdom whilst desiring to vote on England's legislative matters. They can't have it both ways.

The SNP have no desire to vote on 'English only' issues. But where a notionally 'English issue' has a knock-on effect on Scotland, the SNP will vote on it. That's perfectly logical and reasonable.
The SNP have no desire to vote on 'English only' issues. But where a notionally 'English issue' has a knock-on effect on Scotland, the SNP will vote on it. That's perfectly logical and reasonable.

The snp will continue to promot wedge politics.

If the Russian people vote on nuking England- do we have the right to participate in that vote because it has a knock-on effect to England? That's a ridiculously weak argument, Gordon.
Original post by MatureStudent36
The snp will continue to promot wedge politics.

Are you saying the SNP should abstain from votes in WM which could have a significant, if indirect, effect in Scotland?
Original post by HigherMinion
If the Russian people vote on nuking England- do we have the right to participate in that vote because it has a knock-on effect to England? That's a ridiculously weak argument, Gordon.

See, accusing me of a weak argument then coming out with that tripe, that's hypocrisy.

Exactly why do you think the SNP should abstain on votes on changing funding to education or health which will affect education and health spending in Scotland? Without enhanced fiscal devolution (which the SNP favour), things like these are necessary.
Are you saying the SNP should abstain from votes in WM which could have a significant, if indirect, effect in Scotland?

Not at all. Just not devolved issues.

You know , like the nhs.

Do we know why nhs Scotland hasn't had the same funding increase as nhs England & wales yet?

Do we know why the much publicised crisis in the nhs South of the border was duplicated in scotland even though it's been do evolved for 10 years?

Do we know why sturgeon told porkie's about the NHS when she was in charge of it?
Not at all. Just not devolved issues.

You know , like the nhs.

Do we know why nhs Scotland hasn't had the same funding increase as nhs England & wales yet?

Do we know why the much publicised crisis in the nhs South of the border was duplicated in scotland even though it's been do evolved for 10 years?

Do we know why sturgeon told porkie's about the NHS when she was in charge of it?

Honestly, just google the Barnnet Formula. It'll make this easier.
Honestly, just google the Barnnet Formula. It'll make this easier.

I know what it is.

I'm confused as to how funding for nhs Scotland has fallen below nhs England when I know the barnet formuls accounts for all that.
See, accusing me of a weak argument then coming out with that tripe, that's hypocrisy.

Exactly why do you think the SNP should abstain on votes on changing funding to education or health which will affect education and health spending in Scotland? Without enhanced fiscal devolution (which the SNP favour), things like these are necessary.

Well because they're against the reverse. That is, English MPs voting on Scottish issues that would have a knock-on effect in England (see the Scottish parliament). It's blatant hypocrisy for them to vote on English laws for that reason when they're against the English MPs doing the same.
I know what it is.

I'm confused as to how funding for nhs Scotland has fallen below nhs England when I know the barnet formuls accounts for all that.

Because Barnett doesn't ring-fence funds, it provides a block grant. It's up to the Scottish government to decide how to allocate those funds.
Original post by limetang
Well because they're against the reverse. That is, English MPs voting on Scottish issues that would have a knock-on effect in England (see the Scottish parliament). It's blatant hypocrisy for them to vote on English laws for that reason when they're against the English MPs doing the same.

But votes in the Scottish Parliament do not have a knock-on effect on English funding, do they?
Because Barnett doesn't ring-fence funds, it provides a block grant. It's up to the Scottish government to decide how to allocate those funds.

So the SG has decided not to invest as much money in the nhs?

We're starting to see the impact of policies like the council tax freeze now aren't we.
So the SG has decided not to invest as much money in the nhs?

We're starting to see the impact of policies like the council tax freeze now aren't we.

I'll respond to this new point when I have time.

I just wondered if your plan was to continually change the subject until you're right about something. Has to happen eventually.
I'll respond to this new point when I have time.

I just wondered if your plan was to continually change the subject until you're right about something. Has to happen eventually.

No change in plan. Just wondering why the snp have done a huge U turn and said they'll start voting in devolved issues.....amazingly, the majority of their rather vocal moaning seems to be about devolved issues.
Reply 56
Why is the issue here the SNP. Surely following your logic you shouldn't want any Scottish MPs, regardless of party, voting on issues which only affect England.
Original post by shoogle
Why is the issue here the SNP. Surely following your logic you shouldn't want any Scottish MPs, regardless of party, voting on issues which only affect England.

Well, no, but the SNP historically kept out, now Salmond's gone Sturgeon makes his push for independence look tame, she's practically trying to force devolution now by holding England to ransom.

As a slight aside, it's as if she doesn't want to be taken seriously, not only does she want rid of trident, I believe entirely, not just out of Scotland, but now she also wants a complete end of Austerity. Who does the think the SNP is, Syriza?
But votes in the Scottish Parliament do not have a knock-on effect on English funding, do they?

Well no more so than votes on specific English laws would have on Scottish Funding surely?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scotland want to continue voting on English-only matters because they are predominantly more progressive than we are. This has nothing to do with knock-on effects- this is Labour wanting to maintain their foothold on British politics (which they are failing).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending