The Student Room Group

Why should it be acceptable for women to look like this?

Scroll to see replies

There is freedom of expression in this country.

Nothing wrong with it
Original post by qwertyking
Whether it's "acceptable" is a stupid question. To be fair though, there are a lot more women showing off their bodies in the media and on social media sites.

I think so too, but it was OP who posed the question, not me.
In terms of the individual, I believe that they obviously have the right to live their life however they want, to eat as much or as little as they want, to be as fat or thin as they want, and without suffering abuse for those decisions.

However, on a wider scale, the obesity problem in the UK (and much of "the west") is a huge problem, and is really quite scary and makes me quite sad. It's a sign of the pure greed, indulgence and laziness of our societies. The systemic nature of the problem shows an incredible lack of education and a lack of respect for our own health.
Because people can look how they want. She's not attractive though. That is the downside to being fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fat 'people' are repulsive. No one wants a landwhale for a gf.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Bet she describes herself on POF as 'bubbly'.

Hahahahahahahahaahahahahahah classic. Wilfred strikes again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutellme
I was actually saying it in jest... :K:

That really wasn't how it came across.
Original post by slg60
You still don't understand and I have no patience so forget I even said it.

You just aren't a very good person are you.

Nope, I'm honest and don't mince words. People just don't like hearing the hard truth.
I am a sports student, and I'm very interested in health, nutrition and keeping fit. While I do not think women (or men) should be made to feel bad about their size, weight and body image, or that overweight people should be considered 'ugly' or any less of a person than others, the growing acceptance of being overweight does worry me.

My concern is that if being overweight becomes more acceptable, then people who are overweight will have less incentive to lose weight and in turn, become healthier. The result: more people with more health problems linked to obesity having less motivation to lose weight.
freedom of expression

and acceptance of others

makes it possible
Original post by ParadiseFound
How does she even get out of bed?
I wonder how many toilet seats she's broken.
How do her legs even support her frame? The human anatomy is a amazing thing..
I bet if she went to China you'd have pedestrians shouting godzilla at her.
I wonder how many chicken nuggets you could make out of her.
Imagine if she got chased by hungry dogs.

As attractive as her face is it's not acceptable for someone to do this to themselves.

This "China" you speak of-- is that part of Tokyo?
Original post by Baby Milo
Cant believe people think all overweight and obese people are unhealthy. I'm overweight but have regular health checks done via my private medical insurance and I go to the gym. No problems whatsoever. I have a health condition that's genetic and I was born with so that's the only cost to the NHS there. As for the costs to the NHS, what about all the skinny students who act like pillocks and end up in A&E on the weekends? They cost the NHS billions each year. On top of that, most of the lazy and useless people who claim benefits or are getting their offspring popped out on demand are skinny, drug or alcohol abusing messes.

There is not a problem with obesity in the UK. There is a problem with inactivity and general laziness. There are plenty of skinny and regular weight people who live on a diet of microwaved rubbish and diet soda full of chemicals killing off their brain cells and having adverse effects on their bodies. They're unfit but think they're perfectly fine because they're not overweight or obese. They're not fine at all. They're just as lazy and a risk to the NHS as the overweight and obese people who don't get off their arses either.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/physical-inactivity-kills-twice-as-many-as-obesity-new-study-claims-9978217.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30812439

All people regardless of weight should be more active. Some of the laziest and most inactive people I've ever met have been skinny and have the lungs of smokers. Oh, and its hardly a surprise westerners are more inactive because they're too busy playing bloody video games rather than going out and enjoying the fresh air. Country has gone backwards.

Actually drunken yobs cost 3bn per year. That's a fraction of what obesity costs.
It's a tricky one. Ultimately it's her choice, and it's good to redress our expectations of models.

However.

I don't think being that big, whatever gender or orientation you may be, is healthy or desirable. Just because a significant, and increasing proportion of the UK population is obese, doesn't equate to obese models being socially acceptable, or even obese people being accepted in society.

I've seen cases where Kate Upton has been described as 'plus sized'. There's a difference between some curves and obesity. Some men do like "bigger" women.

But equating it to acceptance of anorexic models is the wrong thing to do as well. Different health problems completely.

An obese woman is more ostracised in society, than a man of the same weight would be. That's perverse, and needs fixing. An anorexic girl sadly has, and is all to often, been deemed as an attention seeker...despite so much pressure in our society to conform to some sort of unrealistic ideal. An anorexic boy also...and yes, such cases are increasing.

Yes, we shouldn't fat shame, or skinny shame for that matter in society, but that is not to say that being super-obese or super-skinny is ideal.
Original post by CheesusCrust
"Why are models so skinny and anorexic? It's sending the wrong message to children!!! It's unhealthy!!"

Yeah, you go girl! Tell 'em!

"Why are morbidly obese models being applauded? It's sending the wrong message to children. It's unhealthy!"

WHO GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO JUDGE HOW THIS MODEL LOOKS?! SHE IS FAT AND SHE'S FINE WITH IT, AND PROMOTING IT IS GOOD FOR KIDS! THERE IS NOTHING WRONG BEING 200LBS OVERWEIGHT, IT'S PERFECTLY HEALTHY!! BESIDES YOU CAN'T TELL SOMEONE'S HEALTH BY LOOKING AT THEM!!!

Possibly the best thing I'll see all year.
Original post by MaseratiJay
As I said before SHE TRAINS 4 DAYS A WEEK.

What, how quickly she can eat a sack of doughnuts? :/
Original post by KingStannis
imb4 the feminists start complaining that she can look how she wants etc. All true of course. But the fact is that being obese is simply a bad thing, in every respect. These people cost the NHS a fortune. Our taxes prop up their life style choices. Unlike smokers, we don't tax them for the choices they make which impact others, not least their own children. The VERY least we can do is make them feel bad about themselves so they change. This obviously applies to men too, though the whole "body positive" thing doesn't extend as far as men, who are rightly made to feel disgusting.

Seriously, if you have a problem such as being obese, which is of your own causing, and you can solve this problem, then you have no right to complain that this problem makes you unhappy and that it shouldn't.

Actually they don't cost the NHS a fortune because they die earlier. The most expensive people to look after are those who live to such an age that they become entirely dependent on care and mentally deteriorate.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Actually they don't cost the NHS a fortune because they die earlier. The most expensive people to look after are those who live to such an age that they become entirely dependent on care and mentally deteriorate.

It's still about 15 years of continual heart problems etc that the NHS could really do without.
Original post by jammy4041
It's a tricky one. Ultimately it's her choice, and it's good to redress our expectations of models.

However.

I don't think being that big, whatever gender or orientation you may be, is healthy or desirable. Just because a significant, and increasing proportion of the UK population is obese, doesn't equate to obese models being socially acceptable, or even obese people being accepted in society.

I've seen cases where Kate Upton has been described as 'plus sized'. There's a difference between some curves and obesity. Some men do like "bigger" women.

But equating it to acceptance of anorexic models is the wrong thing to do as well. Different health problems completely.

An obese woman is more ostracised in society, than a man of the same weight would be. That's perverse, and needs fixing. An anorexic girl sadly has, and is all to often, been deemed as an attention seeker...despite so much pressure in our society to conform to some sort of unrealistic ideal. An anorexic boy also...and yes, such cases are increasing.

Yes, we shouldn't fat shame, or skinny shame for that matter in society, but that is not to say that being super-obese or super-skinny is ideal.

But is this really true though? If you take the piss out of a fat girl, every girl she knows will jump at you hissing. You take the piss out of a fat boy, everybody jumps in laughing.
Original post by KingStannis
It's still about 15 years of continual heart problems etc that the NHS could really do without.

Yeah, but then they live longer and end up costing considerably more. If you want to save the NHS money, just make it punishable by death to be over 70 years old.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Yeah, but then they live longer and end up costing considerably more. If you want to save the NHS money, just make it punishable by death to be over 70 years old.

The point is not the cost. The point is the cost actually being encouraged by the fat police. We tax smokers. They do damage to the NHS due to livestyle choices, and we tax them for it. Why is this any different?

Quick Reply

Latest