The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Offer Holders 2015 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone received any offers for History of Art?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by sarabe3
I've got my offer for International Relations!

I've also applied for IR, are you an EU applicant? What were your predicted grades?
Reply 182
Original post by nessa_288
I want to transfer mainly because I miss my home and I believe Edinburgh has more and better facilities than St Andrews would.

I don't want to be biased here nor be influential, but I believe St Andrews is only high in rankings because:

1) It's an old university and the first one built in Scotland
2) A member of the Royal Family attended there. i.e. Prince Williams

The tables don't really give you an idea what it's like academically. I'm currently doing straight second year Chemistry and lemme just say there are a bajillion things I can say about it but I'll point out a few things which I have noticed:

1) They REALLY expect you to learn in a self dependant manner - therefore, explains the brevity of the lecture notes. ( I cannot emphasise this more)

2) When asking for help in a lab sessions, almost all of the demonstrators do NOT know what's going on and when you do ask for help, one demostrator advises you to do one thing and the other advises you to do something else.

3) Marking for lab reports is NOT consistent.

4) Edinburgh's library is TRIPLE the size of the St Andrews Main library - the St Andrews library is usually tense and has less seats for students who want to study there.

Maybe I was just unlucky last semester but it really screwed up my grades and so I want to repeat the year in Edinburgh. I went to see King's Building the other day and it's realllly big and amazing. I think for sciences, Edinburgh would be slightly better because it provides more facilities for the sciences than St Andrews, considering it is a smaller town. Also, since I would be living at home, I won't have to be worrying about rent hehe XD.

the bad thing about Ed is that the main library is always packed and there's nowhere to sit. Also, I think there is very little student support available and they REALLY leave you on your own a little too much. This is probs why it has such a low student satisfaction.
But in terms of ranking, Edinburgh is the 17th university according to the QS and is ranked really high in other international tables. The only reason why it lags behind in domestic ranking is
1) low student satisfaction
2) giving low offers (ABB) to students from poor performing schools to widen participation and also low offers to foreign students to secure funds.
However, St Andrews isn't even in the Russell Group.
Anyone heard for maths and physics??
Original post by arminb
the bad thing about Ed is that the main library is always packed and there's nowhere to sit. Also, I think there is very little student support available and they REALLY leave you on your own a little too much. This is probs why it has such a low student satisfaction.
But in terms of ranking, Edinburgh is the 17th university according to the QS and is ranked really high in other international tables. The only reason why it lags behind in domestic ranking is
1) low student satisfaction
2) giving low offers (ABB) to students from poor performing schools to widen participation and also low offers to foreign students to secure funds.
However, St Andrews isn't even in the Russell Group.

The RG does not even mean anything in reality, plenty of average unis are there while top schools are not. People generally use it just to broadly define a good uni.

To be honest, i don't think it will be much better in Edinburgh than St Andrews. The only thing Edinburgh has over St Andrews is the size of the city which can make it more interesting for some.

St Andrews and Edinburgh are broadly the same for most degree courses and I wouldn't even distinguish between the two really apart from the location.

St Andrews library may be smaller but there are also proportionally much fewer students, it does get packed when it comes exam time but generally for the rest of the time there are plenty of seats available.
Original post by Devontth
Has anyone received any offers for History of Art?

I also applied for History of Art but haven't heard anything yet.
Hey I just received an invitation for a nursing applicant day on 10th of March for edinburgh uni! Anyone else??
Has anyone applied for Sports Management and received an offer???
Original post by kieranrafferty1
Hey, is anyone here going to study maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both maths and physics:smile: just waiting for a reply... Where else have you applied?
Has anyone received an offer for Sports Management?
Original post by annemarieds02
Hey I just received an invitation for a nursing applicant day on 10th of March for edinburgh uni! Anyone else??

Congratulations!! Im still waiting on a response from Edinburgh - when did you apply??
I've got an offer to study Biomedical sciences!
Original post by cora06140
Anyone with their grades already got an offer straight into 2nd year? Is it advisable to go into 2nd year - don't you risk missing out on a lot of things?

I got offered to go straight into second year of biochem but I phoned up and explained I wanted to go into first year and they changed it no problem, so its totally up to you, I want to go into halls which isn't guaranteed if your in second year plus everyone will most likely have made friend groups!
Nice :wink: Just Edinburgh, yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool:smile: Bath, Birmingham, Glasgow, and St Andrews:smile: still waiting to hear from St Andrews though...
Anyone applied for art and got an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice :smile: Is it a joint degree or two different degrees?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Joint degree. But the subjects are so close it might as well be one :P yours is just maths right?
Original post by indiearty
Anyone applied for art and got an offer?

I've got one for Architecture! That's the closest arty offer I've seen so far
Two offers at ABB Scottish Highers! Still can't believe I got them!
Original post by malakai
Two offers at ABB Scottish Highers! Still can't believe I got them!

Advanced Highers or Highers?

That's so good though, congrats!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Advanced Highers or Highers?

That's so good though, congrats!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: Just normal Highers, they must have liked me haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending