The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Law info

hello,

I'm an international student applying from the USA and I recently received an offer from Durham to study Law. I am also waiting on an offer from an UoL and am holding an offer from an ivy league in the US; thus, I need a lot of information about Durham from current students so I can make a wise decision regarding my future education.

so here it goes:

1) how is the style of teaching at Durham? lots of tutorials? lectures?
2) what is the size of the lectures/ tutorials? with what frequency do they occur?
3) who teaches the lectures/tutorials, professors or grad students?
4) how much time is asked of you for self-studying? is there any available assistance with self-study from professors or grad students?

5) do Magic Circle firms visit Durham often?
6) what is the professional destination of most upper 2:1 and 1:1 degrees? MC, SC, or just local firms?
7) what is the academic destination of most upper 2:1 and 1:1? Oxford, Harvard, or less prestigious universities?
8) how difficult is it to get a 1:1 or an upper 2:1?

8) how does the collegiate system aid in professional network?
9) is there a real sense community and university-town to the city?
10) are there any present cultural movements(theatre, classical music, etc) nearby the city?

Thank you in advance if you are able to answer most of these question. I
Original post by Gabrielxucram
hello,

I'm an international student applying from the USA and I recently received an offer from Durham to study Law. I am also waiting on an offer from an UoL and am holding an offer from an ivy league in the US; thus, I need a lot of information about Durham from current students so I can make a wise decision regarding my future education.

so here it goes:

2) what is the size of the lectures/ tutorials? with what frequency do they occur?
4) how much time is asked of you for self-studying? is there any available assistance with self-study from professors or grad students?

6) what is the professional destination of most upper 2:1 and 1:1 degrees? MC, SC, or just local firms?
7) what is the academic destination of most upper 2:1 and 1:1? Oxford, Harvard, or less prestigious universities?

10) are there any present cultural movements(theatre, classical music, etc) nearby the city?

Thank you in advance if you are able to answer most of these question. I

First year is about 6 hours a week lectures (one lecture per module). Seminars come in cycles, so every three weeks or so you will have a seminar cycle with one seminar per module. So generally, you have two seminars per module per term.

Lectures are the whole year group. Seminars are about 8 - 10 people.

Lecturers are always professors or member of staff. PHD students take some seminars, but so do staff. Depends what group you sign up for.

I am not 100% certain on the time asked, but it is quite a bit considering the lack of contact hours. All staff have two hours office time per week which you can go to speak to them about any issues you are having. Most reply to emails really quickly too.

These would all require a considerable amount of research to answer. As for whether or not Magic Circle firms visit, yes. There are a lot of opportunities to meet associates and partners from a range of firms throughout the year.

Helps you build up a set of contacts outside of your academic department, and most colleges assign you an academic tutor and parents in college who normally have studied law and are older than you. Also, colleges are a great way to settle into university life.

Yes, it is very much a university city. There is a sense of community among each of the colleges, particularly smaller colleges.

I have no idea.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by GeneralStudent95
First year is about 6 hours a week lectures (one lecture per module). Seminars come in cycles, so every three weeks or so you will have a seminar cycle with one seminar per module. So generally, you have two seminars per module per term.

Lectures are the whole year group. Seminars are about 8 - 10 people.

Lecturers are always professors or member of staff. PHD students take some seminars, but so do staff. Depends what group you sign up for.

I am not 100% certain on the time asked, but it is quite a bit considering the lack of contact hours. All staff have two hours office time per week which you can go to speak to them about any issues you are having. Most reply to emails really quickly too.

These would all require a considerable amount of research to answer. As for whether or not Magic Circle firms visit, yes. There are a lot of opportunities to meet associates and partners from a range of firms throughout the year.

Helps you build up a set of contacts outside of your academic department, and most colleges assign you an academic tutor and parents in college who normally have studied law and are older than you. Also, colleges are a great way to settle into university life.

Yes, it is very much a university city. There is a sense of community among each of the colleges, particularly smaller colleges.

I have no idea.

thank you so much for the answer. What college are you in? Are you happy? Is the load work crazy?
Original post by Gabrielxucram
thank you so much for the answer. What college are you in? Are you happy? Is the load work crazy?

Chad's - yes I love it. The workload is fine. It is challenging, but not to the extent that your whole life is spent doing work. There is lots of time for social activities, legal experience etc.

Quick Reply

Latest