The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by jakemac
Do they do so much winning that it could be considered glory-huntery to start following them? Not that I've decided to follow the Packers until I die and buy a season ticket and a cheese hat thing or anything, just wondering.

Happy 500th post by the way...

They are a small market team but they are really good. You're talking perennial playoff contenders, they will win another Superbowl if they can find a window where they actually have a good defense and A Rod. Some people might judge you. I won't, I can't see anyone on here doing so, we're pretty nice to all the Pats fans and they could be labelled with the same glory hunter tag.
Original post by Malevolent
Oh no I wasn't like criticizing you haha I actually found that very interesting read. I just thought Id be like the Bama fans who love shouting roll tide :tongue:

Fair enough, ahaha...

This thread needs more Phyliss from Mulga, AL.

https://www.facebook.com/phyllisofmulga?fref=ts
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12112515
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/alabama-phyllis-from-mulga-finebaum-call-cowherd
Original post by jakemac
Do they do so much winning that it could be considered glory-huntery to start following them? Not that I've decided to follow the Packers until I die and buy a season ticket and a cheese hat thing or anything, just wondering.

Happy 500th post by the way...

Did you see some of the college games? They are always good.

Here's a complete game of Super Bowl I. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UckVgXhQKQo

I think I saw this one a while back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYC6OIZ_BAg. Even if you're not a Packers fan, it's about one of the toughest QBs to ever suit up.

Even if you don't watch games, watch documentaries and stuff. ESPN's 30 for 30 series is excellent. This one was about Randy Moss. Amazing documentary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGj7sXDu2JA

One of my American friends said to me that it's impossible for a British person to bandwagon a team. The thing is, it doesn't really matter how you become a fan, as long as you stay being a fan of said team, and don't move along when the times become hard. I fully appreciate, as a Broncos fan, that things will get tough in the not-too-distant future. And I will still bleed orange and blue.

So after our sunday training, our team goes down to Varsity and has a meal, and watches the 6.00pm game. Well, it after our first training, and our sunday night game after practises had started, so we had a Vikings fan, a Lions fan and a Chicago Bears fan. One of our DBs, didn't have a team. He's friends with the Vikings fan, and well, we sort of pushed him into becoming a Packers fan.

To be fair, he latched on to the team, and took it pretty well.

Then, he went to wembley this season, packers gear and all, and well...met Terrell Davis. :frown:

But a fan needs a routine and gear. When you get more involved, do buy a jersey.

Jersey talk:

Spoiler

Original post by Wattsy
I say this every year but I feel like I need a team to follow at college level so I actually watch some. The craziest team I watched last year were Arkansas State Red Wolves and my mate is currently assistant coaching the North Carolina Tar Heels women's hockey team so I might try and track both of those.

Check out some of the fight songs. If you love 'Rocky Top', you might be a Tennessee fan :tongue:

A lot of people choose Oregon for their uniforms. Good football team with the best uniforms in college football. Some of the traditions in college football are really cool, especially FSU. My favorite team is the ISU bengals, of the FCS. But in FBS, I just want Boise State to do well because one of my friends, Elliot Hoyte, plays for them, as a DT. I personally know a few of the ISU players, because a few o-linemen are on our floor.

So ISU @ Boise State will be a bit of divided loyalty. But then again, there's quite a lot of BSU fans at ISU.

Nick Saban of Alabama, is one heck of a coach, and if nothing else, I can't help but have respect for the program Alabama have.

A lot fans have their NFL team, and then have their college team from the same state. So, as a Jags fan you would have a fair few options. You could support the Jacksonville Dolphins of the FCS....but Miami, Florida State, Florida....can't go wrong with them, to be honest.
(edited 9 years ago)
There's no point caring about being called a glory seeker. You yourself know whether you are or not, follow their games and immerse yourself in the history.
There's no point caring about being called a glory seeker. You yourself know whether you are or not, follow their games and immerse yourself in the history.

Yep. Learn as much as you can...dive deep into the culture and history of your club. To me...you're not a glory hunter or bandwagon-er if you stick with your team good times and bad.

Heck look at the 30-40 year old 49er fans. There's a lot in the UK, to be honest. They will say that they have supported the team since Montana. Great. But they became fans during a period of riches! But, they have stuck with the team good times and bad, and have a period of relative success after a long period in the duldrums.

The NFL stands for 'Not For Long'...and that's what I like about the league. The way free agency, salary caps and the draft is structured, means teams rarely become dominant. The great dynasties of the Cowboys, 49ers and the Steelers did not have to deal with salary cap. (Cowboys yes...but by then, they had the core of their team signed).

The Patriots are the exception, because they are so well run as a franchise.

Just as an interesting side note, I used this...http://www.playbuzz.com/nitsanpeled10/which-nfl-team-should-you-actually-be-rooting-for....

and well...I got the Broncos. Which is good, considering that they are my team and all...
Original post by jammy4041
Yep. Learn as much as you can...dive deep into the culture and history of your club. To me...you're not a glory hunter or bandwagon-er if you stick with your team good times and bad.

Heck look at the 30-40 year old 49er fans. There's a lot in the UK, to be honest. They will say that they have supported the team since Montana. Great. But they became fans during a period of riches! But, they have stuck with the team good times and bad, and have a period of relative success after a long period in the duldrums.

The NFL stands for 'Not For Long'...and that's what I like about the league. The way free agency, salary caps and the draft is structured, means teams rarely become dominant. The great dynasties of the Cowboys, 49ers and the Steelers did not have to deal with salary cap. (Cowboys yes...but by then, they had the core of their team signed).

The Patriots are the exception, because they are so well run as a franchise.

Just as an interesting side note, I used this...http://www.playbuzz.com/nitsanpeled10/which-nfl-team-should-you-actually-be-rooting-for....

and well...I got the Broncos. Which is good, considering that they are my team and all...

Didn't realize there was many 49er fans in the UK, I've seen a lot of Dolphins, Pats, Broncos and Giants fans. That's what I love about the NFL and american leagues in general. No team roosts at the top forever.

Patriots wont last forever. Its a very tough job to carry your success over for a long period of time.
Didn't realize there was many 49er fans in the UK, I've seen a lot of Dolphins, Pats, Broncos and Giants fans. That's what I love about the NFL and american leagues in general. No team roosts at the top forever.

Patriots wont last forever. Its a very tough job to carry your success over for a long period of time.

Of course. It's just surprising how long they have lasted, and that is testament to Tom Brady, Bill Bilichick, Mr. Kraft and the organization.
Reply 507

Here's a complete game of Super Bowl I. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UckVgXhQKQo

I think I saw this one a while back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYC6OIZ_BAg. Even if you're not a Packers fan, it's about one of the toughest QBs to ever suit up.

Even if you don't watch games, watch documentaries and stuff. ESPN's 30 for 30 series is excellent. This one was about Randy Moss. Amazing documentary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGj7sXDu2JA

One of my American friends said to me that it's impossible for a British person to bandwagon a team. The thing is, it doesn't really matter how you become a fan, as long as you stay being a fan of said team, and don't move along when the times become hard. I fully appreciate, as a Broncos fan, that things will get tough in the not-too-distant future. And I will still bleed orange and blue.

So after our sunday training, our team goes down to Varsity and has a meal, and watches the 6.00pm game. Well, it after our first training, and our sunday night game after practises had started, so we had a Vikings fan, a Lions fan and a Chicago Bears fan. One of our DBs, didn't have a team. He's friends with the Vikings fan, and well, we sort of pushed him into becoming a Packers fan.

To be fair, he latched on to the team, and took it pretty well.

Then, he went to wembley this season, packers gear and all, and well...met Terrell Davis. :frown:

But a fan needs a routine and gear. When you get more involved, do buy a jersey.

Jersey talk:

Spoiler

Check out some of the fight songs. If you love 'Rocky Top', you might be a Tennessee fan :tongue:

A lot of people choose Oregon for their uniforms. Good football team with the best uniforms in college football. Some of the traditions in college football are really cool, especially FSU. My favorite team is the ISU bengals, of the FCS. But in FBS, I just want Boise State to do well because one of my friends, Elliot Hoyte, plays for them, as a DT. I personally know a few of the ISU players, because a few o-linemen are on our floor.

So ISU @ Boise State will be a bit of divided loyalty. But then again, there's quite a lot of BSU fans at ISU.

Nick Saban of Alabama, is one heck of a coach, and if nothing else, I can't help but have respect for the program Alabama have.

A lot fans have their NFL team, and then have their college team from the same state. So, as a Jags fan you would have a fair few options. You could support the Jacksonville Dolphins of the FCS....but Miami, Florida State, Florida....can't go wrong with them, to be honest.

I've watched a bit of UCF Knights because Bortles and Storm Johnson (7th Round HB) came from there last year. They're a fun watch. College games are just fun. I watched Alabama play Florida Atlantic in something like a 56-3 blowout and even that was a decent watch. If that happened in the NFL it would have been terrible.

P.S. I have no fan gear, I have the Cowboys v Jags International Series beanie hat but nothing more. You literally can't buy a Jags jersey for the current roster because you have no idea if the players are going to be there in a few years time. The only Jags legend is Tony Boselli, he was a tackle, nobody wants the jersey of an OT. I'd argue that support and knowledge makes the fan rather than their stuff.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
I've watched a bit of UCF Knights because Bortles and Storm Johnson (7th Round HB) came from there last year. They're a fun watch. College games are just fun. I watched Alabama play Florida Atlantic in something like a 56-3 blowout and even that was a decent watch. If that happened in the NFL it would have been terrible.

P.S. I have no fan gear, I have the Cowboys v Jags International Series beanie hat but nothing more. You literally can't buy a Jags jersey for the current roster because you have no idea if the players are going to be there in a few years time. The only Jags legend is Tony Boselli, he was a tackle, nobody wants the jersey of an OT. I'd argue that support and knowledge makes the fan rather than their stuff.

Get a Bryan Anger one. Guy is criminally underrated :wink:

I just tried that and got the Pats. Again a good thing as they're my team :tongue: On that note OP, I'd appreciate being added to the first post!

On a side note, I've decided I might as well follow a college team too. Given my love for the Pats (And a soft spot for the Boston Bruins of the NHL) I think it's only prudent I follow a team based in/around Boston for that too.
Reply 510
Get a Bryan Anger one. Guy is criminally underrated :wink:

He's actually awesome. He's done about as much justifying his draft position as is humanly possible for a punter in the 3rd. When a team punts as much as Jax have in the last 3 years the punter is an important dude!

Original post by MrDystopia
I just tried that and got the Pats. Again a good thing as they're my team :tongue: On that note OP, I'd appreciate being added to the first post!

You're now IN. This block of Pats fans is getting rather large! Can't we have a Buffalo Bill or a Tennessee Titan? One of those teams that nobody supports? Instead we just have a mass of Pats fans.

Newcomers to the thread, if you have no affiliation can you please not support the Patriots? Tom Brady is going to retire soon and then the Patriots will be mortal again.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
I won't, I can't see anyone on here doing so, we're pretty nice to all the Pats fans and they could be labelled with the same glory hunter tag.

Okay thanks :wink:

Jersey talk:

Spoiler

Yeah, I saw Miami vs Florida and South Carolina vs Texas A&M, both great games, although I'd find most games great games to be honest. I think for colleges I'll support Miami because (1) they won the first ever college football game I won and (2) Miami was the first place in America I visited (before going to Orlando a few days later, so really I could support Florida just as much).
I'll check out that documentary some time too; there's so much football stuff to absorb!
Also, I'll invest in a jersey some time most likely once I'm 100% on a team; I'm still thinking the Packers just because I really like their origin, the fact that they're from a small town, and that they're owned by the fans (and the cheeseheads obviously).

Yeah, you're right. I was just wondering if that's what people would say but I know that I should support a team if I really want to.

Yeah I'm not likely to abandon my team just because they're doing bad. I just did the quiz and I got (drumroll please) the Broncos too, thought you might be interested :biggrin:

Thanks everyone by the way, for helping a noob. I love you all :tongue:
Reply 512
I call supporting the Jags my penance for supporting Manchester United in football :laugh: The reversal of expectations is great, winning any game with the Jags is fun, winning the games with Man U is expected and thus is annoying when it doesn't happen.

Malevolent makes a good point. Last time the NFL was big in the UK was the 80s, there are loads of Dolphins, Cowboys and 49ers fans from that era because of Marino, America's Team and Montana.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
I call supporting the Jags my penance for supporting Manchester United in football :laugh: The reversal of expectations is great, winning any game with the Jags is fun, winning the games with Man U is expected and thus is annoying when it doesn't happen.

I don't care very much at all about football but technically support Liverpool and therefore we must be vicious rivals
Reply 514
Original post by jakemac
I don't care very much at all about football but technically support Liverpool and therefore we must be vicious rivals

Go and support Indianapolis Colts then. They're going to be an absolute pain in the arse in the AFC South until Luck retires or the division lines get re-drawn if there are expansion teams.
Original post by Wattsy
Go and support Indianapolis Colts then. They're going to be an absolute pain in the arse in the AFC South until Luck retires or the division lines get re-drawn if there are expansion teams.

A pain in the arse in the way, like they're just so good nobody can beat them or that they're a horrible team that everyone hates?
Reply 516
Original post by jakemac
A pain in the arse in the way, like they're just so good nobody can beat them or that they're a horrible team that everyone hates?

The Texans, Titans and Jags currently give them 6 wins a season. Until one of these teams has an established QB then that is the way it'll continue. They'll be perennial champions on that basis and I will get very fed up with it. Blake Bortles needs to get good for the Jags, Tennessee need to find their guy and pretty much the rest of their roster, the Texans could potentially drop a QB in to their team and challenge the Colts.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
The Texans, Titans and Jags currently give them 6 wins a season. Until one of these teams has an established QB then that is the way it'll continue. They'll be perennial champions on that basis and I will get very fed up with it. Blake Bortles needs to get good for the Jags, Tennessee need to find their guy and pretty much the rest of their roster, the Texans could potentially drop a QB in to their team and challenge the Colts.

Oh well I don't want to follow a team that wins by playing against teams that can't compete, where's the fun in that.
Reply 518
Original post by jakemac
Oh well I don't want to follow a team that wins by playing against teams that can't compete, where's the fun in that.

They win against competitors too but outside of the division. The Jags should be better this year if Blake Bortles improves. Them vs the Texans could be a good watch for 2nd, if the Texans get a QB in free agency then they might be able to win.

Watched any more games and has any more thoughts? It took me like 2 seasons to pick my team properly!
Original post by Wattsy
They win against competitors too but outside of the division. The Jags should be better this year if Blake Bortles improves. Them vs the Texans could be a good watch for 2nd, if the Texans get a QB in free agency then they might be able to win.

Watched any more games and has any more thoughts? It took me like 2 seasons to pick my team properly!

Let's see... I've seen Jags vs Giants, Ravens vs Broncos, Dolphins vs Packers, and the 2 college games I mentioned before. In the Dolphins vs Packers game, the Packers came back with 3 seconds to go to take the victory but I've got to say I think the dolphins played better. One thing I've got to say is that regardless of who's playing or what the score is, the last quarter is always very exciting and tense.
I've also concluded that:
American football > Football
American football > all other sports too

And I haven't really decided on a team yet; got to look at them all first! Just the Packers are the best team that I've looked in to so far, I think.

Quick Reply

Latest