The Student Room Group

I'm in Ghana AMA

Volunteering/work experience at a hospital.

Scroll to see replies

Is it warm and heavy there?
Original post by jedanselemyia
Is it warm and heavy there?

Humid and 33°C.

Borderline comfortable, not like Pakistan-style warmth where its just dry and hot. Like a house which has its heating turned up too high.
Original post by kaiwid23
Humid and 33°C.

Borderline comfortable, not like Pakistan-style warmth where its just dry and hot. Like a house which has its heating turned up too high.

I see. :smile:
What do you do exactly there?
I see. :smile:
What do you do exactly there?

Here for a week for work experience and volunteering at a hospital.
Have you tried any good food yet?
Original post by robthehero
Have you tried any good food yet?

I tried some yesterday but then stopped in fear of illness oops
I tried some yesterday but then stopped in fear of illness oops

Mhmm what'd you have?
Any sort of entertainment going on? Where in Ghana are you exactly?
Here for a week for work experience and volunteering at a hospital.

You want to become a doctor?
If you've had experience with patients, how was it?
Are they talking about football?
Original post by robthehero
Mhmm what'd you have?
Any sort of entertainment going on? Where in Ghana are you exactly?

I'm in Agona Swedru. I was in Accra yesterday. I've not gone to any place with entertainment. The food I tried was cooked at the place I was staying in Accra and it was a meat and rice dish.
You want to become a doctor?
If you've had experience with patients, how was it?

Yes :biggrin:

It's not exactly Royal Derby Hospital.

I'm at a nonprofit, religion-run hospital. Its very dark, the generator keeps switching off and the beds aren't very comfortable. Nonetheless, healthcare seems to be on point. Patients don't seem to be very entertained as there's little staff for them to talk to. Many mothers are sharing beds with their sick children.
I'm in Agona Swedru. I was in Accra yesterday. I've not gone to any place with entertainment. The food I tried was cooked at the place I was staying in Accra and it was a meat and rice dish.

Why did you choose to go to Ghana? What made you want to become a doctor? Are you going to specialize in a particular field?
Original post by shawn_o1
Are they talking about football?

There's pictures of Rooney on schoolbooks :biggrin:
Yes :biggrin:

It's not exactly Royal Derby Hospital.

I'm at a nonprofit, religion-run hospital. Its very dark, the generator keeps switching off and the beds aren't very comfortable. Nonetheless, healthcare seems to be on point. Patients don't seem to be very entertained as there's little staff for them to talk to. Many mothers are sharing beds with their sick children.

It was expected :smile:

Ghana has one of the best healthcare systems in Africa!
Aw that's a sad but nice image

have you had a cultural shock?
It was expected :smile:

Ghana has one of the best healthcare systems in Africa!
Aw that's a sad but nice image

have you had a cultural shock?

As I said, the healthcare is on point. A lot better than I expected. They're organising a new lab and such things.

It seems sad, but its a massive service that we often take for granted in the UK and other more developed countries.

Cultural shock? A little. People try to sell you stuff on main roads while you drive. There are religious institutions everywhere. It's different, but very social and colourful :smile:

People seem to be in a lot better shape than back in England.

My biggest "shock" was when I landed at Accra's airport and almost all the staff had a new high-end Samsung smartphone, probably due to the extensive marketing by Samsung in Ghana itself.
While you're in Africa do you have any plans to pop in to Uganda and meet with the Fonejacker?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As I said, the healthcare is on point. A lot better than I expected. They're organising a new lab and such things.

It seems sad, but its a massive service that we often take for granted in the UK and other more developed countries.

Cultural shock? A little. People try to sell you stuff on main roads while you drive. There are religious institutions everywhere. It's different, but very social and colourful :smile:

People seem to be in a lot better shape than back in England.

My biggest "shock" was when I landed at Accra's airport and almost all the staff had a new high-end Samsung smartphone, probably due to the extensive marketing by Samsung in Ghana itself.

Your overall impression seems really positive. I'm glad :smile:
Often people have a warped view of African countries.
Volunteering/work experience at a hospital.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How old are you and how did you arrange work experience /volunteering over there?
How do the people feel about the recent loss in the African cup of nations?

Quick Reply

Latest