The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Applications for the 2015 vacation schemes are fast approaching! Let's get talking :smile: Ask and answer all questions here! :biggrin:

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Dear me, someone's keen. :tongue: The 2014 schemes aren't even over yet!
Reply 2
Original post by Blackacre
Dear me, someone's keen. :tongue: The 2014 schemes aren't even over yet!

Haha, I know! Sorry! I'm really excited to apply for some reason :P
Reply 3
haha! I was expecting this thread :P
I have started researching about firms :P But, very casually. Will start working seriously maybe in few days :smile: How is it going?
Reply 4
Original post by trisha.b
haha! I was expecting this thread :P
I have started researching about firms :P But, very casually. Will start working seriously maybe in few days :smile: How is it going?

Haha :smile: Yeah I'm doing the same to be honest! There is no real rush, but it is good to do some research etc whilst I have a bit of time!
This is earlier than I expected - glad I'm one of the first ones here though :cool: What kinda firms are you guys looking at?
Reply 6
Original post by Horse273
This is earlier than I expected - glad I'm one of the first ones here though :cool: What kinda firms are you guys looking at?

I'm looking at MC, SC and some American firms. Probably 15-20 in total. What about you?
Anyone know the firms who won't allow you to apply for a TC if you're rejected for a vac scheme?
I'm looking at MC, SC and some American firms. Probably 15-20 in total. What about you?

Pretty similar to you - I'll probably apply to some other City firms outside of the SC/MC (Hogan Lovells comes to mind) and maybe just one or two US firms. I've read up a bit on some firms but summer's making me lazy :rolleyes:
Original post by Cutmeloose
Anyone know the firms who won't allow you to apply for a TC if you're rejected for a vac scheme?

I'd like to find a proper list for this as well. The only one I know that does this is Herbert Smith but I'm sure there are loads more.
I'd like to find a proper list for this as well. The only one I know that does this is Herbert Smith but I'm sure there are loads more.

Simmons and Irwin Mitchell don't, as far as I'm aware. I don't think such a list exists. :nope:

The easiest thing is to go through Chambers Student Guide, identify the firms of interest and then look at their requirements (2.1, AAB etc.). Personally I'd be inclined NOT to apply to any with this policy, since VSs are so competitive that a lot of good candidates will end up barring themselves from the TC app process by getting knocked out at VS stage. This then leaves the way clear for you to apply for a TC, if you see what I mean.
Pretty similar to you - I'll probably apply to some other City firms outside of the SC/MC (Hogan Lovells comes to mind) and maybe just one or two US firms. I've read up a bit on some firms but summer's making me lazy :rolleyes:

Have you visited any firms in your first year? As in, open days?
Original post by Blackacre
Simmons and Irwin Mitchell don't, as far as I'm aware. I don't think such a list exists. :nope:

The easiest thing is to go through Chambers Student Guide, identify the firms of interest and then look at their requirements (2.1, AAB etc.). Personally I'd be inclined NOT to apply to any with this policy, since VSs are so competitive that a lot of good candidates will end up barring themselves from the TC app process by getting knocked out at VS stage. This then leaves the way clear for you to apply for a TC, if you see what I mean.

That's exactly what I was thinking - it almost seems like a land mine to apply for those vac schemes. 2:1/AAB requirements are pretty standard across the City, so I'd like to know which vac schemes actually have high vac scheme-to-TC rates.

Have you visited any firms in your first year? As in, open days?

I went to some workshop at CC but I haven't been to any actual open days. Most firms had open days that I either missed the deadline for or they were firms I'd already been to in some other capacity.

I'm just worried about my results- they still haven't come out and they're kinda important :erm:
That's exactly what I was thinking - it almost seems like a land mine to apply for those vac schemes. 2:1/AAB requirements are pretty standard across the City, so I'd like to know which vac schemes actually have high vac scheme-to-TC rates.

I went to some workshop at CC but I haven't been to any actual open days. Most firms had open days that I either missed the deadline for or they were firms I'd already been to in some other capacity.

I'm just worried about my results- they still haven't come out and they're kinda important :erm:

They aren't yet? That's odd. Most universities have released it. I got a high 2.1 so I am sorted as far as results are concerned. Which univ are you from? All the best!
They aren't yet? That's odd. Most universities have released it. I got a high 2.1 so I am sorted as far as results are concerned. Which univ are you from? All the best!

Thanks and congrats :wink: I'm at SOAS and we don't get them till the 17th, which as you said is about as late as it gets. Which uni are you at?
Thanks and congrats :wink: I'm at SOAS and we don't get them till the 17th, which as you said is about as late as it gets. Which uni are you at?

Well, one more week for you!
I'm at Warwick :smile:
Will anyone else be applying with little or no legal work experience? I have plenty of other work experience.
Well, one more week for you!
I'm at Warwick :smile:

Could have been better, but I got a mid 2:1 (no 2:2s thankfully) so I guess I'm still in the game :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Only just scraped a 2.1 at LSE for first year so not overly optimistic.

Inclined to channel most of my focus into second year and mounting competitive TC applications + quite eager to do a summer internship in banking and can't do both!
Original post by Cutmeloose
Only just scraped a 2.1 at LSE for first year so not overly optimistic.

Inclined to channel most of my focus into second year and mounting competitive TC applications + quite eager to do a summer internship in banking and can't do both!

Hopefully it'll be mitigated by the fact that you're at LSE? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest