The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Have you enjoyed the course?

And last question I promise, what are the age ranges?
Original post by martan01
Have you enjoyed the course?

And last question I promise, what are the age ranges?

It's tough and very theory-heavy with less clinical experience than I would like, but the city makes up for that :smile:

The age range is very wide from 18 to 30. There's even a student who is 44 years of age here!
Reply 342
I'm a student at Charles university studying medicine, all I can say is that the doctors graduating from charles university are the most respected as i know how tough things are here. The quality of teaching is good but Charles univerisity doesn't mind weeding out students that Can't take the pressure and don't manage to pass the exams. Therefore it's not just about getting into the uni but it's about staying on the course. This university requires high determination and ridiculous amounts of work and studying. the system may be hard but in the end of the day what matters is becoming the best doctor.
Original post by dbcm
I'm a student at Charles university studying medicine, all I can say is that the doctors graduating from charles university are the most respected as i know how tough things are here. The quality of teaching is good but Charles univerisity doesn't mind weeding out students that Can't take the pressure and don't manage to pass the exams. Therefore it's not just about getting into the uni but it's about staying on the course. This university requires high determination and ridiculous amounts of work and studying. the system may be hard but in the end of the day what matters is becoming the best doctor.

Gosh, long time since I visited this thread/website. Just thought I'd post a quick update. I graduated from Charles in 2012 and now I'm a CT1.

Education in Prague really is brilliant - I've worked with people who graduated from all over the UK and from all over the world now. Can honestly say that the theoretical knowledge we gain from Charles is the best you can get. You will be MRCP 1 and MRCP 2 ready pretty much as soon as you graduate.

We are definitely lacking in practical skills when we newly graduate, but FY1 is a training post and you aren't expected to do many practical procedures which can't be quickly picked up on the job.

As for getting a job - FY1 post was a little tricky to get, but as long as you stick to it you can get a job very quick. I got a job after a month of applying for jobs. FY2 posts are much easier to get as you're in the system by that point and will interview well. After that you're just viewed as another candidate with regards to applying for specialty training schemes. Graduating from Charles has not hindered me a single step in my career so far. In fact it's given me a massive edge over other graduates - I get along with people no matter where they're from because I became so much more cultured being exposed to people from so many places, I can speak an extra language and I'm just way more interesting than some of the people I met who studied medicine while living with their mummy and daddy (not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's your inclination).

Glad to see this thread still alive - may post another update a couple years down the line!

Good luck to all still in Charles and all prospective students!! :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 344
Does anyone know if I complete a medical degree in the EU but am not an EU national, will I be eligible for fy1/2 posts in UK without having to do the PLAB?
Reply 345
Is the preparation course of 2 weeks worth doing?
Original post by Pikenu
Is the preparation course of 2 weeks worth doing?

I think it's worth doing, unless you have got the past papers that they give you from elsewhere...

I don't have any papers, just in case you're wondering. However, it's a great way to meet people going to Charles before you even get to Prague!
Reply 347
I'm thinking of joining charles but not sure since i get a lot of mixed reviews. Would appreciate it if someone could clear it out for me. Why does the university have a high fall out rate?? And how tough is their programme in terms of testing??
Original post by D3M9
I'm thinking of joining charles but not sure since i get a lot of mixed reviews. Would appreciate it if someone could clear it out for me. Why does the university have a high fall out rate?? And how tough is their programme in terms of testing??

The university has a high fallout rate because the amount of work you are required to do is very high.

Testing is done every week in a written format and sometimes oral. The test difficulty depends on the class teacher - some teachers are very tough, whereas others are relaxed (however, having relaxed teachers isn't a good thing because the tougher teachers will prepare you more thoroughly for the written part of the final exam(s)).
Reply 349
Original post by VoodooTik
The university has a high fallout rate because the amount of work you are required to do is very high.

Testing is done every week in a written format and sometimes oral. The test difficulty depends on the class teacher - some teachers are very tough, whereas others are relaxed (however, having relaxed teachers isn't a good thing because the tougher teachers will prepare you more thoroughly for the written part of the final exam(s)).

thanks!! :biggrin:
Reply 350
Hi everyone

I am applying for Dentistry at Charles but i'm a bit nervous about the entrance exam. Can anyone recommend me any good revision books? Also if anyone has been to the revision course is it possible if you could send me the revision pack.I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by ai96
Hi everyone

I am applying for Dentistry at Charles but i'm a bit nervous about the entrance exam. Can anyone recommend me any good revision books? Also if anyone has been to the revision course is it possible if you could send me the revision pack.I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you :smile:

The CGP books are quite good.

And no, I don't have the revision packs
Original post by Chromozone
Gosh, long time since I visited this thread/website. Just thought I'd post a quick update. I graduated from Charles in 2012 and now I'm a CT1.

Education in Prague really is brilliant - I've worked with people who graduated from all over the UK and from all over the world now. Can honestly say that the theoretical knowledge we gain from Charles is the best you can get. You will be MRCP 1 and MRCP 2 ready pretty much as soon as you graduate.

We are definitely lacking in practical skills when we newly graduate, but FY1 is a training post and you aren't expected to do many practical procedures which can't be quickly picked up on the job.

As for getting a job - FY1 post was a little tricky to get, but as long as you stick to it you can get a job very quick. I got a job after a month of applying for jobs. FY2 posts are much easier to get as you're in the system by that point and will interview well. After that you're just viewed as another candidate with regards to applying for specialty training schemes. Graduating from Charles has not hindered me a single step in my career so far. In fact it's given me a massive edge over other graduates - I get along with people no matter where they're from because I became so much more cultured being exposed to people from so many places, I can speak an extra language and I'm just way more interesting than some of the people I met who studied medicine while living with their mummy and daddy (not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's your inclination).

Glad to see this thread still alive - may post another update a couple years down the line!

Good luck to all still in Charles and all prospective students!! :tongue:

I'm in 2nd year in the First Faculty. Is it really imperative to have learned Czech by the 4th year?
Original post by qasidb
I'm in 2nd year in the First Faculty. Is it really imperative to have learned Czech by the 4th year?

Not really. The doctor will have the patient's history and will read it out to you after you have had some chance to talk to the patient(s) and tried to gather a patient history for yourself.
Not really. The doctor will have the patient's history and will read it out to you after you have had some chance to talk to the patient(s) and tried to gather a patient history for yourself.

Thanks for the info. But what about the 6th year? Won't we be needing to talk to the doctors and others in the hospitals? The clinical stuff?
Original post by qasidb
Thanks for the info. But what about the 6th year? Won't we be needing to talk to the doctors and others in the hospitals? The clinical stuff?

All the doctors will know how to speak English (albeit to various degrees). Like I said, you don't need to worry about your Czech. If you don't understand something, the doctors are more than happy translating it for you.
All the doctors will know how to speak English (albeit to various degrees). Like I said, you don't need to worry about your Czech. If you don't understand something, the doctors are more than happy translating it for you.

That's brilliant since I've been worried about my Czech. I can speak a bit but understanding is another thing. Thanks.
Hi
I've heard that if you don't pass your exams (after your 3rd chance) you may be kicked out from Charles University. How often does this happen and is it THAT hard to stay in and cope with the course? I'm deciding on whether to apply there or not. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rafaelpires
Hi
I've heard that if you don't pass your exams (after your 3rd chance) you may be kicked out from Charles University. How often does this happen and is it THAT hard to stay in and cope with the course? I'm deciding on whether to apply there or not. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To pass the year, you need to gain a minimum number of credits and each subject has a certain amount of credits attributed to it. If you pass everything, you get 60 credits. If you get less than 50, you are kicked out. If you get above 50, but not the full 60 credits, then you can go onto next year. However, you must carry the failed subject onto next year as well as doing (some of) the second year subjects as well.

The first and second years are the toughest years (in my opinion) and therefore there is a significant dropout rate. After second year, the dropout rate is significantly diminished (only one or two people dropout per year after second year). However, it is not impossible (hard work and dedication will be your saviour).
How does the work load in 3rd year compare to the previous years? I heard that the 'final' exams start really early, like from around November.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending