The Student Room Group

Can I get AIDs from this??

Ok, I messed up. I'm usually incredibly careful when it comes to things like this:frown:

Basically, earlier on, my bf got a cut on his finger and it started bleeding, so I licked it teasingly and thought nothing of it at the time. Here I am a few hours later sitting at my desk and it just dawned on my that STIs spread via the blood :facepalm:

As far as I know he's negative, but you can never be too sure. Anyways, can you get HIV transmission from this kind of thing, or is it usually intravenous needle use when people talk about blood borne viruses??

Someone pls tell me it's ok

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by R Dragon
Ok, I messed up. I'm usually incredibly careful when it comes to things like this:frown:

Basically, earlier on, my bf got a cut on his finger and it started bleeding, so I licked it teasingly and thought nothing of it at the time. Here I am a few hours later sitting at my desk and it just dawned on my that STIs spread via the blood :facepalm:

As far as I know he's negative, but you can never be too sure. Anyways, can you get HIV transmission from this kind of thing, or is it usually intravenous needle use when people talk about blood borne viruses??

Unless you have any open cuts or sores in your mouth, you should be fine HIV-wise. You only need to worry if his blood makes contact with your blood as far as I'm aware (aside from the obvious sexual means of transmission). :tongue:

Having said that, I'm no medical expert, but I'm sure somebody better qualified to answer your question will be along soon. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

As said above, the risk is probably quite low as long as you don't have cuts in your mouth.

The important thing here is to get tested just to be on the safe side, and also have your boyfriend get himself tested, and then show each other your certificates. That's particularly worth doing because then it means you don't need to use condoms! :drool:

(As long as you are being monogamous)
Original post by la95
Unless you have any open cuts or sores in your mouth, you should be fine HIV-wise. You only need to worry if his blood makes contact with your blood as far as I'm aware (aside from the obvious sexual means of transmission). :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope I didn't brush my teeth too vigorously :ahhhhh: I still can't believe the thought didn't occur to me at the time ffs.

And no, I know how to stay safe in that department XD
HIV is not just a sexually-transmitted infection, can I just point out. And HIV viruses cannot survive outside of the blood, so I would guess that if he were HIV positive then the HIV viruses would have died by the time you had licked his blood.

Is there such thing as 'teasingly' licking someone else's blood? It not something I would personally recommend.
Original post by young_guns
As said above, the risk is probably quite low as long as you don't have cuts in your mouth.

The important thing here is to get tested just to be on the safe side, and also have your boyfriend get himself tested, and then show each other your certificates. That's particularly worth doing because then it means you don't need to use condoms! :drool:

(As long as you are being monogamous)

Lmao, I'll always use a condom (just to be on the safe side) XD

Where can I get tested? And how much is it?
Original post by beyknowles
HIV is not just a sexually-transmitted infection, can I just point out. And HIV viruses cannot survive outside of the blood, so I would guess that if he were HIV positive then the HIV viruses would have died by the time you had licked his blood.

Is there such thing as 'teasingly' licking someone else's blood? It not something I would personally recommend.

Oh, great- that's reassuring :biggrin:

Haha, it sounds pretty gross now. But it was like one of those spur of the moments things :rolleyes:
Oh, great- that's reassuring :biggrin:

Haha, it sounds pretty gross now. But it was like one of those spur of the moments things :rolleyes:

We all do crazy things at times.

How come you wrote 'AIDs'? :tongue:
Original post by beyknowles
We all do crazy things at times.

How come you wrote 'AIDs'? :tongue:

Tell me about it :redface:

Because HIV leads to AIDs, so in my head they're pretty synonymous :colone:
Lmao, I'll always use a condom (just to be on the safe side) XD

Good lad :smile:

Where can I get tested? And how much is it?

You can get tests for free, there are sexual health clinics in all major centres. In fact, your GP would do it too. Just google HIV test and your area, and it will pull up local sexual health services. They will also give you free condoms and lube, so it's worth the trip
Good lad :smile:

You can get tests for free, there are sexual health clinics in all major centres. In fact, your GP would do it too. Just google HIV test and your area, and it will pull up local sexual health services. They will also give you free condoms and lube, so it's worth the trip

Thanks, puppy :biggrin:

I don't think I can bring myself to go to the Gp, if anything I'd like something as anonymous and discreet as possible.... Worst case scenario the Gp will contact the GDC and there goes my career down the drain :frown:
Not HIV, but full blown aids

Sorry had to say that.
It seems unlikely, you said your bf was negative so it shouldn't be a problem. Even if he did have aids, you need blood to blood contact, which would only have happened if you had a cut on your mouth or something.

Hope you're feeling better about this bro!
(edited 9 years ago)

Actually, I think something like that happened in Please Like Me iirc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VxnEM84Wm4
Thanks, puppy :biggrin:

No problemo, I live to serve :smile: Woof!

I don't think I can bring myself to go to the Gp, if anything I'd like something as anonymous and discreet as possible.... Worst case scenario the Gp will contact the GDC and there goes my career down the drain :frown:

Your GP will definitely *not* contact anyone or talk to anyone about the fact you went for a test, let alone the tests results. They could be sued for millions for breaking confidentiality. And even if they told the GDC (is that the dental council?), the GDC wouldn't care / wouldn't do anything negative to you. Having an STI is not a basis to stop someone studying / becoming a dentist etc.

But I can totally understand if you don't want your GP to know; there will definitely be sexual health clinics near your university who will test you for free and give you free lubes and condoms
(edited 9 years ago)
From what you've said, the risk is low to negligible, but if I were you I'd still get both of you tested to be sure. Also, a further test after 3 months, as it can take that long for HIV to be detectable in the blood stream.

Having said all that, that's just a precaution. If you both reasonably believe that your bf is HIV negative, then I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. :smile:
... you think your bf could have HIV???

O.o
HIV is so rare it's really really unlikely. Unless he has loads of unprotected sex or does heroin it's unlikely I think. You could ask him to get tested though. It's only a blood test I believe
Tell me about it :redface:

Because HIV leads to AIDs, so in my head they're pretty synonymous :colone:

It takes about 8-10 years for HIV to become into AIDs. I think the user just wanted to correct you since you don't get AIDs initially.
It take up to about 3 months for HIV antibodies to be detected in your blood but the chance of you getting HIV seems really unlikely.
Actually, I think something like that happened in Please Like Me iirc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VxnEM84Wm4

Awww, so cute :3

No problemo, I live to serve :smile: Woof!

Your GP will definitely *not* contact anyone or talk to anyone about the fact you went for a test, let alone the tests results. They could be sued for millions for breaking confidentiality. And even if they told the GDC (is that the dental council?), the GDC wouldn't care / wouldn't do anything negative to you. Having an STI is not a basis to stop someone studying / becoming a dentist etc.

But I can totally understand if you don't want your GP to know; there will definitely be sexual health clinics near your university who will test you for free and give you free lubes and condoms

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, I'm pretty sure they have a duty to inform the GDC in the behalf of public interest/safety, the general dentist council has very strict regulations when it comes to exposure prone procedures, if you have hep B or HIV there goes your career down the drain :frown:

I'll check out some local health clinics though ^_^

Original post by Gott
HIV is scary

Yeah, tell me about it ;_;

Original post by hellodave5
... you think your bf could have HIV???

O.o

We've been dating for only 2 months...

Original post by Ladymusiclover
It takes about 8-10 years for HIV to become into AIDs. I think the user just wanted to correct you since you don't get AIDs initially.
It take up to about 3 months for HIV antibodies to be detected in your blood but the chance of you getting HIV seems really unlikely.

Ah ok, p.s. it's antigens (not antibodies) :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by askew116
From what you've said, the risk is low to negligible, but if I were you I'd still get both of you tested to be sure. Also, a further test after 3 months, as it can take that long for HIV to be detectable in the blood stream.

Having said all that, that's just a precaution. If you both reasonably believe that your bf is HIV negative, then I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. :smile:

Original post by beckaroo7
HIV is so rare it's really really unlikely. Unless he has loads of unprotected sex or does heroin it's unlikely I think. You could ask him to get tested though. It's only a blood test I believe

Thanks guys :colondollar:

Quick Reply