The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1520
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I don't quite get why people are saying with got easy fixtures coming up. We have:
Crystal Palace (A)
Everton (H)
QPR (A)
West Ham (H)
Newcastle (A)
Liverpool (H)

Trust me there's easier fixtures than that. :emo:

There are, but I think most of us compare these to our horrific fixtures this time last year. The harder fixtures are at home too..
18/18 points is a must.
If Liverpool beat you at the emirates, they'll most likely finish above you.
Reply 1523
Original post by jam277

Guarantee they won't win at Emirates however. Can't even see a draw if I'm honest.
Nah we can draw if we have Lucas back and Gerrard doesn't play, we got a 2-2 there two seasons ago.

First XI to first XI there's not much difference, Sanchez is the standout.
Reply 1525
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1423706264.789514.jpg
Reply 1526
Original post by jam277
Robben is pretty direct and goes for goal a lot. I'm looking more at old Robben where he was one in particular but I'd still say he's more grinder than pure footballer, he used to cover Lahm at Right back when he foraged forward under Heynckes and he is the kinda guy who just ran at somebody until they gave up. Just as Ronaldo is more a grinder.

By the definitions you used Robben is as perfect a pure footballer as it gets, whether it's old Robben or new Robben. The main difference between the Robben stages is the amount of injuries and subsequent consistency and the mental aspect of his game (which your categories don't account for) anyway. He has pace, he has physicality, but what he relies on the most is his superb technical ability, skill and dribbling. He's not a player to just "run at somebody til they give up"; but one who loves to dribble his way into the box, beating players with skill and technical superiority (and dives), either to release another player and deliver a great pass or to go for goal himself. Ofc he played different roles under different coaches thus hasn't always been able to fully utilise his technique, but he's always shown that in his game and even under Henyckes/LvG days was arguably Bayern's most technical player. Wrt finishing, he got that choker image after his famous final misses, but has made up for it and is actually fairly clinical. One of the players with the best technical ability around for me, and his play looks reminiscent of Messi sometimes, so not a grinder at all. Wouldn't say he ever was, but he's certainly not now or recently.

I'd also disagree about Alexis. How he plays and what aspects of his technical skillset he gets to use depends so much on the set up and what role he's playing in it that it's hard to fit him in any category, let alone in one that's as extreme as the ones you made. I get what you mean if you look at eg last season, where he racked up goals mostly by putting effort into cutting players and then taking a shot, just providing the right movement to poach goals (some notable exceptions of course), wherehas e.g. his dribbling or other technical tricks looked awfully awkward and clumsy most of the time he tried it. In a team that's using him as a movement- and scoring-providing forward while leaving the creative spark to a technically skilled and dribbling-loving midfield, this is no surprise. But if you look at how much his skillset shines in a team that actually relies on him as a creative dynamic force, e.g. Udinese or Chile, he's a completely different type of player. So he's a part-time grinder, or a grinder in non-counter teams?

These categories are too simple though ofc, even if you say that players can be hybrids, there would be too many hybrids around for the division into 2 categories to be senseful.
(edited 9 years ago)
aka jam gets assraped yet again by qua

jam just doesn't get it

chatting **** just doesn't get you anywhere
KFC Buffet
Robben, Arjen Robben, a grinder? Seriously?

I can't even get into how many players overlap or just don't fit nicely into either

6 hours ago
Original post by qua
beating players with skill and technical superiority (and dives)

cheeky

bitte(r)?
How do you lot feel vs Monaco and what team would you play against them? I don't really watch them, know they used to play a diamond last season.

Think this is the most interesting tie as with the lack of an RB and no Ramsey+ Wilshere there's going to be a struggle.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
How do you lot feel vs Monaco and what team would you play against them? I don't really watch them, know they used to play a diamond last season.

Think this is the most interesting tie as with the lack of an RB and no Ramsey+ Wilshere there's going to be a struggle.

Ospina
Bellerin/CC Kos Mert Monreal
Coq
Walcott Ozil Cazorla Alexis
Giroud

I'd like to see us start with this at home; and something along the lines of this away depending on who's available:

Ospina
Bellerin/CC Kos Mert Monreal
Coq Flam
Walcott Ozil Alexis
Welbeck

I think we'll have too much for them in the first leg. Sure, the topped their group, and away trips to the likes of Zenit and Benfica are never easy, but they only managed to score four goals, which is the lowest of any teams in the knockout stages (Juve and Bayer are tied on 7).

We'll be in the quarters if we head to the south of France with a 2-0 cushion.
Original post by jam277

I think Arsenal are comfortably finishing 3rd and could start looking at Man City if City's bad form continues..
Ozil in a big away game?

Can't ****ing wait

Sums me up when you guys lose.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I don't quite get why people are saying with got easy fixtures coming up. We have:
Crystal Palace (A)
Everton (H)
QPR (A)
West Ham (H)
Newcastle (A)
Liverpool (H)

Trust me there's easier fixtures than that. :emo:

We should win all of those games, but they could easily be draws (especially the Everton, West Ham and Liverpool games). The fixture list has no real games that we will definitely drop points (unlike our rivals), so it is an 'easy' fixture list.

Original post by angelfox
18/18 points is a must.

Not really, no.

Original post by jam277

Monaco dumped arguably their best three players (Falcao, James, and Ocampos), and aren't looking brilliant in Ligue 1. Competent, sure, due to their defense, but not CL quality. When you watch them, they are sluggish and uninspired compared to last season, often relying on moments of brilliance, or mistakes from the other team. I am confident we can grind out a low scoring draw in the away leg, and a win at the Emirates.

I would play:

Ospina
Bellerin - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Monreal
Coquelin - Cazorla
Walcott - Ozil - Sanchez
Giroud

Original post by KFC Buffet
Ozil in a big away game?

Can't ****ing wait

Ozil is fine, and he is hitting a purple patch.
Original post by Arkasia

Ozil is fine, and he is hitting a purple patch.

Yeah, I couldn't stop watching his goal against Spurs - quality finish

https://vine.co/v/OUHmLIaDjZ2
Original post by The Shed End

"The Shed End"
"Compliments Arsenal and links vine"

I am not clicking that, but it wouldn't happen to be the 6-0 game, would it?
Original post by The Shed End

Ain't laughed like that in a while.

Latest