The Student Room Group

Are A Level edexcel psychology practicals externally assessed?

As the title asks, does anyone know whether Edexcel A level psychology practicals have to be externally assessed. Reading the specification, i thought they weren't externally assessed but questioned in the exams. But the exam board has just said they are externally assessed and gave me a link to the specification papers.

Am i missing something or is it possible the person at the exam board have confused it with another exam/subject.

Any help really welcomed as i chose this subject which i am self studying as i thought there weren't any practicals needing teachers assessment or external assessment and i paid the exam fees yesterday!:confused:
Hey there,

I'm pretty certain that the practicals are not externally assessed and as you said, they are simply questioned in the exams. I'm current doing edexcel psychology (A2) and this is currently the case (It was also the case at AS), so it is definitely possible that there has been some confusion of the matter and there has simply been a mix up with another subject.

I hope this clears up the matter ~ :smile:
Reply 2
hi, thanks for the reply. That is really reassuring. Good to hear from someone currently studying from the same exam board. I will stop panicking now:smile:
Original post by Tess02
hi, thanks for the reply. That is really reassuring. Good to hear from someone currently studying from the same exam board. I will stop panicking now:smile:

No problem, glad that I was able to help you out!

Good luck with your self-studying by the way! How are you finding it? I'm always open to other questions if you ever need any help considering we both do edexcel :smile:
Reply 4
Enjoying the study although a bit stretched for time as also taking economics. Have covered the AS and took one of the exams and awarded myself a "D" though i didn't do the last question. On the whole feel i need to complete more exam papers to get a better feel for what information you actually get awarded marks, as well as some revision. Avoid spending too much time reading extra material that won't actually gain points. Then just to cover the whole A2 material before June!!!! Do like to set myself a challenge.

Its not a bad subject to self study due to the textbook mainly sticking to the curriculum, though i will have to use suggested answers on the mark schemes and examiners notes to see if i'm evaluating things properly and writing too little/too much. Things a teachers helps with. Would be more difficult to self study if this was the first year of the curriculum.
Hi, Ive been teaching Edexcel psychology this year. The practices are NOT assessed separately. They will ask questions about them in the exam such as what was your aim, or what were your conclusions, how could you improve your research etc and occasionally they have asked for essays on them but they are part of the exam paper and generally easy marks to gain as you can make them up provided you know how to answer them.
Original post by Tess02
Enjoying the study although a bit stretched for time as also taking economics. Have covered the AS and took one of the exams and awarded myself a "D" though i didn't do the last question. On the whole feel i need to complete more exam papers to get a better feel for what information you actually get awarded marks, as well as some revision. Avoid spending too much time reading extra material that won't actually gain points. Then just to cover the whole A2 material before June!!!! Do like to set myself a challenge.

Its not a bad subject to self study due to the textbook mainly sticking to the curriculum, though i will have to use suggested answers on the mark schemes and examiners notes to see if i'm evaluating things properly and writing too little/too much. Things a teachers helps with. Would be more difficult to self study if this was the first year of the curriculum.

I can check your evaluation if you need me to.
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies and the offers of help. Just attacking the A2 now but have the awful longlasting rotten cold going around so finding it difficult to study properly. But i will get there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending