The Student Room Group

First Year Vacation Schemes/Insight Days 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by tparish95
Hey, I've also got a CC Springboard offer! When I spoke to someone from Graduate Recruitment today I asked if the Paris trip involved an additional day on top of the advertised 4 and they said it would most likely be on the Tuesday so it's still 4 days long in total.

I can't believe there's only 25 of us, I thought it would be a bigger intake. It was obviously more competitive than I first imagined.

Thanks for the info!
On a side note I think we're in the same public law class lol
Reply 141
I received offers from Simmons & Simmons and PwC (consulting) for spring insight schemes, but their dates clash. Does anyone have any advice? :frown:
Original post by SXYX
I received offers from Simmons & Simmons and PwC (consulting) for spring insight schemes, but their dates clash. Does anyone have any advice? :frown:

I'm in a similar situation as I've received an offer from Goldman Sachs for their Spring Week which is 2 weeks long in Easter - clashes with Hogan Lovells/Weil which I've applied for.

I think it depends on how badly you want the Simmons & Simmons experience - i.e. do you intend to apply to them next year or not? If you are pretty interested in them and do intend on applying for a vac scheme/TC with them then I would turn down PwC. I personally don't intend to apply to Hogan Lovells next year so I'm taking my Goldman offer and withdrawing from the process for Hogan Lovells.
Reply 143
Original post by Unsworth
I'm in a similar situation as I've received an offer from Goldman Sachs for their Spring Week which is 2 weeks long in Easter - clashes with Hogan Lovells/Weil which I've applied for.

I think it depends on how badly you want the Simmons & Simmons experience - i.e. do you intend to apply to them next year or not? If you are pretty interested in them and do intend on applying for a vac scheme/TC with them then I would turn down PwC. I personally don't intend to apply to Hogan Lovells next year so I'm taking my Goldman offer and withdrawing from the process for Hogan Lovells.

I already have a Clifford Chance offer (accepted). I'm not sure if it's better to have 1 law 1 consulting for more diversity, or 2 law schemes to show my devotion (lol) to law? :frown:
Original post by SXYX
I already have a Clifford Chance offer (accepted). I'm not sure if it's better to have 1 law 1 consulting for more diversity, or 2 law schemes to show my devotion (lol) to law? :frown:

Ah yes I remember you saying before - congratulations and see you there :wink:

How much previous law experience do you have? If CC is going to be your first proper experience at a law firm then I would take Simmons in order to boost your app for vac schemes next year further. If you already have a few other insight days/legal experience on your CV then perhaps take PwC.
Reply 145
Original post by SXYX

Seeing that you have CC already, I'd say PwC. It's a company that's at the top of its field and I think it'd look slightly more impressive on your CV. More importantly, I think it'd be a better experience overall and you get to diversify a bit as well.

If you get into Weil, would you take them over Goldman Sachs or do you need to reply to Goldman before Weil starts its assessment day?
Original post by RohinGD

If you get into Weil, would you take them over Goldman Sachs or do you need to reply to Goldman before Weil starts its assessment day?

Not sure mate. Given there are only 10 places on Weil's scheme the chances of getting on it are fairly low anyway, but then there is the guarantee of the vac scheme the following year and it is definitely a firm I want to apply to for a TC. I think ultimately though I'm going to keep Goldman. You can't beat having them on your CV and because I've got a fair bit of legal experience anyway I'd like to think having an investment bank like GS will add a slightly different edge to my applications next year.
Invited to take Watson Glazer test for Hogan Lovells, anyone else in the same boat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iano101
Invited to take Watson Glazer test for Hogan Lovells, anyone else in the same boat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah man - best of luck with it. (Hint: You can practise it on Hogan Lovells, Linklaters and Clifford Chance's websites btw!)
Yeah man - best of luck with it. (Hint: You can practise it on Hogan Lovells, Linklaters and Clifford Chance's websites btw!)

Okay cheers mate. Well done on the offers so far! You haven't heard from a&o by any chance have you? They said they would get back within 14 days but that never happened..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iano101
Okay cheers mate. Well done on the offers so far! You haven't heard from a&o by any chance have you? They said they would get back within 14 days but that never happened..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks bud. Nope and I know loads of people who have applied and are in the same situation, think they are just taking their time haha.
Reply 151
Has anyone got other spring scheme/open day offers?
Reply 152
Has anyone had any communication with Herbert Smith or Shearman & Sterling after submitting their applications?
Reply 153
Original post by RohinGD
Has anyone had any communication with Herbert Smith or Shearman & Sterling after submitting their applications?

For Herbert Smith - got invitation for verbal and logical test, still waiting for update

Shearman - no communication at all :/
PFO from A&O (this isn't going well :lol: )

Mentioned tough competition for the 25th june - wonder if that means I would've been more lucky had I chosen a different date!
Just received a rejection from A&O just to let people know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucilou101
PFO from A&O (this isn't going well :lol: )

Mentioned tough competition for the 25th june - wonder if that means I would've been more lucky had I chosen a different date!

Yeah may have been that. Also the places they have for these programmes are very limited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iano101
Yeah may have been that. Also the places they have for these programmes are very limited.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah tough luck really - can't be easy to choose people purely based on a form!
Reply 158
Original post by iano101

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Lucilou101
Yeah tough luck really - can't be easy to choose people purely based on a form!

How much time during the holiday do you plan on allocating for spring schemes? Just had a talk with my uni's careers advisor, and she thinks that a week long scheme with CC and a two-day law/consulting programme would be more than enough. A bit worried that I might not have enough time to study, but I still have some applications being processed:/
Offer from A&O! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending