The Student Room Group

Why DONT you want to be well paid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MagicNMedicine
When you can get a job on £90k a year as a diversity and climate change equality officer with the council I can't understand why people would go running a small business or being a solider on less than a third of that?

Maybe its just laziness those people don't have enough drive in life.

The fact that you don't understand is neither of these reasons. It's down to your lack of understanding.
Original post by Plumstone
Because I have met a few investment bankers and they were all arrogant, annoying and if I had to spend my weeks around people like that, then I would go mad.

By the ridiculous amount of people on this whole forum that seem to want to become investment bankers, in a kind of bandwagon type way, because they sniff a few dollars, it looks like you already are inadvertently sending a lot of time around people like that.

The vision of this Country becoming one massive investment banking entity due to the greed of this generation is depressing, as well as visions of us losing our tradesmen, teachers, nurses, etc. etc. - this will end up very messy.
Original post by horseyfan
x

Original post by Lilly112
x

Original post by bumblebee342
x

No offence girls but it's very much different for you. You aren't supposed to be the breadwinners of the household, so even if you were unemployed not many men apart from the few feminist supporters would actually give a damn.

For us men there's a very real opportunity cost to not working hard for top paying professions (well.. some people here make the argument that they'd rather be on a teachers wage because they'd be happy). Girls can afford to go for low-paying jobs because the actuality of the matter is they can marry some rich banker/doctor/lawyer who would willingly pay for her every desire because it's the social norm, doesn't happen the other way around.
You are going to be spending the majority of your time at this job for the next 40-50 years, I don't know about you but I would much rather be in a job I love and look forward to every day that pays me enough to live on than a job that I hate and makes me want to die every time I think about it that pays £100,000 per year. Money certainly isn't everything.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
No offence girls but it's very much different for you. You aren't supposed to be the breadwinners of the household, so even if you were unemployed not many men apart from the few feminist supporters would actually give a damn.

For us men there's a very real opportunity cost to not working hard for top paying professions (well.. some people here make the argument that they'd rather be on a teachers wage because they'd be happy). Girls can afford to go for low-paying jobs because the actuality of the matter is they can marry some rich banker/doctor/lawyer who would willingly pay for her every desire because it's the social norm, doesn't happen the other way around.

Forgive me for saying, but this sounds like cultural upbringing with you. Your assumption that the man will be the breadwinner of the household, etc. etc. - I think your comments are based on this mindset. Which is fair enough, but explains a lot.

Is there any particular reason as to why?

People make this industry seem like the devil's work without having any justifictions other than envy.

Ah the old 'They must be jealous' card.

You do seriously sound like you don't understand. Yet you are intelligent enough to earn big bucks. Why not try applying that intelligence to opening your mind a little, rather than obsessing about the folding green stuff? Although if this mindset is indeed deeply ingrained into you then I don't blame you, it is very hard to change such a mindset, and who says that you should? Each to their own.

But don't repeatedly fail to understand a concept as simple as 'money isn't everything' which is basically the answer to the original question of this thread. Perhaps more life experience will open your eyes to this? Or perhaps not. Some people live out the whole of their lives with money as their top priority. Just understand that others have different values, that's all.
I remember reading a published article once about depression rates in adults, and its conclusions was there are significantly higher levels of depression and anxiety in individuals who took on intensive careers that they did not enjoy. The motives they had for taking on these careers wasn't given, but its questionable as to whether they took these jobs because they were well paid.

It really depends on what you want from life. Having a ludicrously well paid job is one thing, but you have to do it every day - and if you hate it or dont enjoy it, will you really be enjoying your life? Will you have much in common with your co workers who love the job?

Id rather wake up every day to a less well paid job, but actually wake up in the morning and think, hmm, todays going to be a good day, rather than waking up in a mansion and thinking, sigh, i have to go to work again.

Regardless, without sounding stereotypical, Ive been reading a few of your replies and it seems that you have been brought up in a cultural way that reflects your opinion. So I dont blame you for thinking the way you do.
(edited 9 years ago)
This statement is generally reserved for one of two categories of individuals: The underclass and those who have under-performed in formal education.

Oh okay. That explains all those lecturers at University....
Some people prefer to work in companies that fit in with their strong humanitarian values.
Original post by King Boo

Regardless, without sounding stereotypical, Ive been reading a few of your replies and it seems that you have been brought up in a cultural way that reflects your opinion. So I dont blame you for thinking the way you do.

Nail on the head, I think.
Original post by drowzee
Well I can't speak for other people or myself since I have no idea what I want to do, but my sister works in corperate law at a v. good firm in London and I rarely ever see her anymore. She slaves away working long hours and then is sometimes called in on the weekend. I really do not think that is the life I want. Sure it's well paid and prestigous, but is it really worth all that hard work? Especially since she lives in London now, so her money really doesn't stretch THAT far. And this is coming from someone who has grown up in a family with financial instability. So is it really worth it? Well for some it maybe, but for others it will not. Money is not everything, yes it matters but it is not everything.

Oh I really don't think under £50K is bad at all. Anything above £30K is great.

Which firm, out of interest?
I'd rather do something I love/feel passionate about and a job can be satisfying and emotionally fulfilling and intellectually stimulating without being paid well :smile:
A lot of it as well, is to do with giving a little more, and taking a little less...

In your opinion.

We live in a society where men aren't always the "breadwinners" and there's women who earn a similar amount to (if not more than) their partner.
I appreciate that there's still a difference in some cases but that doesn't mean that we're not "supposed to be" earning a decent salary or that it's "different" for us...
I guess some jobs that some people want to get into actually don't pay as much as others. The profession I want to go into doesn't pay as much as Investment Banking. I'm not exactly into economics and such so why would I pick that for a career choice? I'd rather do something I enjoy for the rest of my life than endure it.
Reply 214
Guy is in his 1st year of Uni and thinks he's been through life already.
(well.. some people here make the argument that they'd rather be on a teachers wage because they'd be happy).

You seem to underestimate how much teachers make; the average teacher makes £34k, and at senior levels it can be £60k+. Add in the very generous pensions and holidays, and its not that bad a job financially.

Also teachers are geographically flexible and arent restricting to living in London, unlike many other careers. In practical terms, a teacher earning £35k in Newcastle is going to have a higher quality of life than a City worker earning £80k in London. The latter probsbly isnt even going to be able to afford to buy a house within 30 minutes drive of work; most City workers with families tend to have to live outside London and do a 1+ hour commute (which is especially bad when youre working 10 hours a day)
(edited 9 years ago)
Lots of people can't be bothered studying and don't like the exam type learning that comes with uni so will choose to either not go, or do easier subjects...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think anyone doesn't want to be well paid, but rather they're not willing to do the things that they would be required to do for them to be well paid. Would anyone voluntarily turn down a pay increase?

Most people simply aren't interested in the kind of city careers that so many on TSR salivate over, and are probably aiming for a trade-off between earning as much as they can whilst doing something they can stand.
I'm working with objective of enhancing my community and it's standard of living. Salary is secondary.
Original post by Smack

Most people simply aren't interested in the kind of city careers that so many on TSR salivate over, and are probably aiming for a trade-off between earning as much as they can whilst doing something they can stand.

I would say that in general the best paying jobs are often the most fun/interesting. Obviously there are some enjoyable low paying jobs but the majority of them are menial drudgery. High paying jobs often tend to have more autonomy and opportunties for creativity.

The idea that there is a trade-off between earning a high salary and having a rewarding job is flawed, because in practice the two tend to be highly correlated. Obviously there are exceptions, but I"m talking aobut averages here. Yeah, if you compared a stock market trader or management consultant to an artist or academic historian then you could say the latter had a more interesting job, but most non-City workers are not artists or historians, they have jobs like "receptionist", "office manager", "local government worker", "HR", etc.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending