The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samus2
I GOT THE JOB! So happy and shocked at the moment.

Contract starts on July 1st.

I can't believe it!

Congratulations!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Samus2

I can't believe it!

Congratulations! I haven't even started applying yet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Samus2

I can't believe it!

Congratulations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Samus2

I can't believe it!

Ahhhh! Well done! So pleased for you. It has also made me more hopeful for applying for jobs at schools with a trainee.

Here I am only applied for one job :ninja: .
Original post by myblueheaven339
Congratulations!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Congratulations! I haven't even started applying yet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by gemmam
Congratulations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Airfairy
Ahhhh! Well done! So pleased for you. It has also made me more hopeful for applying for jobs at schools with a trainee.

Here I am only applied for one job :ninja: .

Thanks everyone! I didn't even properly apply for this job... I applied for one two weeks ago and wasn't quite right for the role, but, the head really liked me and personally recommended me for this vacancy (which hadn't been advertised) and sent over the application/CV that I used for the first school...

Just thrilled to not have to worry about jobs for next year and now I can just focus purely on my second placement!
Anyone know what other jobs an FE PGCE might be useful for? My hours are sorted now (in pretty much full time after half term for 4 weeks so should get the bulk of my 100 in) and I've been told that we only pass/fail on our final observation so I'm feeling a bit better now.
Original post by gemmam
Anyone know what other jobs an FE PGCE might be useful for? My hours are sorted now (in pretty much full time after half term for 4 weeks so should get the bulk of my 100 in) and I've been told that we only pass/fail on our final observation so I'm feeling a bit better now.

That's good news. Why are you asking about other jobs then? Do you still not want to go into teaching?

I had a friend who did an FE PGCE and she ended up getting a pastoral/support style role at a college. Money isn't great, but she seems to enjoy it. That is my back up plan too, as I don't think I want to teach anymore.
Original post by Samus2

I can't believe it!

Congratulations!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Samus2

I can't believe it!

OMG congratulations! :banana::hugs:

My parent volunteer was SO RUDE to me today. I was actually pretty shocked. I asked her if she would mind sticking something into jotters for me (which she does for the class teacher!) and she snapped at me and said she was here to help the children, not a student (here she rolled her eyes at me!).

I went all icy and said she would be helping the children by doing that :tongue:
That's good news. Why are you asking about other jobs then? Do you still not want to go into teaching?

I had a friend who did an FE PGCE and she ended up getting a pastoral/support style role at a college. Money isn't great, but she seems to enjoy it. That is my back up plan too, as I don't think I want to teach anymore.

I would still like to work in education but I'm not sure about being a teacher (I don't think have enough experience yet to apply for a teaching job starting in September either). I worked as a learning mentor before I started my degree and have a qualification in that already so maybe I could look into something like that and I have been thinking of applying for Explore Learning too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by peony flowers
OMG congratulations! :banana::hugs:

My parent volunteer was SO RUDE to me today. I was actually pretty shocked. I asked her if she would mind sticking something into jotters for me (which she does for the class teacher!) and she snapped at me and said she was here to help the children, not a student (here she rolled her eyes at me!).

I went all icy and said she would be helping the children by doing that :tongue:

That is really rude! What is a parent volunteer? I've never heard of one. I'm assuming this is primary.

Original post by gemmam
I would still like to work in education but I'm not sure about being a teacher (I don't think have enough experience yet to apply for a teaching job starting in September either). I worked as a learning mentor before I started my degree and have a qualification in that already so maybe I could look into something like that and I have been thinking of applying for Explore Learning too.

Oh yeah, if you have that experience then you should be fine. Maybe you will change your mind about teaching once you've done some more.
That is really rude! What is a parent volunteer? I've never heard of one. I'm assuming this is primary.

Oh yeah, if you have that experience then you should be fine. Maybe you will change your mind about teaching once you've done some more.

Maybe but I'd have to apply for ones starting after September if I change my mind; doubt I'll be able to pass an interview currently.

Yeah, Year 1. It's a parent who comes in to 'help', but actually spy on all the kids and report back to the rest of the yummy mummies :tongue:
Yeah, Year 1. It's a parent who comes in to 'help', but actually spy on all the kids and report back to the rest of the yummy mummies :tongue:

You're not wrong there. Except it's spying on the teachers.
Original post by Samus2
Thanks everyone! I didn't even properly apply for this job... I applied for one two weeks ago and wasn't quite right for the role, but, the head really liked me and personally recommended me for this vacancy (which hadn't been advertised) and sent over the application/CV that I used for the first school...

Just thrilled to not have to worry about jobs for next year and now I can just focus purely on my second placement!

Well done!
The jobs seem to have dried up a bit recently. Not had anything new all this week so far.

Oh. Pssh, as if she had the cheek to say that to you before. I'd be fuming haha.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You're not wrong there. Except it's spying on the teachers.

:biggrin:

She's dying to be allowed in the staffroom, funnily enough.

The class teacher was pissed off too. She said she was going to have a word with the head.
:biggrin:

She's dying to be allowed in the staffroom, funnily enough.

The class teacher was pissed off too. She said she was going to have a word with the head.

I say it as a parent myself, but parents in schools are often a bigger pain in the ass than any of the kids.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I say it as a parent myself, but parents in schools are often a bigger pain in the ass than any of the kids.

I've really noticed it on my current placement. There is a queue at the start and at the end of day to complain about something- it's so demoralising!

One even asked to see my CV! :rolleyes:
I've really noticed it on my current placement. There is a queue at the start and at the end of day to complain about something- it's so demoralising!

One even asked to see my CV! :rolleyes:
Unless it was with a view to offering you a job, I sincerely hope you told them to do one.

Quick Reply