The Student Room Group

Which university is best to study undergraduate petroleum engineering ?

I have applied to:
Aberdeen: Petroleum engineering
Manchester: Petroleum engineering
Leeds: Petroleum engineering
Surrey: Chemical and petroleum engineering
Heriot watt: Chemical engineering with oil and gas techenology and diploma in industrial training
:
Which is the best uni to study at and is the course at heriot watt equivalent to doing a petroleum engineering course in the other universities?

I would like to know which will give me the best prospects aswell.
I would choose Manchester as I've heard many good things about it. Its employment prospect from what I've learnt is quite good.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shamulama
I have applied to:
Aberdeen: Petroleum engineering
Manchester: Petroleum engineering
Leeds: Petroleum engineering
Surrey: Chemical and petroleum engineering
Heriot watt: Chemical engineering with oil and gas techenology and diploma in industrial training
:
Which is the best uni to study at and is the course at heriot watt equivalent to doing a petroleum engineering course in the other universities?

I would like to know which will give me the best prospects aswell.

The Heriot Watt degree is not the equivalent of doing petroleum engineering, as it's a chemical engineering degree.

I work in the industry, and there are a huge amount of graduates from Aberdeen and Heriot Watt. But I'm not in the field of petroleum engineering, so can't advise specifically on that (although I have heard that Manchester is meant to be quite good for it).
Like Smack said, the course from HW is chemical engineering, if you did it you would only be possible to enter the downstream section of petroleum engineering however your options would broaden since you can go into so many places with chemical engineering degree.

I would say Manchester, Aberdeen and Leeds are the best universities for the course.
Original post by MarcosTKD
Like Smack said, the course from HW is chemical engineering, if you did it you would only be possible to enter the downstream section of petroleum engineering however your options would broaden since you can go into so many places with chemical engineering degree.

I would say Manchester, Aberdeen and Leeds are the best universities for the course.

Thanks for agreeing with my post, but your assertion that with chemical engineering you could only go into downstream is false. Likely the vast majority of chemical engineering with oil & gas studies graduates from HW will be going into upstream.
Reply 5
Thank you for your replies.
Which course would get me further in the oil industry, Petroleum engineering or chemical engineering?
Reply 6
Petroleum Engineering of course
Reply 7
Which course would get me further in the oil industry, Petroleum engineering or chemical engineering?

Petroleum Engineering of course
Original post by Smack
Thanks for agreeing with my post, but your assertion that with chemical engineering you could only go into downstream is false. Likely the vast majority of chemical engineering with oil & gas studies graduates from HW will be going into upstream.

I may have confused myself, basically what I meant is that most chemical engineers that go into the oil and gas industry usually work with refining crude oil rather than drilling or looking for it. I could be wrong, but that is what I have been told.
(edited 9 years ago)

Depends on what type of position you're looking for. If you're interested in designing, modifying oil production platforms, then chemical engineering, because you're very unlikely to even get into that area with a petroleum degree. If you're interested in what's going on under the ground at the actual reservoir then petroleum, since that's what it's all about.

Original post by MarcosTKD
I may have confused myself, basically what I meant is that most chemical engineers that go into the oil and gas industry usually work with refining crude oil rather than drilling or looking for it. I could be wrong, but that is what I have been told.

See above. Chemical (usually called process in industry) is one of the key disciplines that design, modify and optimise oil production platforms/surface facilities. And there are an awful lot of them, too.
Reply 10
Hey shamulama. I've applied for the exact same universities for the same course as you. I'm going to Surrey for an applicant day visit on the 25th Feb, and an interview in Manchester on the 11th of March. I have an offer from Leeds (which is pretty much my first choice), and Aberdeen also (which I was hopeful would be my 2nd choice if they gave me an offer; which they did).

Since I have both my desired offers, I am tempted to withdraw my other applications, but at the same time, there is a doubtful part of me about firming Leeds. I loved the place when I went there, and I think the course is just perfect. But I keep reading that Manchester is a really good Uni, and most people always say they have a good post grad employment reputation. No one really says Leeds is bad, but I mostly see more good things about Manchester, and this really sways my thinking, and what my final decision would be. I've never been to Manchester, so it would be my first time going on the 11th March.

Does anyone have advice on what would the best approach to this situation be? (Any input would be greatly appreciated; thanks xxx)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd personally say Aberdeen, doubt its much of a difference between that and Manchester tbf.
Reply 12
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
I'd personally say Aberdeen, doubt its much of a difference between that and Manchester tbf.

Hey yeah thanks for that. I've never been to Aberdeen; and I'm not sure if Manchester are going to give me an offer. (Manchester and Leeds offers are higher than Aberdeen. Manchester&Leeds: AAA and Aberdeen:ABB)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hey Lebeco, cheers for the reply. I am personally leaning toward Manchester instead of Leeds simply because everything I have read about it and what everyone says about it. I have been invited to an interview on the 11th of march to manchester aswell. I have recieved offer from leeds for AAA and Heriot Watt BBB however I am still waiting for the Aberdeen and surrey to reply. I have never been to any of the universities I have applied for so could you please tell me what Leeds was like.

On another note, if manchester has given us an interview will they definetely give us an offer. I don't have a single clue about what they could ask me in the interview as no one has posted about it online anywhere. Do you think they will just ask us about our personal statement or will they test our knowledge in topics related to petroleum engineering?
Guys it's not an interview it's an invitation whether you attend it or not you will still get an offer( had a chat with them over the phone ) and oh yeaaah I am going to be at Manchester uni on the 11 march in shaa Allah for the invitation for petroleum eng.
Looking forward to being there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
are you sure freegaza? on my ucas it says "You are attending and interview on the 11th of march at 11:00," pretty sure that means it is an interview not just a simple invitation.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it says it's an invitation well that's what it says on mine but call them up and see what's up

Quick Reply

Latest