The Student Room Group

Urgent PLEASE! about universities requirements

There is a point that i cant understand. most universities require that student must sit for three Alevels in one sitting. Does this mean that i should sit for the three Alevels in one session or i could sit for the three Alevels in different sessions but without resitting anyone of them?! :confused:
Original post by Aladdin5
There is a point that i cant understand. most universities require that student must sit for three Alevels in one sitting. Does this mean that i should sit for the three Alevels in one session or i could sit for the three Alevels in different sessions but without resitting anyone of them?! :confused:

It just means 3 A levels in the same exam period without any retakes, not all 3 on the same day!
I can't imagine they'd have a problem with it but you should ask the admissions tutor to be sure. When they say 'in one sitting' they just mean no-retakes, not that you have to do all your A levels at the same time. Although, why you want to do A levels at different times is a bit of a mystery to me.
Reply 3
Original post by Physflop
It just means 3 A levels in the same exam period without any retakes, not all 3 on the same day!

I dont mean to take them on the same day. for example could i sit for Alevel Mathematics in june 2015 and then sit for Alevel Physics and Arabic on June 2016 or i must sit for the 3 of them either in june 2015 or june 2016
Original post by Aladdin5
I dont mean to take them on the same day. for example could i sit for Alevel Mathematics in june 2015 and then sit for Alevel Physics and Arabic on June 2016 or i must sit for the 3 of them either in june 2015 or june 2016

If they specify all in one sitting, they mean all in the same exam season in the same academic year.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If they specify all in one sitting, they mean all in the same exam season in the same academic year.

This is not always the case. I spoke to a number of admission tutors about this last year (I was studying at home and could only afford to do one A level at a time), I was told that as long as I didn't re-take exams then it wasn't a problem - and their websites said 'in one sitting'. This is why the OP must speak to the admission tutors directly.
Original post by Snufkin
This is not always the case. I spoke to a number of admission tutors about this last year (I was studying at home and could only afford to do one A level at a time), I was told that as long as I didn't re-take exams then it wasn't a problem - and their websites said 'in one sitting'. This is why the OP must speak to the admission tutors directly.

Yes, always a good idea. They used to mean that they were okay with resits within the usual 2 year period as long as a whole year wasn't repeated, but that was when January resits existed, so things may have changed. It also depends on the individual university. I once called Edinburgh several years ago to ask this question and they didn't seem to understand the issue with A levels having possible unit resits because the person on the end of the phone was only familiar with Scottish Highers, so you can't always guarantee to get a straight answer. My interpretation has always been that they want evidence that an applicant is capable of handling the workload required in taking 3 A levels at a time as an indication of their suitability for university level study. Obviously, there are other considerations which may make them bend the rules in some cases.
Original post by Snufkin

Often, though, exceptions will be made for applicants in a non-traditional setting, that won't be made for applicants who are following the traditional route through school and college. A lot of unis do understand that applicants studying A-levels via self study do face disadvantages and problems that students studying at school won't face. It's treated a bit like having extenuating circumstances, which would be another reason the "in one sitting" thing could be ignored.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending