The Student Room Group

Seems to be really tough trying to get a girlfriend

Just don't understand it really, girls seem to take an interest in me, but it just seems to be really hard to actually make any headway getting into a relationship with them. I mean why eye a guy up if their not really that interested. Like I manage to talk to them for a little occasionally but it just seems like their not making any real effort even though they were the ones to initially start eyeing me up. I think they were genuine in their initial intention but it just seems like an uphill struggle trying to get to know them with them seemingly making little effort. Progress is somewhat slow to say the least, just seems to be really hard being a guy in this country. Any ideas?
Yeah us guys get it hard with relationships. We have to try and impress and buy and treat and listen and help and support simply in order to get attention. Girls can do the same just by being attractive. However, life's not fair so just deal with it. Try less casually. Get to know them but in a more flirty way, some girls think you're not interested because you don't "seem" interested when talking to them, yet when in fact we know you're just trying to get to know them. And girls never ever make the first move, that's your job. So if you're that desperate, go make some first moves xD
Ahh, just don't let it get to you, these things happen from time to time.... Eventually you'll meet someone worth it :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I mean why eye a guy up if their not really that interested.

I sometimes look at a girl's booty if she got a fine booty, doesn't mean I want her relationship with her. So, maybe you're just good looking as opposed to getting looks from people who have a genuine proper crush on you.

Alternative theories:
1. They're shy and struggle to talk with you.
2. They're those sorts of annoying girls that hold the weird view that the guy has to make the first move.
3. You're not very interesting to talk to.
They may smell the desperation?

Time to take a new approach; focus on you and your life for now and being the best you can be then see what happens! I guarantee you the girls will notice you more and when you approach them they will be more inclined to give you the time of day.
Hmm, I think you've just been a bit unlucky with the girls you've met tbh :console: I do believe a fair amount of girls out there would make a considerable effort in conversations, although almost inevitably the guy would have to make the first move if anything romantic were to develop. Just make sure you're the best that you can be really, keep positive, don't give up, keep putting yourself in the positions & hopefully you'll find someone suitable very soon! :h:
Reply 6
Original post by joe12345marc
Yeah us guys get it hard with relationships. We have to try and impress and buy and treat and listen and help and support simply in order to get attention. Girls can do the same just by being attractive. However, life's not fair so just deal with it. Try less casually. Get to know them but in a more flirty way, some girls think you're not interested because you don't "seem" interested when talking to them, yet when in fact we know you're just trying to get to know them. And girls never ever make the first move, that's your job. So if you're that desperate, go make some first moves xD

Think you're probably right here, however I often try to avoid a real direct approach as if you make it obvious and over commit yourself its real embarrassing I feel if the girl doesn't reciprocate. I mean do I really have to do the whole impress/treat/listen/help/support a lot as I think its terrain I'm not used to?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I sometimes look at a girl's booty if she got a fine booty, doesn't mean I want her relationship with her. So, maybe you're just good looking as opposed to getting looks from people who have a genuine proper crush on you.

Alternative theories:
1. They're shy and struggle to talk with you.
2. They're those sorts of annoying girls that hold the weird view that the guy has to make the first move.
3. You're not very interesting to talk to.

So a girl should make the first move? (curiousity as even when I like someone I don`t make the first move because I feel shy! but once someone starts speaking to me I just open up and conversation naturally flows!)
Original post by Petro_99
So a girl should make the first move? (curiousity as even when I like someone I don`t make the first move because I feel shy! but once someone starts speaking to me I just open up and conversation naturally flows!)

Your reason for not making a move is legit. I just know some girls that seem to think it's the man's responsibility to make the first move when they don't have any real reason holding them back from doing it themselves.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Your reason for not making a move is legit. I just know some girls that seem to think it's the man's responsibility to make the first move when they don't have any real reason holding them back from doing it themselves.

Ahh I had friends like that, waited days for hot-guy-on-bus but sadly he moved on! But if a girl was going to make the first move, what does she do!?
Ahh I had friends like that, waited days for hot-guy-on-bus but sadly he moved on! But if a girl was going to make the first move, what does she do!?

Basically this bit of your post should be the same for guys:
once someone starts speaking to me I just open up and conversation naturally flows!)

Just start speaking to 'em
Or she could just be playing hard to get? Loads of us think that's a way to see how determined the guy is, don't take it to heart, get talking to her and things will work out x

Quick Reply

Latest