The Student Room Group

Should Wales become a region of England?

Poll

Should Wales become the 10th region of England?

Over the last 20 years we have come to accept the need for increased devolution to regions of the UK and these have come down to existing political boundaries however despite moderate to strong nationalism in Northern Ireland and Scotland, Wales displays very little desire to seek separation however the Welsh government has been aloud to reject reform to Education and Health while also making the Welsh language mandatory in schools along with i suspect a jaded view of Welsh history.

While i acknowledge that Wales would have to retain some powers such as over it's tax and spend, this would allow us to cull the mandatory teaching of the Welsh language and any other potential cultural differences.

So should Wales return to it's place from 1542 to ~1800 and become the tenth region of England.

Scroll to see replies

what the ****?
Reply 2
Original post by zippity.doodah
what the ****?

Do you believe Wales is a nation in its own right or should it become an official region of England.
What have you got against the teaching of Welsh. Leave us alone. I would be tampin' fumin' ragin', Dew dew.
Original post by Rakas21
Do you believe Wales is a nation in its own right or should it become an official region of England.

how is it a region of england? :|
Reply 5
how is it a region of england? :|

It's not, hence the question.
Original post by Rakas21
It's not, hence the question.

so on what basis are you proposing it? it's like asking if scotland should become a part of england
It already is a region of England.
Original post by DeceitfulDove
What have you got against the teaching of Welsh. Leave us alone. I would be tampin' fumin' ragin', Dew dew.

Well said, butty :biggrin:
Reply 9
so on what basis are you proposing it? it's like asking if scotland should become a part of england

Well, it would allow England and Wales to harmonize outside a few bits of tax and spend.

Original post by william walker
It already is a region of England.

Principality, but this would make it akin to Yorkshire.
Wales should be an independent nation.
Reply 11
Original post by DeceitfulDove

Speak English man. :colone:
Reply 12
Original post by barnetlad
Wales should be an independent nation.

Why? Don't you like our bretheryn.
Reply 13
...so you're more or less saying that because Plaid Cymru and Welsh nationalists in general get less media attention than other nationalist parties, the fact that the welsh language creates cultural differences (despite the fact it's one of the oldest spoken languages in the world, and the numbers of welsh speakers is increasing) and that a history told from another perspective is taught that Wales should rejoin England as another region?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
Well, it would allow England and Wales to harmonize outside a few bits of tax and spend.

Principality, but this would make it akin to Yorkshire.

“The ISO 3166-2 entry originated in a traditional understanding of the status of Wales as given in reference works such as the 1976 Oxford Illustrated Dictionary. Earlier this year we were alerted by the Welsh Assembly Government to the fact that the notion ofWales as a principality is now outdated, and thatWales should properly be considered a country.
“Having subsequently received an official statement to this effect from that Government, I wrote on behalf of BSI to the ISO Secretariat in Geneva to request that a change be made in ISO 3166-2 from principality to country at the first available opportunity.

Wales's status has been misrepresented by people who should know better. I'd urge all Plaid members to challenge the use of the word 'principality' to defineWaleswhenever the opportunity arises.
"It's official now our country has no constitutional relationship with the prince of Wales - the relationship is an artificial and pointless one."
Reply 15
Original post by Rakas21
Over the last 20 years we have come to accept the need for increased devolution to regions of the UK and these have come down to existing political boundaries however despite moderate to strong nationalism in Northern Ireland and Scotland, Wales displays very little desire to seek separation however the Welsh government has been aloud to reject reform to Education and Health while also making the Welsh language mandatory in schools along with i suspect a jaded view of Welsh history.

This is not true. There has been more devolution to Wales, but just on lower-profile than what's been going on in Scotland.

I remember reading something a while back where some Welsh MPs claimed that Wales would be ready for independence in about 40 years. Just because they're not as loud mouthed about it as Scotland, doesn't mean it's not happening. (I highly doubt they'd become independent though - their economy is tiny and could support very little, resulting in huge debt in very little time)

Also, try and see what would happen if you told the Welsh to become a region of England. I think it would be very... interesting, with much colourful language involved to put it lightly.
Original post by Rakas21
Speak English man. :colone:

Woman :wink: ...and I do, I also teach it :tongue:
Reply 17
Parts of Wales has seen much stronger nationalist movement than Scotland and Northern Ireland. Welsh nationalism has turned violent especially during 1960-1990, therefore I conclude your point irrelevant.
Reply 18
Original post by aoxa
This is not true. There has been more devolution to Wales, but just on lower-profile than what's been going on in Scotland.

I remember reading something a while back where some Welsh MPs claimed that Wales would be ready for independence in about 40 years. Just because they're not as loud mouthed about it as Scotland, doesn't mean it's not happening. (I highly doubt they'd become independent though - their economy is tiny and could support very little, resulting in huge debt in very little time)

Also, try and see what would happen if you told the Welsh to become a region of England. I think it would be very... interesting, with much colourful language involved to put it lightly.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/24/3-per-cent-back-welsh-independence

The Welsh do want powers (as do many English i might add) but support for independence is extremely low.

The fact that they may come around in 40 years is exactly why we should head it off now. I'm not saying we take all powers away, just that we affirm the Welsh relationship and then we can give them more control in some areas and harmonize with England on others.
Reply 19
Original post by wb25
Parts of Wales has seen much stronger nationalist movement than Scotland and Northern Ireland. Welsh nationalism has turned violent especially during 1960-1990, therefore I conclude your point irrelevant.

ISIS is extremely violent. Are the Muslims lying when they say ISIS does not speak for the majority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending