The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm expecting an offer from Durham (at least the director of studies for my programme said I'd be getting an email from the admissions team soon so I'm assuming I got in) but I also got into York and I'm having a dilemma. It's for an MA in Cultural Heritage Management, part-time and both the universities charge pretty much the same so its just down to slight course variation and the universities themselves. Anyone got any insight/advice?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by Jen92
I'm expecting an offer from Durham (at least the director of studies for my programme said I'd be getting an email from the admissions team soon so I'm assuming I got in) but I also got into York and I'm having a dilemma. It's for an MA in Cultural Heritage Management, part-time and both the universities charge pretty much the same so its just down to slight course variation and the universities themselves. Anyone got any insight/advice?

Maybe you should choose the university with the museums you prefer?
Durham has three museums and the Bowes Museum is not very far. The university is also a World Heritage site.
https://www.dur.ac.uk/museums/

Whilst York seems to have better partnerships with museums, often with funding:
http://www.york.ac.uk/history-of-art/research/partnerships/
Reply 22
Original post by Josb
Maybe you should choose the university with the museums you prefer?
Durham has three museums and the Bowes Museum is not very far. The university is also a World Heritage site.
https://www.dur.ac.uk/museums/

Whilst York seems to have better partnerships with museums, often with funding:
http://www.york.ac.uk/history-of-art/research/partnerships/

Thanks! That is pretty good advice. The fact that Durham is a UNESCO site is definitely a massive plus.I think the only thing that makes me hesitant about the Durham course is it requires you to choose either a professional practice or research pathway and I'm not sure I want to do that. Though, equally York has a wide variety of modular options that I'd struggle to choose between.

I guess I'm just indecisive.
Reply 23
Original post by Jen92
Thanks! That is pretty good advice. The fact that Durham is a UNESCO site is definitely a massive plus.I think the only thing that makes me hesitant about the Durham course is it requires you to choose either a professional practice or research pathway and I'm not sure I want to do that. Though, equally York has a wide variety of modular options that I'd struggle to choose between.

I guess I'm just indecisive.

Just wait the funding decisions. :dontknow:
Reply 24
Hi again. I received an offer a few days ago. How long do you thin it will take the uni to contact me for accommodation and college membership? Do you think they will wait until I pay the deposit?
Reply 25
Original post by Natkarik
Hi again. I received an offer a few days ago. How long do you thin it will take the uni to contact me for accommodation and college membership? Do you think they will wait until I pay the deposit?

Normally you will receive an offer this week. You will have one month to tell the two colleges of your choice. Accommodation is much later I think, perhaps in May-June, but I didn't apply to it last year.
Reply 26
Offer from Durham! :cool:

Who else?
Reply 27
Original post by Josb

Who else?

Félicitations / congrats!
Reply 28
Original post by preverdy
Félicitations / congrats!

Merci :biggrin:
Have you received your offer?

Now the waiting for funding begins. :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:
Reply 29
No, I only just submitted. I'm not holding my breath (for funding) though. Best of luck to you! :-)
Original post by Josb

Who else?

Awesome! Congratulations! And good luck with with the funding!
Reply 31
Hello! I have an offer from Durham (Socio-Cultural Anthropology) and Exeter (Conflict Security and Development).

I'm from the States, and unfortunately visiting the schools is out of the question, but I don't want to rely purely on rankings to make this decision... I realize this is a horribly vague question, but does anyone have any insight or a particularly strong opinion about either school? (In terms of the actual programs, I don't feel any strong inclination towards one or the other, so it hasn't been helpful for making a choice)

Thanks!
Reply 32
Original post by LJayD
Hello! I have an offer from Durham (Socio-Cultural Anthropology) and Exeter (Conflict Security and Development).

I'm from the States, and unfortunately visiting the schools is out of the question, but I don't want to rely purely on rankings to make this decision... I realize this is a horribly vague question, but does anyone have any insight or a particularly strong opinion about either school? (In terms of the actual programs, I don't feel any strong inclination towards one or the other, so it hasn't been helpful for making a choice)

Thanks!

Are you applying for a PhD or a Masters? Perhaps wait and see what funding can you get before making a decision. :dontknow:
Reply 33
Original post by Josb
Are you applying for a PhD or a Masters? Perhaps wait and see what funding can you get before making a decision. :dontknow:

Masters.. guess funding would make it easier to choose! Not expecting too much though unfortunately
Reply 34
Original post by LJayD

Thanks!

I can't say much for Durham, I'm still trying to decide whether I want to go there or not, but I did my Undergraduate degree with Exeter (Cornwall Campus). Assuming you'd be at the main campus though which is actually in Exeter itself. If so I can say that the city is great, not massive but bigger than Durham, I have friends who live there and it has a lot going for it. As a University Exeter has been making leaps and bounds in recent years. It was made University of the Year by the Sunday Times (a leading UK newspaper) a few years back and was accepted into the Russell Group which means more funding etc. It also has a great reputation for research and the facilities and accommodations are pretty good too.

Generally, at least for me I felt it was a little more laid back in terms of lifestyle, you'd either be in Devon or Cornwall which are holiday hot spots for the UK meaning it is generally sunnier than up north and there is a lot of beautiful countryside/coastline to explore.

If there is anything else you'd specifically like to know about Exeter then I'll help if I can.
Reply 35
PhD, Literature, under Gillian Skinner.

We'll hear about AHRC/DDS decisions this week or next.
Reply 36
Original post by ianuam
PhD, Literature, under Gillian Skinner.

We'll hear about AHRC/DDS decisions this week or next.

The AHRC will only give the results in mid-April.
Reply 37
Original post by Josb
The AHRC will only give the results in mid-April.

Sorry - should have clarified - whether or not we're being put forward for AHRC funding by the department.
Reply 38
Original post by ianuam
Sorry - should have clarified - whether or not we're being put forward for AHRC funding by the department.

I'm already shortlisted. :biggrin:
hey all, I received an informal offer today via email for the MA in medieval history. Surprisingly speedy and easy process! Happy days!

Anyone else got offers? Also, how is everyone sorting out accommodation? I couldn't find a college choice on the online application

Latest

Trending

Trending