The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samus2
I GOT THE JOB! So happy and shocked at the moment.

Contract starts on July 1st.

I can't believe it!

Congratulations! That's fantastic.
There is a job going at my placement school... but it starts in June :frown: I'm not sure they'd have me anyway but very nervous about the job application process! I think if I had been able to apply to this job it would have given me the kick up the bottom I need to start properly!
Original post by alabelle
There is a job going at my placement school... but it starts in June :frown: I'm not sure they'd have me anyway but very nervous about the job application process! I think if I had been able to apply to this job it would have given me the kick up the bottom I need to start properly!

Ahh June is a shame. Odd time too. Rules out all this year's trainees. I know what you mean about the job app process. It is intimidating and I am being very picky. I don't want to apply foe anything unless I'm 100%, whereas my course friends are applying for anything because they are desperate for a job. That's the difference with me - I'm not too bothered if I don't get a job. Obviously I want one eventually but I don't see it as the end of the world if I don't get one for September. Rather that than have got something somewhere I didn't want. :dontknow: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Ahh June is a shame. Odd time too. Rules out all this year's trainees. I know what you mean about the job app process. It is intimidating and I am being very picky. I don't want to apply foe anything unless I'm 100%, whereas my course friends are applying for anything because they are desperate for a job. That's the difference with me - I'm not too bothered if I don't get a job. Obviously I want one eventually but I don't see it as the end of the world if I don't get one for September. Rather that than have got something somewhere I didn't want. :dontknow: .

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a maternity cover position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you've seen my plea for advice in the NQT thread, you'll know I'm somewhere in between you and your friends - trying to picky the right school but not wanting to miss an opportunity...I am currently trying to decide whether to apply to a school that I kind of like but interviews before a school I really love.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't rule out 4 year QTS degrees. My degree finished at the end of May. I was on holiday in Sweden I remember during the first week of June. So we must have finished before then.
Original post by Esmeralda4
If you've seen my plea for advice in the NQT thread, you'll know I'm somewhere in between you and your friends - trying to picky the right school but not wanting to miss an opportunity...I am currently trying to decide whether to apply to a school that I kind of like but interviews before a school I really love.

Ah, that is a dilemma. There hasn't been many jobs for me to struggle with deciding yet!

When you say you kind of like it, how much do you like it? Would you be happy working there? You may not even get the first job - in which case the experience could do you good. But then again you might get it :lol: . I don't actually know what to say, it is hard! I probably would apply for both. You may regret it. It doesn't mean you'll get the job. I've known people who have left during an interview day because it's not been for them. If you go to the first interview and don't get a feel for the place you can always leave. At least we've been told by uni that there is no harm being honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, that is a dilemma. There hasn't been many jobs for me to struggle with deciding yet!

When you say you kind of like it, how much do you like it? Would you be happy working there? You may not even get the first job - in which case the experience could do you good. But then again you might get it :lol: . I don't actually know what to say, it is hard! I probably would apply for both. You may regret it. It doesn't mean you'll get the job. I've known people who have left during an interview day because it's not been for them. If you go to the first interview and don't get a feel for the place you can always leave. At least we've been told by uni that there is no harm being honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good advice! I have decided to apply in the end. It was a nice school that I know I'd be happy at and would give lots of support...I just didn't get the same vibe as at the others. Still, I may feel different *if* invited for interview. I in no way expect to get the first job I go for so, like you, see it as a good experience. BUT there is always that chance...I guess I face that decision if it arises. :-P
Good advice! I have decided to apply in the end. It was a nice school that I know I'd be happy at and would give lots of support...I just didn't get the same vibe as at the others. Still, I may feel different *if* invited for interview. I in no way expect to get the first job I go for so, like you, see it as a good experience. BUT there is always that chance...I guess I face that decision if it arises. :-P

And know sometimes it is easy to get over confident. I've only applied for one job and then the other day I'm looking at rent prices in that area and everything, and then I realised...whoops, may not even get an interview! But we all think ahead, so I see where you are coming from.

Let us know what happens anyway and what you decide to do.
And know sometimes it is easy to get over confident. I've only applied for one job and then the other day I'm looking at rent prices in that area and everything, and then I realised...whoops, may not even get an interview! But we all think ahead, so I see where you are coming from.

I will do! Chances are I won't get any of these, it's still fairly early days. Still, nice to stay positive! :-P

As a follow up...The school have just invited me for interview! I sent the application this morning...
As a follow up...The school have just invited me for interview! I sent the application this morning...

WOW, that's fast! Well done though! When is the interview?
WOW, that's fast! Well done though! When is the interview?

I know! I'm proud, but so nervous! It's on 24th...They are on half term next week.

Now got to try and think up lesson ideas!
I know! I'm proud, but so nervous! It's on 24th...They are on half term next week.

Now got to try and think up lesson ideas!

Everyone will be nervous for their first interview. Anyway, you have all half term to think of ideas :tongue:
A really nice, absolutely perfect job came up this morning and it's not being advertised until next week so that puts me at a slight advantage but it's require moving from my hometown to my old uni town. I'd love to move back to Nottingham but my fiance works in Staffordshire so it leaves me a bit stuffed. I'd feel a whole lot better about the situation if they could just start releasing jobs in my hometown already. I haven't even seen one yet and we're supposed to be a shortage subject!
Everyone will be nervous for their first interview. Anyway, you have all half term to think of ideas :tongue:

Ha I wish! My half term was this week! :-P But...I have a few ideas so not too worried.
Ha I wish! My half term was this week! :-P But...I have a few ideas so not too worried.

Oh, my bad :colondollar: . Good to know you have some ideas though.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
A really nice, absolutely perfect job came up this morning and it's not being advertised until next week so that puts me at a slight advantage but it's require moving from my hometown to my old uni town. I'd love to move back to Nottingham but my fiance works in Staffordshire so it leaves me a bit stuffed. I'd feel a whole lot better about the situation if they could just start releasing jobs in my hometown already. I haven't even seen one yet and we're supposed to be a shortage subject!

I know how you feel. There are hardly any jobs around here for me, so I've accepted that I may have to move. I won't just move anywhere though - only places I'm comfortable with, which includes my uni city so I've been looking there too. The thing with your fiance is a pain though. My boyfriend has just got a job in Stoke (nowhere near us), and I'm looking all over the place, but we have both been so desperate for work that I think we just thought we would cross that bridge when we get to it.

I guess it's still early days being Feb. There may be more jobs coming up in your area soon. I guess there is no harm applying though. You don't want to be jobless in Sept and then look back and think I should have applied for the Nottingham job. :dontknow:
I passed my first masters level essay :woo: and finished placement! Now the next essay needs to be started...!
Oh, my bad :colondollar: . Good to know you have some ideas though.

I know how you feel. There are hardly any jobs around here for me, so I've accepted that I may have to move. I won't just move anywhere though - only places I'm comfortable with, which includes my uni city so I've been looking there too. The thing with your fiance is a pain though. My boyfriend has just got a job in Stoke (nowhere near us), and I'm looking all over the place, but we have both been so desperate for work that I think we just thought we would cross that bridge when we get to it.

I guess it's still early days being Feb. There may be more jobs coming up in your area soon. I guess there is no harm applying though. You don't want to be jobless in Sept and then look back and think I should have applied for the Nottingham job. :dontknow:

I always say it's better to look back and say I should have applied than I shouldn't have taken this job. You don't want to end up in a job you're not happy with.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Be picky with jobs - after all, you've got to work there for a year. I really had to weigh up the two jobs that I applied for - great schools with a great NQT programme, but, it also means moving back in with my parents.
In the end, I took it even though it means moving back in with my parents - saving money and having small things like not having to do my own food shopping is going to be incredibly helpful during my NQT year.

If you're unsure about a job - apply anyway! If you get invited to interview, you can look round the school and see if it feels right for you.

The first school I interviewed at, I was thinking part way through - what happens if I get offered the job and something better comes up? Which
,with hindsight, says that probably the school wasn't right for me. I didn't get that feeling at all on the second interview.

If you get an interview - go with your gut instinct. You should be given a tour of the school, you should get the opportunity to meet members of your potential department and you should get the opportunity to see the main staffroom.

There's more to just teaching than the curriculum and the pupils - there's also your colleagues and for me, having coffee with my potential department clarified that it was a school I would be happy in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending