The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jen92
I can't say much for Durham, I'm still trying to decide whether I want to go there or not, but I did my Undergraduate degree with Exeter (Cornwall Campus). Assuming you'd be at the main campus though which is actually in Exeter itself. If so I can say that the city is great, not massive but bigger than Durham, I have friends who live there and it has a lot going for it. As a University Exeter has been making leaps and bounds in recent years. It was made University of the Year by the Sunday Times (a leading UK newspaper) a few years back and was accepted into the Russell Group which means more funding etc. It also has a great reputation for research and the facilities and accommodations are pretty good too.

Generally, at least for me I felt it was a little more laid back in terms of lifestyle, you'd either be in Devon or Cornwall which are holiday hot spots for the UK meaning it is generally sunnier than up north and there is a lot of beautiful countryside/coastline to explore.

If there is anything else you'd specifically like to know about Exeter then I'll help if I can.

I am currently doing my undergrad degree at exeter, so if you have any questions you could pm me?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by 10thCeurope
hey all, I received an informal offer today via email for the MA in medieval history. Surprisingly speedy and easy process! Happy days!

Anyone else got offers? Also, how is everyone sorting out accommodation? I couldn't find a college choice on the online application

Durham is indeed very fast.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will receive an email giving you access to an online form, where you will state your two colleges of choice.
Original post by Josb
Once you have accepted your offer, you will receive an email giving you access to an online form, where you will state your two colleges of choice.

aaahhhaaaa! well that is good news! Anyone applying for a taught history course?
Reply 43
Original post by Josb

Really? I got an email saying the colleges weren't being sorted out till March! Grats on the shortlisting, btw.
Reply 44
Original post by ianuam
Really? I got an email saying the colleges weren't being sorted out till March! Grats on the shortlisting, btw.

Thanks!
Last year I received an email asking me to choose a college on 3 March. Then you have one month to make your choice.
Reply 45
Hi. I've applied to Chad's and have already paid the deposit, so I think I will get a place there. Do you know anything about the self-catered rooms in this college? Which ones are better: those in Trinity Hall or those in Hallgarth House?
At first having an en-suite room was a priority, but now it's not that important to me.
Reply 46
Original post by Natkarik
Hi. I've applied to Chad's and have already paid the deposit, so I think I will get a place there. Do you know anything about the self-catered rooms in this college? Which ones are better: those in Trinity Hall or those in Hallgarth House?
At first having an en-suite room was a priority, but now it's not that important to me.

Hallgarth house is a... house, so you will share facilities with four other students, but the location is perfect.
You will also share facilities in the rooms on the college site.
Trinity hall rooms are ensuite.

If you want an ensuite, choose Ustinov or St Cuthbert, they have 60 of them in a good location (see my map above). The college is not as traditional as St Chads though.
Reply 47
Hi there, I'm from the states and I've accepted my offer for Conservation of Archaeological & Museum Objects (MA)!

Original post by Natkarik

I've been placed in St Chad's. I've also been wondering which accommodation I'd prefer to be in, though I'm thinking Trinity Hall or Epiphany House. Not sure if I have a preference on self-catered vs. catered either. :dontknow:
Any one coming for MBA in 2015 at Durham University kindly join our facebook group (Durham University MBA 2015 Intake)
Reply 49
Do they inform you that you have been placed in the college before they tell you whether you have accommodation then? I have submitted my form for self catered accomadtion in (1) Hatfield and (2) Greys but I was under the impression that you wouldn't find out which college and accommodation you were in until June!

I accepted my offer for LLM International Trade and Commercial Law a couple of weeks ago and submitted by college and accommodation preferences a couple of days ago together with my deposit payment.

Can't wait to start in September now!
Reply 50
Original post by JML1215
Do they inform you that you have been placed in the college before they tell you whether you have accommodation then? I have submitted my form for self catered accomadtion in (1) Hatfield and (2) Greys but I was under the impression that you wouldn't find out which college and accommodation you were in until June!

I accepted my offer for LLM International Trade and Commercial Law a couple of weeks ago and submitted by college and accommodation preferences a couple of days ago together with my deposit payment.

Can't wait to start in September now!

I was contacted about my college membership pretty shortly after I'd submitted the form for membership, and just this past week they sent me the accommodation preference form. The information I was given on this form told me I wouldn't know where I'd be accommodated until June/July-ish.

I guess finding out about membership could happen at any point between now and June, though I don't believe accommodation will be confirmed until then.
Reply 51
Original post by ralesa
I was contacted about my college membership pretty shortly after I'd submitted the form for membership, and just this past week they sent me the accommodation preference form. The information I was given on this form told me I wouldn't know where I'd be accommodated until June/July-ish.

I guess finding out about membership could happen at any point between now and June, though I don't believe accommodation will be confirmed until then.

Fair enough, that makes sense, I have paid my deposit so I am just going to play the waiting game now...

Congratulations on getting St Chads though. It looks like a really nice college from what I have read! I would have applied there but for the fact that they have a very limited number of standard self catered rooms plus it's quite far from where my lectures will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
I was accepted to the taught MA Museum & Aretfact Studies back in November and I found it rather odd that they gave me an offer so quickly (like within a week) as I'm still completing my undergrad in Canada...also they didn't even contact any of my references which seemed strange.

I went with Josephine Butler, it looked like a good mix of young and old with the undergrad/postgrad element and staying in residence seemed like the best option as the idea of looking for a flat from overseas is kind of a headache.
Hey, I received an uncon offer from Durham last week to do a PhD in English. Don't think I'll be accepting it though as they told me that I had not been put forward for funding. I waited about three weeks for my results, and my allocated supervisor was completely different from the one I'd indicated on my application. Non EU and non Commonwealth student. Nice to receive an offer even if I won't be going - we all need some good vibes in our lives.
Reply 54
Original post by iceflyier
Hey, I received an uncon offer from Durham last week to do a PhD in English. Don't think I'll be accepting it though as they told me that I had not been put forward for funding. I waited about three weeks for my results, and my allocated supervisor was completely different from the one I'd indicated on my application. Non EU and non Commonwealth student. Nice to receive an offer even if I won't be going - we all need some good vibes in our lives.

You didn't contact a prospective supervisor before applying?
has anyone received offers for the English MA yet? Wondering how long I might be waiting on hearing anything back...
Reply 56
Original post by BayBee323
has anyone received offers for the English MA yet? Wondering how long I might be waiting on hearing anything back...

Offers have been sent... You should contact them.
Original post by Josb
Offers have been sent... You should contact them.

oh really :frown: I only sent in my app like last week, I emailed the English office and she said she was still accepting applications

How do you know all offers have been sent?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by BayBee323
I only sent in my app like last week, I emailed the English office and she said she was still accepting applications

How do you know offers have been sent?

Well I have one, from the History department. If you have applied last week, you should wait at least two weeks.
Original post by Josb
Well I have one, from the History department. If you have applied last week, you should wait at least two weeks.

Oh I see, I'm guessing it might be dependant on the department itself then. The English Literary Studies MA deadline isn't until July so I could probably end up waiting a while, ah well

thanks anyway!

Latest