The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabertooth
Good luck with attempting uni tomorrow. :smile: I saw your earlier post but couldn't reply as I was on my phone. I also suffered from depression when I was at university and it had a massive impact on my attendance/work. What you describe (the lack of enjoyment and interest/motivation etc) sounds a lot like pretty severe depression. It's good you've been to a doctor about it and sertraline helps a lot of people. I don't know if you're aware but generally it takes about 6-8weeks for antidepressants to reach their full effectiveness so you're still in early days with that. I hope it works for you but it's worth bearing in mind that it may not and you may have to try a different antidepressant. It might be good if you get a doctor's note for your uni just in case you need extensions on work or anything. What you said about it being a blip and hoping that you'll wake up and everything will be fine - I felt like that too sometimes, or maybe I just needed to try harder and things would be good - sadly depression generally doesn't work like that. Don't feel bad about going for counseling, that's what they're there for! I hope things improve for you soon.

Thank you for your kind words <3. The Sertraline is having ups and downs, within the first week I felt a lot better taking it but over the past few weeks my mood had dropped back down again. I'm seeing my GP once a week at the minute to monitor it and she said the same as you that it can take a good 6 weeks to kick in. I'm just sticking with it, and hopefully things will improve. I'm just always worried about university work on top and it slipping too far behind even though I know my own health should come first

--------
I successfully made it to my two hour lecture today, and actually found it OK. I think it helped that my housemate is in this lecture with me so it made getting out a bit easier. I've also managed to do an hour in the library so already this day is getting better. I'm just very tired right now, I've slept so little this week and when I have it was full of disruptions and bad dreams, hoping I can get some rest over the weekend
Brain's gone into nope mode with 3/4 of my essay left to write and it's due at 4. :frown:
Original post by Valvopus
Brain's gone into nope mode with 3/4 of my essay left to write and it's due at 4. :frown:

:hugs: Am on skype if talking things over would help. :smile:
so ****ing ridiculous.
Original post by superwolf
:hugs: Am on skype if talking things over would help. :smile:

I see you :smile:
Thanks but I need to just get this done and talking would just be me putting it off. :hugs:
:grouphugs: for all (especially those having a bad day) and welcome to the newbie! :wavey:
Original post by ScaryScience
so ****ing ridiculous.

:console: What's up?

Original post by Valvopus
I see you :smile:
Thanks but I need to just get this done and talking would just be me putting it off. :hugs:

:yy: Good luck, and maybe catch you later. :smile:
The bad thing about living in the north is that there are virtually no proper jobs here.
Original post by ScaryScience
so ****ing ridiculous.

Whats up lovely? :hugs:
Original post by james1211
The bad thing about living in the north is that there are virtually no proper jobs here.

I disagree, there are plenty of jobs I'd like in the North, it's just that the employers don't want me. :nopity:
I disagree, there are plenty of jobs I'd like in the North, it's just that the employers don't want me. :nopity:

Aww, i'd have thought there'd be a lot around your way as it's quite a large conurbation, is it NHS work you're looking for?
Original post by james1211
Aww, i'd have thought there'd be a lot around your way as it's quite a large conurbation, is it NHS work you're looking for?

Mostly NHS, but I'm going to start applying to health charities as well I think.
Mostly NHS, but I'm going to start applying to health charities as well I think.

Keep trying with agencies too, they can sometimes find things in places you'd not have known to look!

It's kind of annoying at the minute, because if i were able to move to London there's a shortage of workers in my field there and companies are virtually paying people to live there to work for them, but i can't because my girlfriend lives here and doesn't want me to move.
Original post by purple-duck
:hugs: Sorry project stuff is being busy! Hope you can think more positively - hope you're doing well.

Well, we get a glimpse of what our supervisor has meant with: "Don't worry, you will get exceptiuons and be able to work at night."

now getting ill, though ... will spent evening in bed with film. :cool:
I guess I had put all my mental energy into trying to convince them to let me out of hospital, and now i'm out, i'm lost. Did a bad thing last night and ended up in A&E but thankfully no psych hospital admission.
Can anyone give advice on what to expect from an initial telephone mental health assessment (adults services) i.e. questions asked etc
Original post by PandaWho
Teddies are the best :yep:
Could you listen with one headphone in? The distraction on the brain may help you.
When im in a paranoid episode i often find distracting my brain helps so much to forget about the paranoia. What about colouring or doing a jigsaw online? The focus may help you.
I dunno how long ill be awake but if you need a chat anytime just PM me :smile: :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not quite sure what happened last night

Spoiler

but if it happens again I will keep those ideas in mind, thank you. :hugs:

------

Had a mini breakdown in class, silently, so no one noticed lol. Guess silent crying is good for that, yay. Can't do uni anymore, can't move back home, can't do anything, feel so lost and trapped. Don't know how to cope with things anymore. :cry2: Everything just seems to be too much.
My heart is racing and my head is pounding :sigh: Just want to sleep but I've got so much I need to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Going out and have to be sociable. :headfire: With safe people, but I just want to sleep. :sad:
Original post by Anonymous #2
My heart is racing and my head is pounding :sigh: Just want to sleep but I've got so much I need to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rant at me if you want? Would do something else if I could but I can't so I'll offer that :redface: :hugs:

Original post by Pathway
Not quite sure what happened last night

Spoiler

but if it happens again I will keep those ideas in mind, thank you. :hugs:

------

Had a mini breakdown in class, silently, so no one noticed lol. Guess silent crying is good for that, yay. Can't do uni anymore, can't move back home, can't do anything, feel so lost and trapped. Don't know how to cope with things anymore. :cry2: Everything just seems to be too much.

:jumphug:

------
All over the place today, going between laughing and crying ridiculously quickly but with bad thoughts added in to both :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest